Digital Art Zone

5 of 8
What exactly is this new worldbase item?  I don’t see any information about it in the forums
Posted: 08 September 2012 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2003-10-09
Jaderail - 08 September 2012 08:05 PM

I just tested this many ways. I get it with Uber Evo and for me it is only in the XtrRings that I get it.

Hi Jaderail.
So do you get it with the Standard Daz Lights at all?...or only the Uber?
I have a feeling its to do with trans fall off and something in certain Daz Lights.

Posted: 08 September 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-03-29

Poser on Mac
I got those lines in my quick first render because I was using the Poser default lights (anxious to see the render time)—-when I used lights that Magix supplied with this fine environment—-just like magix—-no lines at all…

I ‘ve had this problem in poser happen with all sorts of mesh objects-figures, clothing, props,—-most of the time it was due to lighting (usually AO set in the textures) and particular render settings…

There is nothing wrong with the mesh or textures, we’ll just have to learn what works…
If one wants to use other lighting (although WorldBase-XT and it’s add ons include great lights by Magix and an incredibly large selection of lights)  I’d check to see if some textures have AO and adjust any lights that might also have AO settings accordingly…

Used Magix WorldBase-XT “1Def-3” light set.
I upped the intensity individually on some of the lights and messed with the shadow settings a bit (just to personal taste) for a brighter scene—-For the sky texture, I also took the ambient color all the way to pure white (in the advanced setting in poser material room)...

I have magix’s previous environment sets also and this is an impressive upgrade to products that were great.

Very highly recommended!!!!

Posted: 08 September 2012 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

For me, it’s just Uber Enviro lights. I have two set’s that use it and the Uber dafault that comes with 3 and 4.5. I get the same effect for all of those lights. My DS3 and DS4.5 do the same so I’ll say this…
Render (0) Standard DS lighting.
Render (1) DS3 and DS4.5 Standard Uber Enviro light with Park.
Render (2) Lantios Lights 2 all lights.
Render (3) Cloud Nine for Daz all lights.
As you can see, all Uber cause it to some extent. I do notice difference’s but I have not checked the settings in the Different sets as yet.

Image Attachments
Uber-0.pngUber-1.pngUber-2.pngUber-3.png
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 08 September 2012 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2007-03-10

Here you go. It’s called “Waiting for Halloween”. I used the new Core Lights by Lantios which rendered pretty rapidly.

Image Attachments
Waiting_For_Halloween.jpg

Posted: 09 September 2012 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  729
Joined  2010-03-13

I think those lines happen as UberEnvironment treats some of the vertice connections as ‘corners’ and due to that like within a room corner ambient occlusion kicks in on some ring/dome like surfaces, so showing some vertice grid lines.

What I can see so far as for solutions:
1) Lowering the shading rate of UE, though I still see lines at e.g. 0.1 shading rate, but less prominent. Downside is certainly that it is not a 100% solution it seems and rendering takes ages with a shading rate that low.
2) Subdividing some meshes as this smoothes the “corners” - I applied sub-d to Hills, Rings, and Skies
3) Using a surface shader to disable occlusion on all background surfaces - I am using pwSurface2 or UberSurface2 for that, but the standard UberSurface coming with DAZ Studio should work as well (if I recall correctly it allows to disable occlusion).

Additionally, occasionally I am seeing faint, dark spots above some trees (!WorldBs-XT-1Def.daz scene taking the default “MAIN CAMERA” view with the default light set embedded in the DAZ file). I am not sure how these dots may disappear, as the default lights in that DAZ scene don’t use ambient occlusion, so e.g. applying a special surface shader won’t do. I think I may have a go and dabble with the trans maps there, but I am not sure yet what to look for. Edit: Note that the dark spots don’t appear on all scenes, so it may be specific to a certain subset of trees.

Posted: 09 September 2012 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3460
Joined  2009-08-05

I thought Daz tested these things before product release. Surely they would anticipate that users would use other light sets? Did they not test this out themselves? A customer should not have to experience this. If there was any conflics with other light sets, then on the product page the customers should have been made aware of this and given a solution.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 09 September 2012 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  940
Joined  2004-05-14
Magix 101 - 08 September 2012 07:34 PM

Hi..
Oh Yeah I do see it now, I was looking on the ground, but it is near the sky on the left.
Hmm Poser does not do this, so I am wondering what has changed in DS, its almost as if the transparency
does not hide the mesh.
Anyway it definitely looks like a mesh grid, probably the mist rings or external outer hills,
I did not enable displacement in this kit, but its vaguely possible that there could be some in DS…maybe.
Magix-101

Thanks, for looking into that problem. I would really appreciate to find a way of using this set with the UberEnvironment.

Posted: 09 September 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Just a farther heads up for DS users. I checked all the DS sets and none of them use Displacement in the default load settings.

With farther testing setting the Occlision Color for the UE light to WHITE clears the images up. But that pretty much makes AO, the reason to use UE, useless.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 09 September 2012 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-09-24

I’m having the same struggles with UberEnvironment that others mention here.

I’m also seeing the dots that Renpatsu mentioned. It looks like setting the opacity of TreeCluster1 makes them go away. I’m attaching images of !WorldBs-XT-1Def with and without TreeCluster1.

Image Attachments
worldbase_dots.pngworldbase_dots2.png
 Signature 

Rune: A Tale of Wizards and Kings, a Graphic Novel. Free PDF.

Posted: 09 September 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-04-29
Magix 101 - 08 September 2012 09:16 PM
Jaderail - 08 September 2012 08:05 PM

I just tested this many ways. I get it with Uber Evo and for me it is only in the XtrRings that I get it.

Hi Jaderail.
So do you get it with the Standard Daz Lights at all?...or only the Uber?
I have a feeling its to do with trans fall off and something in certain Daz Lights.

I am not Jaderail but… I have gotten it under the default lights that come with the Worldbase… those look to be the standard Daz lights but only when I turned them (mostly just the main light) up to get a good simulation of daylight. Then for me increasing shadow softness to as little as 1% got rid of the lines for me. I have only tested this on the Snowlands thus far though.

Charles

Posted: 09 September 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-03-29
Zev0 - 09 September 2012 05:44 AM

I thought Daz tested these things before product release. Surely they would anticipate that users would use other light sets? Did they not test this out themselves? A customer should not have to experience this. If there was any conflics with other light sets, then on the product page the customers should have been made aware of this and given a solution.

There are only “potential problems” with some other “light sets”, which can include your own custom light configurations, and that will usually be with the AO setting on one of the lights, this can happen to any product, it’s usually an AO setting in the textures, in Poser that can be compounded by render settings also——One would have to test for every imaginable light and rendering situation…

Regardless of comparatively easy UI, DazStudio and Poser are complex applications making mind-bogling calculations—- and there’s a lot to learn about working with them, maybe someday the Daz and Poser community will have a wonderfully organized wiki where we can more easily access solutions.

But for now, Absolutely All products offered by anyone for Poser and Daz would be easier to use if the “read me” included more information for the users, especially about lighting and render settings across the board.  However, it’s understandable that any content creator is focused on being creative and the demands of craftsmanship, knowledge and experimentation with the complexities of making products and can’t guess at what all users know or don’t know about using the applications.

Posted: 09 September 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  787
Joined  2005-09-19

I don’t think you’ve thought through the scale of what you are suggesting. There are 248 light sets in the DAZ store (not counting non-light sets that happen to include lights), assume you test one lighting set-up from each and it takes 5 minutes to do a render with each (and that’s optimistic), that means that just testing this set for interaction with lights would take 5*248/60=nearly 21 hours, or three man-days. And that’s light sets alone, less than complete for those, and only those brokered at DAZ.

The rapidly escalating number of interactions mean it’s not really practical for any of the vendors or artists to do anything like complete testing, so, just as in the rest of the testing industry, they’ll scope things to the essentials - in this case does it load, does it render, are any options broken? Anything else is pushing the set beyond basics and not something I would expect them to test.

Posted: 09 September 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  940
Joined  2004-05-14

I really like this set and plan to use it a lot in Daz Studio.
When I have disabled WorldBase-XtrRings in the scene WorldBase-XT +1-Green+Mist1
the grid patterns on the sky near horizon are gone.
Now it is only remains to find out what is causing such grid lines in WorldBase-XtrRings,
when Uber Environment is used in the scene
By the way, I have used one of the included cameres: 12mm-UltraWide
Click the image to see it enlarged.

Image Attachments
GreenMist1sc05pic01.jpg

Posted: 09 September 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05
DWG - 09 September 2012 10:36 AM

I don’t think you’ve thought through the scale of what you are suggesting. There are 248 light sets in the DAZ store (not counting non-light sets that happen to include lights), assume you test one lighting set-up from each and it takes 5 minutes to do a render with each (and that’s optimistic), that means that just testing this set for interaction with lights would take 5*248/60=nearly 21 hours, or three man-days. And that’s light sets alone, less than complete for those, and only those brokered at DAZ.

The rapidly escalating number of interactions mean it’s not really practical for any of the vendors or artists to do anything like complete testing, so, just as in the rest of the testing industry, they’ll scope things to the essentials - in this case does it load, does it render, are any options broken? Anything else is pushing the set beyond basics and not something I would expect them to test.

Agreed, but most users are getting this just by using uberenvironment. I agree that not all light sets can be tested, specially custom made ones, but that one is pretty standard and commenly used.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 09 September 2012 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

Just asked my buddy to do some testing and the problem lies with Worldbase-xtrRings. Go to the surface tab for the Worldbase-extrRings. In there are two material groups. Select Horizon-out-in and set the opacity strength to around 50%. That eliminates the grid lines when using uberenvironment. By turning it off you are loosing that nice effect.

Image Attachments
test.jpg
 Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

5 of 8