Digital Art Zone

29 of 45
“I’ve become addicted to TV” September Freebie Challenge
Posted: 24 September 2012 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 421 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2003-10-09

Most of the things one finds in the Poser section show up on other freebie sites as well. I dont know that this is as dire as one might initially think.

And when the traffic suddenly drops, I would bet that SCG re-thinks that decision.

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 422 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  627
Joined  2007-12-04

True, but the main ‘other’ site that I see a lot of the ShareCG freebies on is Rendo, and I personally prefer not to get my stuff from there - not because of the content, but a personality conflict with the staff whilst putting up a freebie.  I know of a few others who’ve had issues with Rendo as well.  There are also the smaller sites, like Chohole’s, MCD and PhilC’s which also have freebies on them.  It is terribly convenient to have them all in one place though, isn’t it?

Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 423 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5715
Joined  2005-04-16
Sean Martin - 24 September 2012 10:52 PM

Most of the things one finds in the Poser section show up on other freebie sites as well. I dont know that this is as dire as one might initially think.

And when the traffic suddenly drops, I would bet that SCG re-thinks that decision.

I wouldn’t say most.  And some of the ones that do are of lesser quality I think.  Just my opinion.  Some of the ones that are also on Renderosity are actually linked to ShareCG.  Some freebie makers dropped out of Renderosity when they ruled that freebies listed must be there.  They seem to have rescinded that rule (I think I’ve seen some that linked to ShareCG), but I think some didn’t return afterwards.

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 25 September 2012 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 424 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17

What that letter didn’t really make clear was whether ShareCG would become a wholly subscription or a subscription option to lose the ads and maybe gain some benefits like multiple downloads; larger file downloads/uploads etc.

I do agree that about 1/2 the freebies used in the challenges are hosted on ShareCG & it would have a serious impact if the subscription model was adopted.

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 25 September 2012 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 425 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2797
Joined  2010-11-30

(puts I.T. hat on) Nowadays, storage is cheap (unless you go with FiberChannel instead of SATA, but the download speeds they have don’t indicate this is the case). Bandwidth is expensive. They might want the traffic to drop…

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

Posted: 25 September 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 426 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
BWSman - 25 September 2012 06:33 AM

What that letter didn’t really make clear was whether ShareCG would become a wholly subscription or a subscription option to lose the ads and maybe gain some benefits like multiple downloads; larger file downloads/uploads etc.

Well, if they do go with a “subscription required” model, I’ll have quite a bit of deleting to do on all my freebies lists…

Signature 

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Posted: 25 September 2012 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 427 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16108
Joined  2003-10-09

I think that if they do go on a subscription basis we can count down the time that ShareCG is still alive in months at the most.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 25 September 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 428 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30

Well, PoserWorld seems to do well enough as a pay site… but, from what I’ve seen of their downloads, they have stricter quality control than ShareCG does.

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 429 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1862
Joined  2006-02-17
robkelk - 25 September 2012 07:09 AM

(puts I.T. hat on) Nowadays, storage is cheap (unless you go with FiberChannel instead of SATA, but the download speeds they have don’t indicate this is the case). Bandwidth is expensive. They might want the traffic to drop…

Keep in mind that it’s not the equipment or services costs that get you.  It’s the personnel.  Salaries + Benefits + Employment Taxes = $$$

I would also suspect that they have a rather hefty legal tab due to “DMCA Challenges” and such.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 25 September 2012 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 430 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16108
Joined  2003-10-09
robkelk - 25 September 2012 07:47 AM

Well, PoserWorld seems to do well enough as a pay site… but, from what I’ve seen of their downloads, they have stricter quality control than ShareCG does.

Yes, sure, although they are struggling. However it is not the same sort of site as ShareCG.  Poserworld it is mostly their own content, and only members freebies offered in the forum areas.  ShareCG was set up an maintained as a File sharing site, with all the content being submitted by members and the intellectual property off the members who submit the files.

As soon as they start charging membership, however little it is and expect people to 1) pay to upload the files they want to give away as freebies and 2) pay to download freebies           then I am afraid that they will close down sooner rather than later.

DO you remember the discussion there was when they decided to stop offering those who uploaded files a small payment, the number of people who said they would no longer offer freebies if they didn’t get anything back.  How much worse will it be if they now have to pay to give their stuff away.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 25 September 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 431 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  588
Joined  2006-08-11

Hello guys.. came to see the updated renders, and send out the gift, and now I am.. really hmm.. shocked..

I mean shareCG became the go to place for freebies, for the freebie makers, nice system of distribution,. Now I understand that everything costs, and nowdays it is getting more expensive every day… I am having the feeling that pretty soon making freebies will be simply not affordable for people… It is pretty sad ...

Posted: 25 September 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 432 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6286
Joined  2003-10-09

From the CEO’s letter:
“David Heller is CEO and President of IBSystems, Inc. and founded the company in 1994.”
And:
“ShareCG was conceived in 2007 at my son Jacob’s insistence. Jake’s now a lawyer, but even then his debate skills and logical thinking convinced us that there was a need to develop an open sharing site to bring together worldwide artists and animators of all levels of expertise.  Our goal was to provide a friendly and graphical platform that would be easy to use and perfect for presenting art, animation, 3D models and for delivering tutorials and other educational materials to help the site’s users display their creative achievements and become more proficient in their craft.”
And:
“Now, after five years of experiencing the banner ad model we have yet to generate the revenue needed to pay for this site.  In fact, ShareCG has been running in the red and only kept alive and supported by re-directing funds from our other properties.  But, just chugging along without being able to provide timely new innovations to our audience is not a solution for either us or for you.

We are considering changing the ShareCG business model from banner ads to a subscription model.  I am proposing that members subscribe at just $9.99 a year for a banner free ShareCG that will have the resources to add services that will make the site a better place to visit and that will bring the community closer together.”

What does seem clear to me from the CEO’s letter is that SCG will go into the Black or it will evaporate. Read it carefully…he is running a Company called IBSystems, Inc., not a Charity.
The bottom line is, no profit, no SCG, If people stop going there, the site will just die faster.
I hate to see freebies disappear, but I won’t be paying to stay there, either.
I worked for a company for 32 years before retirement and read a lot of letters from our CEOs. When they get far enough in the planning stage to announce publicly, “We are considering changing…” , in all likelihood, the decision to change has already been made.

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 ft/sec, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.’” - Dave Barry

Posted: 25 September 2012 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 433 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6286
Joined  2003-10-09

And yes, Krissy, I agree that it is pretty sad. It will feel a little like losing an old friend.

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 ft/sec, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.’” - Dave Barry

Posted: 25 September 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 434 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14442
Joined  2003-10-09
Kendall Sears - 25 September 2012 07:52 AM

I would also suspect that they have a rather hefty legal tab due to “DMCA Challenges” and such.

Kendall

As far as I am aware complying with the DMCA is cheap for the hosting company - they get a notice, they take the product down and pass the notice on to the uploader. If the uploader sends a counter notice they reactivate the file and send the counter notice to the complainant. It should be a no-lawyers-involved process.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 25 September 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 435 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  588
Joined  2006-08-11
tjohn - 25 September 2012 12:32 PM

And yes, Krissy, I agree that it is pretty sad. It will feel a little like losing an old friend.

Exactly.. No matter if freebie maker makes freebies just for fun, or is an aspire vendor polishing their skills and looking for feedback 9.99 can be a lot to some people. there is a lot of work put into the modeling, uvmapping and texturing. noone wants to yet pay to share their work . most of the sites that allow sharing for free offer not inough space for hosting a file, or you have to go trought the whole ordeal ro upload or download it.

29 of 45