Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Computer Build Question.
Posted: 07 September 2012 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2005-10-18

For rendering you can’t get much better or faster than that system spec.

I have two systems based on the 3930K, O/C to 4.2 Ghz, with VERY similar specs to those listed, except I have nvidia 580 GTX 3GB graphics cards in mine.

AMD have absolutely NOTHING to touch these Intel processors, trust me, I also have a six core phenom II o/c to 3.9 ghz, based system and the Intels are at least twice as quick.

S.K.

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2009-02-04

Im out of the loop in regards to AMD vs Intel in 2012 and i keep hearing conflicting things, for my next system I will just go and look at some benchmarks and let those do the talking. TomsHardware guide used to be a good one, think i head over there now in fact.

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dogz

Posted: 07 September 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2004-01-31

I’m afraid AMD’s latest efforts haven’t really been up to scratch the trouble is AMD’s Bulldozer core was designed with servers in mind and has features that aren’t generally used on the desktop so they’ve been lacking in desktop performance (the ten year old design found in the Phenoms was actually outperforming them in some applications). The latest core revisions are starting to offer a bit of promise with the Steamroller cores apparently bringing improvement in actual performance but they still aren’t up to Intel in raw performance I’m afraid.

Basics of the system are good (I run the 3930K myself) the only changes I’d make are -
A 256GB SSD you’ll certainly notice the difference in size, even now with improvements in controller tech the performance of SSD’s still improve as they grow in capacity.

Swap the RAM for two 8GB modules, I’m using two 8GB Corsair Vengeance modules which leaves plenty of slots to upgrade and in some cases dual channel actually outperforms quad channel (source of info - Tomshardware and Anandtech). The G-Skill Ripjaw modules are supposed to be pretty good by the way).

I’d also look at the motherboard and ask yourself if you’re going to use all the extra features that you’re buying. I simply couldn’t justify the extra cost and choose an Asus P9X79 Pro, darn good performance board with all of the overclocking features of the pricier models.

2 of 2