- - Spyro’s Render Thread and Projects - -
Posted: 04 December 2012 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 346 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4847
Joined  2004-07-01
Spyro - 04 December 2012 01:52 AM

Hi Lei!

All my renders are done (With exception of the laser hall scene) in Daz. It’s probebly the combination of lighting and shaders that keeps the renders fresh. I use 3ds Max to build content such as props and clothing smile I use Human Surface Shader (HSS) with some “Velvet” set on the skin… Sometimes I add some velvet to certain fabrics to enhance the render as well smile

———————————————————————
WIP Trousers

Wondering about peoples thoughts on my current progress. It’s been a little tricky to add the detail above the knees… It’s SubD so I’m only working with the cage so to speak, I cant add any more edges (Except for when I do seams) as it is using two iterations of sub divisions. (That means for every polygon on the cage that I work with, there is 8 polys inside it)

What are your thoughts on the detail in the pants?

do they come in blue wink
look good

Posted: 04 December 2012 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 347 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4939
Joined  2009-02-26

LMAO! Don t you like the baby pink? LOL tongue laugh

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 04 December 2012 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 348 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2012-01-22
Spyro - 04 December 2012 01:52 AM

Hi Lei!

All my renders are done (With exception of the laser hall scene) in Daz. It’s probebly the combination of lighting and shaders that keeps the renders fresh. I use 3ds Max to build content such as props and clothing smile I use Human Surface Shader (HSS) with some “Velvet” set on the skin… Sometimes I add some velvet to certain fabrics to enhance the render as well smile

———————————————————————
WIP Trousers

Wondering about peoples thoughts on my current progress. It’s been a little tricky to add the detail above the knees… It’s SubD so I’m only working with the cage so to speak, I cant add any more edges (Except for when I do seams) as it is using two iterations of sub divisions. (That means for every polygon on the cage that I work with, there is 8 polys inside it)

What are your thoughts on the detail in the pants?

*taking notes*

Lol, well I was already impressed but now I’m REALLY impressed to hear they all came out of DS! I’ve been trying to find a good soft lighting setup for DS4P but most renders end up way too dark. You seem to have mastered nice subtle lighting without losing detail which is something I’d love to achieve. I did just pick up omnifreaker’s Ubersoft kit ... so hopefully I’ll make some lighting headway with that. Oh and when you say ‘velvet’ for the skin is that a specific shader or an actual field/value that you can adjust in the HSS?

Posted: 04 December 2012 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 349 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Its a property which becomes available when HSS is applied in the surfaces tab. Basically it simulates light passing through the fine ‘vellus’ hair we all have on our skin, It covers almost all areas of our body. I use a pale blue colour for the velvet colour, some people prefer a soft pink, But in my experience, a pale blue works better and looks more realistic. The strength is typically set to around 20-25%, the velvet fall off remains default at 20.00… of course this depends on what skin texture your using and values can vary a little depending on the skin tone.

I also add Sub surface and Translucency, but that can be tricky to get right and the values are specific to the individuals skin tone more so than the values of Velvet. For SS and Translucency I use the textures from Interjection. (They are the best Generic SSS Textures I have ever used) I use them on every character now.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/interjection-surface-injections-for-daz-studio

With lighting, I studied ‘Lantio’s lights’ I then made my own light sets using what I had leaned. I also have a background in 3ds max, so daz lighting was rather similar to max. But patients, practice and refinement go a long way. smile

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2012 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 350 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

WIP Trousers Update

Here is a front and back view of the pants so far. For functionality, I’ll detail the “inner Boots” area of the pants so that it can be used without the boots to create a different look.

I’m not yet happy with the side view, it still needs work I think.

Please let me know what you guys think, as I need to wrap this up soon and start adding pockets and seams. smile

Image Attachments
SD_Pants_3-2_mix.png
 Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2012 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 351 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4785
Joined  2011-10-04

Looks good! What kind of textures you’re planning to do for it?

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 04 December 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 352 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Damn that was quick LOL

I’m thinking heavy fabric, something like military BDU fabric.  Should it go commercial, I’ll make lots of different colours. But the main texture will follow the concept art and will be all black. Might make some camo versions for the product depends what the rest of the costume turns out like smile

Might make a white one as well for rider use smile

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 353 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2012-01-22
Spyro - 04 December 2012 03:33 AM

Its a property which becomes available when HSS is applied in the surfaces tab. Basically it simulates light passing through the fine ‘vellus’ hair we all have on our skin, It covers almost all areas of our body. I use a pale blue colour for the velvet colour, some people prefer a soft pink, But in my experience, a pale blue works better and looks more realistic. The strength is typically set to around 20-25%, the velvet fall off remains default at 20.00… of course this depends on what skin texture your using and values can vary a little depending on the skin tone.

I also add Sub surface and Translucency, but that can be tricky to get right and the values are specific to the individuals skin tone more so than the values of Velvet. For SS and Translucency I use the textures from Interjection. (They are the best Generic SSS Textures I have ever used) I use them on every character now.

With lighting, I studied ‘Lantio’s lights’ I then made my own light sets using what I had leaned. I also have a background in 3ds max, so daz lighting was rather similar to max. But patients, practice and refinement go a long way. smile

Oh really? I actually have Interjection so I’ll try to put it into use much more now smile  I’m looking forward to seeing you finish this project you’re working on, thanks so much for all the tips Spyro!

Lei

Posted: 04 December 2012 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 354 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

No worries man, Always glad to help smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 355 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3665
Joined  2012-02-06
Spyro - 04 December 2012 03:33 AM

I used to have Interjection on my wishlist but at some point in the past I removed it. On your recommendation I’ve added it back in!

Still not sure where to rank it, though, on a list of “ways to improve skin realism beyond HSS/Ubersurface.” The other contenders being Ubersurface2 or PWSurface2.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 05 December 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 356 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

I use UberSurface 2, but not for my humans lol… US2 is really good as it has more control and various layers of parameters. I have found US2 to be best for Aliens and creatures more so than humans… Though, If I wanted to make a human that is wet eg, they just got out of the pool, I would choose US2 over HSS. I used US2 for all the zombies I’ve made, for dirt covered clothing, The Terminator character was also US2.

I’ve been so happy with the realistic results of HSS that I’ve seen no reason to change, and it also works with layers of parameters such as Spec and Spec 2. It’s uncommon for me to make a character with only one specular.

In regards to Sub Surface and translucency, it is a very touchy procedure… Very much Dependant on the skin tone of the character, And it’s a trial and error sort of game until you get it right, but it’s certainly worth it in the end. If you have M5 pro bundle, it’s a good idea to study the settings of Philip/James/Benjamin and see how their surface parameters flow. make sure they have SSS and Trans switched on of course. And click my DA, in my favorites is a tutorial made buy RawArt who explains it quite well.

As I said it’s trial and error… But Interjections textures are my most favorite SS textures.

It’s also good practice to study Interjections surface settings as well. smile

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 357 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

WIP Trousers Update

Okay, so my tests with importing found issues with the previous version, so the pants are now Version 4.0 lol!

Weight mapping will slow the item, but will certainly bring it to it’s best. I have added the straps and am adjusting the pants fabric as required. The straps will be of equal resolution and is Sub Divided all the same. The straps will of course have clips… Am considering holsters, but am hesitant to use your typical drop leg holsters as this is Sci-fi man! So, may require further research before I work on that addition.

May make two versions of the pants… One with straps and one without. It’s a possibility. There are seams on the outer legs and on the inner. Next I intend to make A fly. Not sure how the pockets will go with the straps confused

Image Attachments
SD_Pants_Vers4_UD4_Straps.pngSD_Pants_Vers4_UD4_Straps_Back.png
 Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 358 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1385
Joined  2010-03-25
Spyro - 06 December 2012 12:44 AM

WIP Trousers Update

Okay, so my tests with importing found issues with the previous version, so the pants are now Version 4.0 lol!

Weight mapping will slow the item, but will certainly bring it to it’s best. I have added the straps and am adjusting the pants fabric as required. The straps will be of equal resolution and is Sub Divided all the same. The straps will of course have clips… Am considering holsters, but am hesitant to use your typical drop leg holsters as this is Sci-fi man! So, may require further research before I work on that addition.

May make two versions of the pants… One with straps and one without. It’s a possibility. There are seams on the outer legs and on the inner. Next I intend to make A fly. Not sure how the pockets will go with the straps confused

What a wonderful project. I can’t wait until I can see the final results. it looks great so far.

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 06 December 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 359 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Thanks very much Ivy!  at the moment I’m just trying to figure out the pockets and the fly, and to work out how they will be affected by the existing seams and the holster straps. I trailed two leg pockets, but I realized I went about making them the wrong way… But I think I have an idea of how I’ll make them now.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 360 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

I enjoy watching your progress on this Spyro. I’ve been learning also smile

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

24 of 35