Digital Art Zone

5 of 7
It’s just too bad . . . 
Posted: 03 September 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2004-09-27
fonpaolo - 03 September 2012 06:17 AM

Sorry Richard, It’s the same story every time in every forum, always the same old story…. sick

You’re absolutely right. So why bother anymore? Most DS users just can’t seem to comprehend our issues and try to make us feel guilty for asking for the same treatment we’ve had for years and that a lot of us have paid to have for years. Daz is apparently not concerned with how many long time spending customers have cancelled their memberships, the ones in the process of doing so, or the ones that barely spend here anymore if at all. Before anyone says again that the PA’s choose what to create, we get that, but if Daz really does want our money why can’t they commission Gen4 products from some of the PA’s that do still want to make Gen 4 products?

I suppose we should just cling to this “Poser users will be in heaven” remark for the next however many months until we most likely get an update to the exporter with 1 or 2 less clicks.

We’ve all been ridiculously patient waiting for things to even out around here, and yes, it is the same old story.

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1156
Joined  2004-11-07

I find it quite interesting that people are saying it is easier to make content for genesis then for previous{poser friendly} DAZ figures.
Well duh, the new tools in studio 4 pro were specifically designed to make, making content for genesis easy. If DAZ had put the effort in to the same tool for poser/previous DAZ figures, it would be as easy.

Me? I’m out because I can no longer deal with DAZ’s consistently broken apps.

Posted: 03 September 2012 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  825
Joined  2003-10-09

Due to my new “lurking” state at DAZ, again I come late to the party. :-(

I dropped my PC membership quite a while ago.

I have a copy of Studio4 and a few of the basic Genesis characters and fewer Genesis clothes but my well intentioned experiments with it on a secondary computer (of sufficient power) were unimpressive so I’ve not adopted the Studio4/Genesis paradigm.  I still do all my real work with Studio3A, a few of the basic plug-ins and my vast library of people, places & things from “Millenium Man” days(i.e. Michael1) through Michael4.  For me there is absolutely no advantage to moving on to Studio4 & Genesis.

Someone early in the thread mentioned DAZ’s wacky priorities where new & shiny outweigh reliability & documentation.  I resonated with that observation.

DAZ always seems to think that new is better.  Well, yes it can be, but I don’t think DAZ carried it out well.
The new store site, especially the account related pages is such a step backwards. :-(

Why is it that I keep hearing a song in my head?  Something about somebody leaving a cake out in the rain?
I don’t think that I can take it!!! 8-o

I used to see DAZ as a company with great promise.  A company that would shake off it’s mom & pop beginnings and evolve into a major player.  However, I’ve finally realized that I now believe that there will never be a proper document for any of DAZ’s products ever again.  Nor will their product suite apps all work together seamlessly, nor will Studio or even Carrara transition to a product reliable enough to be adopted by professional organizations with mucho $$$ depending on them.  I just don’t see it happening.

Studio and Carrara, and even the old man himself “Bryce” will remain cool toys for little boys (and girls).  So, if you can accept that then all is well.  When your expectations aren’t met, get happy by lowering your expectations.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…  But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 03 September 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1408
Joined  2010-03-25

A prodigy of “you may be a redneck if.”

If you paid full price for daz4 in the earlier adopters program and then it was given away a 2 months later and found that it was is not compatible with all the programs and models you have previously enjoyed and used, and then get blasted for your opinons on said program
Then you might feel like Daz3d.com has pooped on you.

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 03 September 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-12-14
Richard Haseltine - 03 September 2012 05:25 AM

Poser users have a legitimate complaint about lack of new products they can use, at least when it comes to clothing and to a lesser extent characters. There may be something coming that will go at least some way towards ameliorating that situation (though it should be noted that BFurner’s post used neither “soon” nor “game changing”).

Yes, I know that BFurner’s very carefully unspecified hint didn’t use those words; that is called “sarcasm”.  BFurner’s words were chosen for maximum deniability later. 

“We never promised XYZ” 

Notice how she made no effort to tamp down wild expectations - that was done by Poser users that have heard this song and dance before, nor did she go and edit her post.  That nonsense makes it clear to me and others that someone at DAZ is obviously getting concerned about the Poser community’s new spending habits at DAZ.

If BFurner doesn’t have the authority to speak for DAZ, then they don’t have any business stirring up the natives.  In most companies, crap like that is a fireable offense.

I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in the Poser community taking a “forgive and forget” approach to DAZ after everything that has happened here in the past year.  A lot of people got their feelings hurt, and since this is a hobby, that is going to factor in whether or not they visit here anymore.

Of course, when whatever this “something” comes out, the Poser folks that are still here are going to jump about and proclaim that DAZ caved in to the Poser community and they are going to take every chance to sing We are the champions by Queen.  Why?  Because a year ago, DAZ was adamant that Poser users should demand that SM integrate DS4 tech into Poser.  SM stated that DAZ would have to do the heavy lifting last August.  From their perspective, right or wrong, it will look like DAZ caved.  And DAZ isn’t going to change the optics on this.

Everyone at DAZ seems to have a child-like belief that DAZ has an infinite amount of customer goodwill and that we have no long term memory.  Whatever goodwill existed, has been steadily ground away over the last year and there isn’t a whole lot left.  DAZ has CONSTANTLY misread the Poser community over the past few years (Since the merger, from my perspective.).

Richard Haseltine - 03 September 2012 05:25 AM

On the other hand, there have been a number of gross exaggerations about the way DAZ 3D develops and supports its software in this thread - while it’s true DS4.0 went through a lot of updates, and that the recently released DS 4.5 SDK has not yet produced updates for a number of popular plugins, it is certainly not true to describe DS as in perpetual beta - DS3 used the same SDK, or at least was able to maintain backward compatibility, throughout its development (and it had a manual, too). It is important, if you want to criticise, to make sure that your criticism reflects reality.

Actually, Richard, it would be more accurate to describe DS4 as perpetual Alpha software.  Software goes into beta status when the feature set is frozen (and that includes documentation).  Since that still hasn’t happened, it is still unfinished software by definition by every other software company on the planet. 

Earlier in my life, I worked for a little computer hardware and software company, you may have heard of them.  Their name is IBM.

The “it’s still beta software” was the reason given by DAZ for why so many systems weren’t working working properly, like autofit, the shader system when it was released.  And that reason wasn’t given just upon release, we heard it throughout the development until the release of DS 4.5.  Sorry, Richard, but I was closely following DS4 development on the old forum to see if DS4 would be added to my workflow.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 03 September 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  307
Joined  2005-08-25
Velvet Goblin - 03 September 2012 04:16 AM

Get Genesis—and Genesis clothing—to work in Poser better than it does now, and the discount on Daz Originals and the monthly voucher will become useful again. Otherwise, it’s not a sound expenditure.

you are right about this.
daz would make more sells of stuff if it works in both programs.
but it’s up to SmithMicro to make Genesis features possible in poser…
Daz can’t change that! Only poser developers can do it.

about Renderosity…

i can give you 100’s of links of files where i just read this…

This product is created for *Poser Only* !
This product has been tested in poser 7, 8, PP2010 & PP2012
This product has not been tested in DAZ Studio
No Daz Studio materials were created for this product the material need surface room adjustments in DAZ Studio

Dazstudio 4 is Free, so it can’t be no excuse for the PA creators to test this and see the product works in both programs!

that ‘s not what i call support for both programs…
again if it’s poser everything ‘s fine, if it’s only daz everybody freaks out!

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(666 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  307
Joined  2005-08-25
ssgbryan - 03 September 2012 09:24 AM

it would be more accurate to describe DS4 as perpetual Alpha software.  Software goes into beta status when the feature set is frozen (and that includes documentation).  Since that still hasn’t happened, it is still unfinished software by definition by every other software company on the planet.

you are right about this,
DS4.5 is and feels only a prerpetual Alpha software with missing features, that ‘s one of the reasons i think daz made it free…
another one is marketing to spread the word Genesis and it’s content.
a mistake was, first ask $$$...  (developers cost $$$, we all know)
loyal daz customers lost money on the pro version. (there where refunds options, all fine about that!)

but, i still hope daz make this right and give all loyal pro daz users, that didn’t go for refunds with the 4 pro $$$ version a free or very cheap upgrade to the “real pro studio 5”.

studio 5 can’t excist without a well working IK/FK system, animationtools, dynamic hair & dynamic cloth creator (optitex, MD, or new dazcloth engine), gizmodo face generationtool, a fast render engine (octane, or else fast)

without above features missing it sounds there can be no studio 5!

Features that would bang some thunder and lightning by poser universe.

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(666 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2005-07-29
cimaira - 02 September 2012 11:28 PM
RKane_1 - 02 September 2012 10:55 PM

snipped

I’m sure that if they DID have Genesis waiting in the wings, they would be making sure the thing is tested to all Hell before aggravating there Poser user base again.

snipped

ROFLMBO… sorry, but this just struck me as hysterically funny!  Since when did DAZ test anything “all to hell” before releasing it? More likely they would rush it out to the store, so they could try and quiet the complaints. Oh, and so the customers who purchased it could beta test it all to hell.  lol, Sorry, still giggling. If your join date is correct, you’ve been here long enough to know better. But thanks for the giggle.

Only if they hadn’t learned. I’m hoping they did.

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2003-10-09
Coldrake - 03 September 2012 01:02 AM
Ivy - 02 September 2012 10:11 PM

I’m calling BullShit on this statement of easier to make content for daz4,..

I take that you make content for DAZ Studio and Poser? Because that’s the only way you would know.

I’ve made pretty exaggerated characters in both (even sold one as a PA here at DAZ).  If you know the techniques for the two products (PoserPro 2012 and DS4) it has been about the same.  DS4 as a few more tools built in, Poser has a range of tools as Pythons.  SR3 just added GoZ, and before that you needed some scripts from Colorcurvature.  DS4 probably has slightly better built-in mechanisms for packaging content without violating copyright (IMHO), but alternative tools exist in the Poser side that make it about the same.

In my own experience, DS4 is harder to overcome stumbling blocks (e.g. spots where the program doesn’t quite work as as expected) due to its spotty documentation.  I distinctly remember spending a couple of days puzzling out storing rig-changes with a morph, for example.  (There’s some recipies out there for it now, but not when I was building stuff for DS4.)

One thing that is easier in DS4: Switching UVs
One thing that is easier in PoserPro 2012: Rig development as each joint can start up as parametric and be weightmapped and tested individually—DS4 is an all-or-nothing when it comes weight mapping.

I also give some advantage to PoserPro 2012 when it comes to morph touch up (the morphing tool inside poser pro has been enhanced a bit in SR3.)  Touch up inside the program is helpful.

Like other posters here, I’ve somewhat moved into a wait-and-see mode with DAZ.  I find DS too buggy and undocumented for my needs.  I feel DAZ has “spun” me too long with vague statements and a poor track record of delivering. 

-K

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-12-14
fixme12 - 03 September 2012 09:42 AM

you are right about this.

about Renderosity…

i can give you 100’s of links of files where i just read this…

This product is created for *Poser Only* !
This product has been tested in poser 7, 8, PP2010 & PP2012
This product has not been tested in DAZ Studio
No Daz Studio materials were created for this product the material need surface room adjustments in DAZ Studio

Dazstudio 4 is Free, so it can’t be no excuse for the PA creators to test this and see the product works in both programs!

that ‘s not what i call support for both programs…
again if it’s poser everything ‘s fine, if it’s only daz everybody freaks out!

Fixme12, it isn’t SM’s responsibility to add DAZ’s tech to Poser - How does adding DAZ’s tech for genesis add to Poser’s bottom line?  They are competing against a free product.  Rewriting large sections of Poser’s code base to use the genesis tech isn’t going to sell a lot of additional copies of Poser - in addition to that, it would be SM’s responsibility to handle tech support for genesis tech - good for DAZ, because it wouldn’t be their problem anymore - but it would add to SM’s costs.

As far as vendors and their products for a vendor, time is money - spending hours and hours experimenting has to have a payoff in extra sales.  The same issue goes the other way - a number of DS4 vendors have dropped making clothing for Gen4 because they can make genesis clothing faster, and the time taken to make a Gen4 version of an outfit isn’t covered by additional sales.

For me, DS4 uses binary files for a lot of things - this means I can’t open them in a text editor and see how they are structured and how they work - I learned a lot about how Poser works by simply opening them in a text editor and reading them.  For me that was better time spent than trying to work my way through the Poser 5 technical manual.

DAZ materials aren’t being created because the materials system isn’t documented.  If I need to get spun up on Poser’s material room, I can pull up the Poser manual - can’t do that with DS4.  I have to waste hours experimenting.

If the manual is unclear, I can ask a Poser material guru like bagginsbill questions - who in the DS4 community’s shader guru?  So far, no one from the DS community has stepped up to the plate - as more people get familiar the product and the documentation is released, this will change, but the DS4 community isn’t that large or deep in knowledge - in comparison, bagginsbill has been working with shaders for years.  The Poser community has an extensive collection of Python scripting gurus that have extended Poser in ways that SM never thought about - Who knows the in’s and out’s of DS4’s scripting language?  Anyone? Anyone, Bueller? Bueller?.......

There have been some Poser vendors attempting to build DS materials for their products, but without documentation and people that truly understand how the material system works, support will be problematic.  Once the documentation if finished, I am sure that will change, but it is up to DAZ to get the documentation out there in a reasonable timeframe.

DS4 may be free, but the first version that wouldn’t crash within 30 seconds on my computer (a MacPro) was version 4.5 because of the OSX libraries that DAZ was using with the OSX version.  DS4 doesn’t run on a lot of computers - and a lot of hobbyists aren’t going to replace their computer to use a free program.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  547
Joined  0
LeatherGryphon - 03 September 2012 08:15 AM

Due to my new “lurking” state at DAZ, again I come late to the party. :-(

I dropped my PC membership quite a while ago.

I have a copy of Studio4 and a few of the basic Genesis characters and fewer Genesis clothes but my well intentioned experiments with it on a secondary computer (of sufficient power) were unimpressive so I’ve not adopted the Studio4/Genesis paradigm.  I still do all my real work with Studio3A, a few of the basic plug-ins and my vast library of people, places & things from “Millenium Man” days(i.e. Michael1) through Michael4.  For me there is absolutely no advantage to moving on to Studio4 & Genesis.

I can tell you one advantage from my experience over the last few days and show it with an image post. The male on the left? He is wearing clothing from 3 different generations of figures. How difficult was it? I double-clicked and in the drop down selected the figure it was originally designed for. (Except the trench coat which was natively for Genesis.) The girl on the right? Two different generations. Just as easy. Both of them are using Gen 4 skin textures as well.

Image Attachments
Hawk_and_Narcisca_go_to_rescue_Amelia.jpg
 Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Thread in Nuts And Bolts forum

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2005-07-29

Question to Poser users…

Would you guys be happy with, instead of Genesis, V5 and M5 being released as separate Poser products with now all of the content made for each available and SOME (certainly not all the Genesis morphs) available on them such as the evolution and most of the characters for the individual V5 & M5 figures available.

This would provide you with new Poser ready models and a slew of clothing, morphs and products, but maybe not so much heavy lifting for DAZ3D in the short term.

BTW, I hear you and readily acknowledge that DAZ’s lack of documentation has haunted them from the beginning. They NEED to put out an illustrated .PDF file for use with the product and available for Print-on-demand at places like Lulu.com and what not. Stop “getting something ready” and “get something ready”. They can always update there online documentation center and redo the manual with a more recent .pdf version later. Even if it isn’t perfect, they should put out some reasonably complete documentation. It’s not like they aren’t used to putting out things before it is completely ready. smile One of the biggest problems is they keep making “improvements” which require new documentation. Save the improvements for DAZ Studio 5; get to working on stability for 4.5; and get us a darn manual!

I think if DAZ did these two things (Something for the Poser users and a solid manual), that would make many in the DAZ community a lot happier, then they should spend time on ensuring more stability in the 4.5 platform, which is sorely needed.

I understand working a piece of software on a tight budget. Unless they suddenly had the financial backing of “IBM” as ssgbryan bragged about having worked for, then they are stuck with doing what they can for customers, but they are certainly confused on what they want to produce and what their customers want, which can be financially deadly. Or they are focusing on what is making them the most money in the short term and not on the long game which means supporting the products you make better.

They are losing customer base and I feel, while many are dazzled (sorry, no pun intended) by Genesis and rightly so, these other gaping disparities in between what Poser offers and DAZ Studio offers will become more and more apparent. As Poser users migrate away, then DAZ will be left trying to put together it’s shiny new toy that is unstable, doesn’t have documentation and a majority of their models won’t appeal to the Poser users who, while currently are the main staple of their business, might change unless they take this wake up call.

Vote with your dollars. Vote with your feet. Leave.

What DAZ users hate mostly is the interjection in threads regarding other your disgust and contempt taking the thread off-topic. It’s disrespectful to the person who started the thread or the artist who have spent time trying to perfect their wares and are now trying to demonstrate them.

This thread is perfect. It pretty plainly states what it is from the title (implied anyway) and is a great venting ground. Keep at it. Maybe they will take the hint and not go down in a ball of flames. I certainly hope not. I can see a lot of potential and I still have hope… but I certainly am not going to sugar-coat things for them.

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 03 September 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15702
Joined  2003-10-09
ssgbryan - 03 September 2012 10:57 AM

For me, DS4 uses binary files for a lot of things - this means I can’t open them in a text editor and see how they are structured and how they work - I learned a lot about how Poser works by simply opening them in a text editor and reading them.  For me that was better time spent than trying to work my way through the Poser 5 technical manual.

They are just compressed, like a pzz file for Poser. There’s a tool in DS to uncompress, but any zip utility will do the job - I use 7Zip.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 03 September 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1408
Joined  2010-03-25
RKane_1 - 03 September 2012 11:23 AM

Question to Poser users…

Would you guys be happy with, instead of Genesis, V5 and M5 being released as separate Poser products with now all of the content made for each available and SOME (certainly not all the Genesis morphs) available on them such as the evolution and most of the characters for the individual V5 & M5 figures available.

Great comment RK
I’m for using a gen5 product that works like a gen4 products in poser. & older versions of daz.. No hoops, No tools, No extra’s , I always said that.

One of my biggest love of daz was to animate using it.. I can’t do that anymore with daz4, its just to much darn work. some people also can’t understand that and you get criticized for it.
I relies this is not the first time users of daz & poser have gone through program changes here. But it is the first time Daz made it so it was not compatible with poser. Even older daz products have errors using in Genesis. whether or not they want to admit to it,.I go by what i experience when using a program not what people tell me.

I agree with you on documentation is a biggest issue.  The documentation or lack of anyways.  When daz4 was first introduced i was one of the stupid ones that paid for the program and not a word was mentioned that it was not going to be compatible with poser, or be given away free 2 months later. if it had been said i would have not bought daz4.  I’ll have to check my purchase records to see how much i had paid it was early adopters so i think i got 50% off.. But I was lead to believe that it was better than daz3a, which I have always enjoyed and daz3 worked fairly well a long side poser. this change has made me feel suckered plain and simple.

Most of those who criticize us poser users, when we complain about daz & not using gen5 products in poser are the same people who don’t buy for poser. I’m not a model builder or vender . But I am one that support them by buying their products and I spend a lot.
Also i do know how the models are made & work and I know rigging etc..

As a poser user, and user of Daz3a my opinion should be just as valuable as any other Daz user not blasted for criticizing daz4 flaws. I have started using the ignore button on those who are the biggest critics of poser users. to help keep my emotions in check.
so anyone that don’t like my opinions i suggest you put me on ignore as well.
Because opinions are like noses everyone has one.

BTW I spend my money at sites i can get products that will work in both daz3 & poser program. i have more bang for the buck and less effort in getting the bang.

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 03 September 2012 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2760
Joined  2007-12-25
fixme12 - 03 September 2012 09:42 AM

Maybe not. If the new API capabilities were enough to let Paolo develop Reality for Poser, they may also be enough that someone could develop a plugin for Poser that would support the missing features needed for Genesis. I don’t know that this is the case, but it would make sense to me as a compromise between Smith Micro and DAZ3D—SM saying “We’re not going to write code to support your new product, but we’ll make it possible for you to write the code, if you’re willing to invest in it.”

That’s what I hope is happening.

As for documentation… I can’t argue that DAZ has seriously underfunded this effort. But it’s worth looking here, if you’re interested in the shader system:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/shader_mixer/start

Granted a lot of the articles still say “Draft” on them, which is pretty annoying considering that I handed the first versions in a year ago, but it’s something.

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

5 of 7