Digital Art Zone

4 of 8
What exactly is this new worldbase item?  I don’t see any information about it in the forums
Posted: 08 September 2012 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2003-10-09
Kerya - 08 September 2012 01:11 AM

A new fantasy city? Like Andoria???? Niiiiice!

Don’t mention Dreamlight as a good vendor of lights. He has shown up in another thread and basically told people that he will probably not update LDP2 for DS4.5. He didn’t update it for DS4. He has more interesting things to do now.
(Yes, I am angry about that.)

Yep a new city…its become so complex that I have almost given up on it several times over the last year or two LOL!!
There is one piece of it shown in the pics for Desertlands, the Sky Mansion, there are several more pieces like that.
Hopefully it will be finished this year…hopefully.

So Dreamlight has gone…hmm…so many merchants are now no longer around.
Selling is a kind of touch and go thing, you can lose out bigtime..or do quite well, depends on the
product.
Anyway I always thought Dreamlight would have done well, but I guess the grass is greener elsewhere for him.
I have seen so many go since the very early days of Renderosity, but there are always newer ones to replace them.
Bummer for those that bought the Dreamlight packs tho.

Posted: 08 September 2012 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2009-06-11

Magix, How about a nice Mid-Ocean set for this? With a huge water plane in place of the ground, and no land in sight. Maybe some morph-able waves for the water, so we could stir up some nice stormy seas? I’ve been wanting to do some sci-fi navel battles in Daz, but have yet to find a satisfactory “ocean” set big enough for my purpose. Such an add-on would be the clincher for me to buy this. smile

Posted: 08 September 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Joined  2003-10-09
Art_Junkie - 08 September 2012 04:11 AM

Magix, How about a nice Mid-Ocean set for this? With a huge water plane in place of the ground, and no land in sight. Maybe some morph-able waves for the water, so we could stir up some nice stormy seas? I’ve been wanting to do some sci-fi navel battles in Daz, but have yet to find a satisfactory “ocean” set big enough for my purpose. Such an add-on would be the clincher for me to buy this. smile

I may well have a look at that, I am building some trees and hi quality palms, a new dwelling and that huge cuty.
But when I have done those I amy well look at doing an ocean type setting, it will be a challenge…to hget it looking good.
But yeah its a good idea.
Cheers

Posted: 08 September 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2004-05-14

Below is a render of the scene +1-Green+Mist1. I have added to the scene UberEnvironment and one distant light
with the settings as on the picture below. I still got these grid lines on the background, most visible close to the horizon.
Anybody knows what else, besides Shadow Softness reduced to 1% one can use to avoid such grid lines?
Click the image to see it enlarged.

Image Attachments
GreenMist1sc02pic01.jpgGreenMist1sc02pic01DistantLight.jpg

Posted: 08 September 2012 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2003-10-09
Artini - 08 September 2012 11:28 AM

Below is a render of the scene +1-Green+Mist1. I have added to the scene UberEnvironment and one distant light
with the settings as on the picture below. I still got these grid lines on the background, most visible close to the horizon.
Anybody knows what else, besides Shadow Softness reduced to 1% one can use to avoid such grid lines?

Hi Artini
I had difficulty seeing those to be honest (even enlarged).
Any way a few things to mention, first off thats an extremely wide angle Camera you are using, looks like about 8mm, unless its an effect you want I would wind it back to about 18mm or so…I generally use about 20 to 25mm for wide angles (remember the film standard for lens is 35mm…and thats wider than human vision).
If you are talking about the slightly white area near the horizon…that is the mist ...what you are seeing is the soft fractal pattern in the mist.
You can change that, by selecting the mist and there is a softer pattern, or if it is really bothering you… you could create a perfectly smooth one in photoshop or something and load that in, that would be very easy to do.
I tried a perfectly smooth one when I was building and I thought it looked too perfect, but you may like that…so that is another idea.
Also the extreme wide angle lens will not help,
So try those ideas and let me know.
Cheers

Posted: 08 September 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2231
Joined  2005-09-05

Just reading through this thread I noticed the problems people were having with lines…by any chance does this product use displacement?

Someone mentioned IIRC that subdividing helped, if so then playing with the shader rate in the render settings may help fix the problem.

I know that when I was playing in Shadermixer with fur that this happened with some items. It was due to displacement and it was fixed by either subdividing the mesh or playing with the shader rate.

I hope this is of use.

Pen

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 08 September 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2011-03-18

Hi Pendraia, and Magix 101 glad to see you here as well! 

I think I was the first to mention this problem, and can easily see the grid marks in Artini’s enlarged picture with the dinosaurs, especially on the left side close to the ground - may be caused by the fog layer, but I’ve seen it occur in the sky as well.  In the pictures I’ve had it show up in, I’ve just used the default or main camera, so no fancy mm settings on it - I think it may have to do with the lighting and adding uberenvironment/uberlighting.

I too would like to know how to fix this, it doesn’t always seem to occur, but this is such a promising and fantastic product, it just really fits a need for having a background - it would be great to know what is causing that so it can be taken care of when it does occur.

Pendraia, you mention subdividing the mesh - do you mean the fog layer in the world builder? Or playing with the shader rate - raising it? Lowering it? I have no experience with the shader mixer.  Sorry to be so dense, it’s just a great product, and I’d (and probably others would too) like to be able to use different lighting options with it - even different skies ( like other sky domes, or backgrounds).  Thanks for any help anyone can offer!  -Cathy

Posted: 08 September 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Cathy_Mod - 08 September 2012 06:20 PM

Pendraia, you mention subdividing the mesh - do you mean the fog layer in the world builder? Or playing with the shader rate - raising it? Lowering it? I have no experience with the shader mixer.  Sorry to be so dense, it’s just a great product, and I’d (and probably others would too) like to be able to use different lighting options with it - even different skies ( like other sky domes, or backgrounds).  Thanks for any help anyone can offer!  -Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear…I posted before my first cup of coffee.

Is there displacement on this product? If so my solution may work…

Whatever the item that you’re getting grid lines on use subd…but try the shader rate first.

With the shader rate try 0.10 and see if it helps…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 08 September 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-04-29
Magix 101 - 08 September 2012 02:05 AM

Oh yeah, I have no complaints, in fact the more I play around with it the better I am getting things to look (hehe who’da thunkit???). Here is a pic of some gargoyle hounds I just kinda tossed together with minimal tweaking to the lights in the Snowlands. I think daylight is coming together pretty well here.

Very nice, that looks great actually, is that in DS?
It looks real good, nice and realistic, I would not like to run into those guys anytime tho LOL!!

Oh yeah, everything done in Studio 4.5 with no post work whatsoever, I just cranked up the intensity of the main light until I got something that looked like the daylight effect that I wanted, set the shadows to raytraced and set a shadow softness of like 1% to avoid those background lines that some have been getting. I also made sure that shadows were only turned on on the lights that made sense for them to be casting shadows, only the main light in this render I think, oh and of course applied some Gargoyle Hound mats to the hounds.

Charles

Posted: 08 September 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-29

Of course you could try shadow softness at higher than 1% to see what effect that you get from that, when I tried it initially I tried 5% and seeing that that worked I tried reducing it as far as I could to get the least amount of effect on shadows that I didn’t want softened too much but get rid of the lines too. 1% still seemed to work for me but I only tried it on one of the Snowlands scenes it is possible that varying it more may give better or even possibly no effect on some combinations. Having said that though, I was only using the Snowlands default lights. UberEnvironment appears to be a different sort of pickle alltogether. I attempted to mess a little with UberEnvironment lights in the Snowlands but I wasn’t certain which of the settings would be closest to adjusting shadow softness under UberEnvironment or whether it would have the same effect, we are all working on experimentation and educated guesses at this point. Best thing to do I suppose is keep tinkering and report what works. smile

Charles

Posted: 08 September 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-29

Hehe another reply, actually I had to search before I found the grid lines you are talking about, so you just about have them defeated. In a real render I mean as opposed to these sample renders that we are doing right now there would be several things that we could do to conceal a little gridlining if it came through like placing buildings and larger trees and bushes strategically. I do that kind of thing all of the time when I use a cyclorama to hide the seam between the ground plane and the background that always seems way to obvious to my eyes. 

I swear every time I see them though I think they look like shadows, and having messed with hexagon and touched Z-Brush a time or two they look just like I would imagine the shadows of the mesh lines of say a sky dome to look. It makes me wonder if it is not caused by the light shining through the sky dome and picking out the mesh lines as something to cast shadows of. Of course I don’t know how everything is positioned by default as far as the dome and the lights go. Hmmm just food for thought.

Charles

Posted: 08 September 2012 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-29
Pendraia - 08 September 2012 04:11 PM

Just reading through this thread I noticed the problems people were having with lines…by any chance does this product use displacement?

Someone mentioned IIRC that subdividing helped, if so then playing with the shader rate in the render settings may help fix the problem.

I know that when I was playing in Shadermixer with fur that this happened with some items. It was due to displacement and it was fixed by either subdividing the mesh or playing with the shader rate.

I hope this is of use.

Pen

It would make sense, since the prople seeming to have the most problem with the lines are folks using UberEnvironment and UberEnvironment uses shaders to give the illusion of lights if I am understanding UberEnvironment correctly.

Charles

Posted: 08 September 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Hi..
Oh Yeah I do see it now, I was looking on the ground, but it is near the sky on the left.
Hmm Poser does not do this, so I am wondering what has changed in DS, its almost as if the transparency
does not hide the mesh.
Anyway it definitely looks like a mesh grid, probably the mist rings or external outer hills,
I did not enable displacement in this kit, but its vaguely possible that there could be some in DS…maybe.

But the first thing I would do is put DS into mesh view and check what grids match where it is in the actual render
(from the same camera angle)
Then select with the surface tool to pinpoint exactly what texture that is.
Try making it totally non transparent and see if they disappear, if they do then it something to do with the transparency.
I could have trouble trying to recreate this, cause when I was testing it I never saw that in DS, but I will have a play with
it tonite and see if I can get it.
Meantime if anyone is doing renders maybe they could try what I suggested and see if we can pinpoint exactly what it is.
Another thing is you can hide all the mist rings, the ground fog and then do a render to see if its still there.
Speak soon
Cheers
Magix-101

Posted: 08 September 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Magix 101 - 08 September 2012 07:34 PM

Hi..
Oh Yeah I do see it now, I was looking on the ground, but it is near the sky on the left.
Hmm Poser does not do this, so I am wondering what has changed in DS, its almost as if the transparency
does not hide the mesh.
Anyway it definitely looks like a mesh grid, probably the mist rings or external outer hills,
I did not enable displacement in this kit, but its vaguely possible that there could be some in DS…maybe.

Hi Magix, I don’t have the set but I have had someone who has been checking tell me he couldn’t see displacement on the surface tab. Lowering the shader rate did seem to help though.

Pen

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 08 September 2012 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

I just tested this many ways. I get it with Uber Evo and for me it is only in the XtrRings that I get it.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

4 of 8