6 of 7
It’s just too bad . . . 
Posted: 03 September 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-12-14
RKane_1 - 03 September 2012 11:23 AM

Question to Poser users…

Would you guys be happy with, instead of Genesis, V5 and M5 being released as separate Poser products with now all of the content made for each available and SOME (certainly not all the Genesis morphs) available on them such as the evolution and most of the characters for the individual V5 & M5 figures available.

This would provide you with new Poser ready models and a slew of clothing, morphs and products, but maybe not so much heavy lifting for DAZ3D in the short term.

I think if DAZ did these two things (Something for the Poser users and a solid manual), that would make many in the DAZ community a lot happier, then they should spend time on ensuring more stability in the 4.5 platform, which is sorely needed.

I wouldn’t be happy with a V5 and a M5 - that is missing my concerns - purpose build meshes or “one size fits all”. 

Let me take a few minutes to explain why.

What does a separate V5 & M5 have that V4 & M4 doesn’t?  Nothing from my perspective.  A whole cottage industry sprung up making products to correct the problems with the V4 & M4 meshes.  The weight mapping capabilities of Poser 9/2012 addressed the last remaining issues, in my opinion.

What genesis does do (the only thing that makes it worth taking up hard drive space in my opinion) is the ability to make the characters that DAZ dropped.  I don’t need another Vicky - I have 150 or so V4 characters, and a few of the other variations (A4, G4, S4, and SF4),  I was very disappointed by the Gen4 versions of The Girl, Aiko & Hiro - they were completely lacking in personality and the vendors noticed that - how many A4 & G4 characters were created?  Not too many.  We never got a Gen 4 David, Luke or Laura - She Freak was ignored and Stephanie 4 was so late to the party that very few items have S4 morphs in them. 

The clothing content issue has been resolved on the Poser side by using Wardrobe Wizard or Xdresser for the base mesh and then the Morphing Clothes script to put any morphs the character needs, so the <insert figure here> doesn’t have any clothing issue is addressed.  Not perfectly mind you, but I get a 90% solution, and as a hobbyist, that is good enough.

What I want is Gen 5 versions of all of the Gen 3 figures.  I want a full range of figures.  I am most certainly not interested in the “Logan’s Run” world that DAZ appears to have embraced as far as figure development goes.

The monster making capability in genesis is interesting, but if I need a monster, I’ll get a purpose designed one.  Not to mention the fact that while being able to add an extra pair of arms to a character is neat - I would be a lot more impressed if someone got a shirt on them.

As far as the “slew of new clothing”, it simply doesn’t exist.  In the year that genesis has been out on the market, I have seen exactly ONE original outfit (the short order cook - that is neat) that made me think about getting the genesis plug-in for Wardrobe Wizard.  The only place you can get more than a few outfits for genesis is DAZ.  Almost all of the clothing for genesis at ‘Rosity is made by 1 vendor, and genesis support is practically non-existent at every other storefront.

For the price of a couple of outfits, I can convert any piece of clothing from 1 figure to any other figure - which has fairly ominous implications for clothing content vendors.  Once I get a good outfit - say a male business suit - the next business suit has to be miles better than the first one for me to justify purchasing it.

The clothing vendors that are still here at DAZ for the most part are only interested in making impractical armor, skankwear or fantasy clothing.  And they aren’t taking requests, unless it is something that they are already interested in.

It is all a moot point anyway.  For DAZ to release a stand alone V5 & M5, they have to be willing to stand up and say that they misjudged the market.  I don’t believe their corporate ego will allow that based on how DAZ has been run since the merger.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 03 September 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  513
Joined  2006-05-04
fixme12 - 03 September 2012 09:42 AM

Dazstudio 4 is Free, so it can’t be no excuse for the PA creators to test this and see the product works in both programs!

that ‘s not what i call support for both programs…
again if it’s poser everything ‘s fine, if it’s only daz everybody freaks out!

Actually, I have the Now free version of DS and never use it, being a Poser user.  But I don’t really mind DAZ selling to it’s Genesis market and excluding Poser users a bit.  After all, a mouse click takes one to rendo where there is tons of poser stuff and the prices are lower.  In my case, my only beef with DAZ is the changes to the PC.

DAZ has every right to market and sell what it wishes and customers have every right to purchase what they wish, from whom they wish.  I find no reason to complain about what DAZ chooses to offer.

Posted: 03 September 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2003-12-23

by Dark Rider:
DAZ has every right to market and sell what it wishes and customers have every right to purchase what they wish, from whom they wish.  I find no reason to complain about what DAZ chooses to offer.

Agree wholehearted!

Signature 

= MY DAZ PRODUCTS =

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2005-07-29
ssgbryan - 03 September 2012 03:20 PM

It is all a moot point anyway.  For DAZ to release a stand alone V5 & M5, they have to be willing to stand up and say that they misjudged the market.  I don’t believe their corporate ego will allow that based on how DAZ has been run since the merger.

It sounds like you are happy with the content you have for the figures you possess, then and, if not, there are other companies and other figures available for Poser out there.

There are many places that sell content for those figures that you have.

Please summarize for me, what DAZ must do to either “do right by you” or , if they cannot, please realize they won’t be going backwards from the revolutionary step they have made in figure creation.

I, among others, applaud DAZ for making such a figure. It is amazing and the “slew of new clothing” really comes from the old clothes made for M4,M3,D3,V4,V3,A3,Freak3,Freak4, and others. I am using things I haven’t touched before and using it on all sorts of new looking figures.

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
Dark Rider - 03 September 2012 04:50 PM

My whine is that I dislike the new coupon intensely, but I’ll not go into it here when there are so many wonderful vintages of whine from both sides of the argument to sip. I think I have some “Jeez!” here somewhere.

I hope I am still alive when bandwidth grows enough to make these forums live, so I can watch people make faces at each other in them.

yeah, I am not a fan of it either nor the inability of the forum to be able to imbed pci from other websites without downloading them myself and then adding as an attachment. Any reason for not being able to link pics any more? That way it won’t take up their space, at least. I just don’t understand.

I also miss the store’s ability to tell me if I bought something before but I understand there is a new app for that.

And, of course…. the lack of documentation.

Signature 

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-04

@RKane_1:

I am using things I haven’t touched before and using it on all sorts of new looking figures.

Were I not so experienced in Poser, the above line would get me interested in DS.  I own (as does any 3D freak) hundreds, perhaps thousands of things that are never used.  I’m glad you are getting a chance to use yours.

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
Dark Rider - 03 September 2012 04:55 PM

@RKane_1:

I am using things I haven’t touched before and using it on all sorts of new looking figures.

Were I not so experienced in Poser, the above line would get me interested in DS.  I own (as does any 3D freak) hundreds, perhaps thousands of things that are never used.  I’m glad you are getting a chance to use yours.

*chuckle* You could always send me your hand-me-downs. *chuckle* Kidding.

I have been playing dress up and some stuff made for the freak looks downright sexy on V5. *chuckle*

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-04
RKane_1 - 03 September 2012 04:54 PM
Dark Rider - 03 September 2012 04:50 PM

My whine is that I dislike the new coupon intensely, but I’ll not go into it here when there are so many wonderful vintages of whine from both sides of the argument to sip. I think I have some “Jeez!” here somewhere.

I hope I am still alive when bandwidth grows enough to make these forums live, so I can watch people make faces at each other in them.

yeah, I am not a fan of it either nor the inability of the forum to be able to imbed pci from other websites without downloading them myself and then adding as an attachment. Any reason for not being able to link pics any more? That way it won’t take up their space, at least. I just don’t understand.

I also miss the store’s ability to tell me if I bought something before but I understand there is a new app for that.

And, of course…. the lack of documentation.

If you find that new app, can you post a URL?  I have been slow to buy anything not new here because of that.  I am sure DAZ is losing sales because of it and we lose chances to buy things we want.

Posted: 03 September 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-04
RKane_1 - 03 September 2012 04:57 PM
Dark Rider - 03 September 2012 04:55 PM

@RKane_1:

*chuckle* You could always send me your hand-me-downs. *chuckle* Kidding.

I have been playing dress up and some stuff made for the freak looks downright sexy on V5. *chuckle*

The reverse can be highly amusing as well :-D

Posted: 03 September 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3519
Joined  2009-08-05
RKane_1 - 03 September 2012 11:23 AM

Question to Poser users…

Would you guys be happy with, instead of Genesis, V5 and M5 being released as separate Poser products with now all of the content made for each available and SOME (certainly not all the Genesis morphs) available on them such as the evolution and most of the characters for the individual V5 & M5 figures available.

This would provide you with new Poser ready models and a slew of clothing, morphs and products, but maybe not so much heavy lifting for DAZ3D in the short term.

I think if DAZ did these two things (Something for the Poser users and a solid manual), that would make many in the DAZ community a lot happier, then they should spend time on ensuring more stability in the 4.5 platform, which is sorely needed.

I wouldn’t be happy with a V5 and a M5 - that is missing my concerns - purpose build meshes or “one size fits all”. 

Let me take a few minutes to explain why.

What does a separate V5 & M5 have that V4 & M4 doesn’t?  Nothing from my perspective.  A whole cottage industry sprung up making products to correct the problems with the V4 & M4 meshes.  The weight mapping capabilities of Poser 9/2012 addressed the last remaining issues, in my opinion.

What genesis does do (the only thing that makes it worth taking up hard drive space in my opinion) is the ability to make the characters that DAZ dropped.  I don’t need another Vicky - I have 150 or so V4 characters, and a few of the other variations (A4, G4, S4, and SF4),  I was very disappointed by the Gen4 versions of The Girl, Aiko & Hiro - they were completely lacking in personality and the vendors noticed that - how many A4 & G4 characters were created?  Not too many.  We never got a Gen 4 David, Luke or Laura - She Freak was ignored and Stephanie 4 was so late to the party that very few items have S4 morphs in them. 

The clothing content issue has been resolved on the Poser side by using Wardrobe Wizard or Xdresser for the base mesh and then the Morphing Clothes script to put any morphs the character needs, so the <insert figure here> doesn’t have any clothing issue is addressed.  Not perfectly mind you, but I get a 90% solution, and as a hobbyist, that is good enough.

What I want is Gen 5 versions of all of the Gen 3 figures.  I want a full range of figures.  I am most certainly not interested in the “Logan’s Run” world that DAZ appears to have embraced as far as figure development goes.

The monster making capability in genesis is interesting, but if I need a monster, I’ll get a purpose designed one.  Not to mention the fact that while being able to add an extra pair of arms to a character is neat - I would be a lot more impressed if someone got a shirt on them.

As far as the “slew of new clothing”, it simply doesn’t exist.  In the year that genesis has been out on the market, I have seen exactly ONE original outfit (the short order cook - that is neat) that made me think about getting the genesis plug-in for Wardrobe Wizard.  The only place you can get more than a few outfits for genesis is DAZ.  Almost all of the clothing for genesis at ‘Rosity is made by 1 vendor, and genesis support is practically non-existent at every other storefront.

For the price of a couple of outfits, I can convert any piece of clothing from 1 figure to any other figure - which has fairly ominous implications for clothing content vendors.  Once I get a good outfit - say a male business suit - the next business suit has to be miles better than the first one for me to justify purchasing it.

The clothing vendors that are still here at DAZ for the most part are only interested in making impractical armor, skankwear or fantasy clothing.  And they aren’t taking requests, unless it is something that they are already interested in.

Stand alone Figures are dying. Morphs for a central base is the in thing.  Daz didn’t misjudge the market, they are re-defining it. If you’re happy with tons of stand alone figures with limited support and flexability then good for you. I prefer one figure that can do it all. Lets see how long all the new stand alone figures coming out stay in the limelight. Lets see how well they are supported. I already know the answer. They would make more money being morphs for Genesis:) People love choice and the freedom to blend and use what they want from their favourite items. No stand alone figure can offer that but Genesis.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 03 September 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
Dark Rider - 03 September 2012 04:59 PM

If you find that new app, can you post a URL?  I have been slow to buy anything not new here because of that.  I am sure DAZ is losing sales because of it and we lose chances to buy things we want.

It was by Taozen, I believe. Let me dig around a bit and i think I can find it.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2012 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

Found it

http://taosoft.dk/software/dazhm/

He also has a Download and Wishlist manager as well.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-04
RKane_1 - 03 September 2012 05:39 PM

Found it

http://taosoft.dk/software/dazhm/

He also has a Download and Wishlist manager as well.

My sincere thanks!  I will have to install some Microsoft stuff first as my current system is not only puny, but lives in shame under Win Vista Premium. But I look forward to trying it.

Posted: 03 September 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1156
Joined  2004-11-07

Reading all this here there is only one thing I can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWuJvuGjFdo

Posted: 03 September 2012 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2760
Joined  2007-12-25

I’m not sure I understand—are you saying you want updated versions of the Gen 3 figures that are still standalone, but have better bend morphs or UV mapping or what? I mean, we do have Gen 5 versions of almost all the Gen3 figures. I think we’re missing Luke, Laura, Matt, Maddie, and the baby at this point. The rest are not only available as Genesis shapes, but you can blend between them, which is something you couldn’t do in Gen3. You don’t have to just choose between “realistic,” “anime,” and “toon.” You can blend your own variations.

As for monsters… I guess purpose-designed ones are good, but what if you need several related monsters in the same scene, but showing variations? Unless the figure you bought has a bunch of shape morphs, you’re stuck with clone monsters. What if you want non-human characters with some monster attributes, but not completely in the monster category?

Then again, if you didn’t like A4 being a morph of V4, this probably isn’t a feature that appeals to you. :shrug: I found myself mixing lots and lots of morphs from different 4th gen sets to make my own unique manga and alien characters, and I really enjoyed that flexibility. Genesis isn’t quite there yet (though the GenX product certainly helps!) but I see where it’s going, and I’m looking forward to being able to fit clothes and accessories onto whatever blended figure I want for the scene I’m creating.

I completely agree with you about the need for shirts that can handle extra arms, however. ;)

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

6 of 7