Digital Art Zone

5 of 8
Is is time to start an almost futile wishlist for Carrara 9?
Posted: 02 September 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
tsarist - 02 September 2012 04:45 PM

I’d like the aniBlock importer and Reality to be added to the mix

There isn’t a Reality plugin for Carrara so it can’t be included…. And while there are plugins I like *better* than the ones I listed, I tried to list ones that would actually be a good feature in Carrara as a standard, either as a much needed function or something that would appeal to semi-professional users like video editors and game makers…, Aniblocks are only useful for GoFigure animations which are only sold at DAZ, so it’s a pretty limited use and not likely to draw new customers…. You can’t even create new Aniblocks without Daz Studio. I feel the same way about Optitex, too limited, but there may be D|S users who are holding back because of Aniblocks and Optitex.

GoFigure will probably be in the PA sale at 50% off (they were last year).

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 02 September 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6151
Joined  2007-12-04

Many great wish items here.
I am another of those glad to have Genesis support - even though Genesis, itself, isn’t quite good enough to belong as one of my “Main” actors - it seems to be just what the doctor ordered for making a lot of variety folks - if only it didn’t make save and load time so much higher. A bit more tweaking, I guess.

I’d LOVE to be able to select the hip of a character and drag it down - and have the feet stop at the floor (or other surface) and begin the bending of the joints - or even a way to be able to lock (pin) the foot, and have it hold.

I’d also love to see an option to deselect what parts will be effected with an NLA Clip.

Would be great to be able to manipulate the individual box corners of Fire and Vol Cloud primitives along the timeline (or even at all). Still think they’re great… but I could do much better if I had independent control over the overall shape of the thing. I really need a way to make the bottom of the fire to ‘not appear flat’.

More wave movement/shaping features for the Ocean Prim would be welcome as well.

I second the wish from page one (Holly, I think?) regarding selecting GPU assist for renders! What ever you do, please don’t change Carrara’s great interface!

Even more, I’d really just be happy to see Carrara stick around. After trying many other options in the 3d CGI Software realm, I am more than pleased with what Carrara has been enabling me to do (total cgi filming - with little-to-no need for post work, besides splicing and cutting) with animation.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 02 September 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
Dartanbeck - 02 September 2012 08:51 PM

I’d LOVE to be able to select the hip of a character and drag it down - and have the feet stop at the floor (or other surface) and begin the bending of the joints - or even a way to be able to lock (pin) the foot, and have it hold..

You can. Today. Right now. And you don’t even need permission. Or a license. As a matter of fact I just did something like that last week. And I think I posted a video of it. It works. Really. I’m not kidding.

Posted: 02 September 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5403
Joined  2006-08-27
Dartanbeck - 02 September 2012 08:51 PM

Many great wish items here.
I am another of those glad to have Genesis support - even though Genesis, itself, isn’t quite good enough to belong as one of my “Main” actors - it seems to be just what the doctor ordered for making a lot of variety folks - if only it didn’t make save and load time so much higher. A bit more tweaking, I guess.

I’d LOVE to be able to select the hip of a character and drag it down - and have the feet stop at the floor (or other surface) and begin the bending of the joints - or even a way to be able to lock (pin) the foot, and have it hold.

I’d also love to see an option to deselect what parts will be effected with an NLA Clip.

Would be great to be able to manipulate the individual box corners of Fire and Vol Cloud primitives along the timeline (or even at all). Still think they’re great… but I could do much better if I had independent control over the overall shape of the thing. I really need a way to make the bottom of the fire to ‘not appear flat’.

More wave movement/shaping features for the Ocean Prim would be welcome as well.

I second the wish from page one (Holly, I think?) regarding selecting GPU assist for renders! What ever you do, please don’t change Carrara’s great interface!

Even more, I’d really just be happy to see Carrara stick around. After trying many other options in the 3d CGI Software realm, I am more than pleased with what Carrara has been enabling me to do (total cgi filming - with little-to-no need for post work, besides splicing and cutting) with animation.

Regarding pinning feet to the floor, you can use target helpers for that. Did it tonight for a figure. If you’re going to use it in an NLA clip it can be troublesome. It would be nice to have a pin feature, but since you can already pin feet with a minute or two extra set-up time, I would prefer a walk designer.

When you set up your NLA clip, you have the option of what to include. If you’re doing a walk, you can exclude the arms (for instance) and create different arm swings which can be layered with the walk clip.

Volumetric clouds and fire can be scaled in the timeline. What I would like to see is an approximation of the area that the cloud takes up in the bounding box, plus an explanation of what the Animate button does in the set-up screen. I have never been able to animate settings in the volumetric clouds that transition smoothly.

I agree, It would be nice if you had a little more control of the fire. I would like to be able to set a wind direction and speed for the fire, plus a few other tweaks.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 02 September 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Here’s a repost of my post regarding the subject to which we are referring, ie, the movement of the hips re: the legs and stickage…

Okay, I may have given Carrara a bit of a bad rap that isn’t really deserved when I used an example of knee bending when you lower the hips. Turns out that’s pretty easy to do, as well as maintaining the feet/toes planted flat on the ground throughout the motion.

Below is an animation of H4 (the first time I’ve ever used the guy…anyone else think he’s really weird looking?) doing a simple squat, then balancing on each leg. What’s normally done automatically using expressions had to be done with FK (counter-rotating the spine to maintain balance), so since Carrara doesn’t have expressions the other examples I gave are still legit. But knee bends and foot planting are do-able.

The way I did it is to add an IK modifier to each shin and each toe, and then add three IK goals for each leg, and assign one each to the shin IK, the toe IK, and the foot IK. Took a bit of tweaking to figure out the best location for the goals, but once you’ve got that it works okay. Though I did have to remove rotation limits for the foot as I recall to keep the feet flat on the ground.

http://youtu.be/IQNnuT02WPE

Posted: 03 September 2012 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2008-01-01

If you’re going to use it in an NLA clip it can be troublesome.

Once the target helper objects have done their job and you’ve got the movements you want, you can disengage and delete them, so they won’t be troublesome in an NLA.  In fact, you can engage and disengage along the timeline for interesting actions.

Posted: 03 September 2012 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5403
Joined  2006-08-27
Roygee - 03 September 2012 01:41 AM

If you’re going to use it in an NLA clip it can be troublesome.

Once the target helper objects have done their job and you’ve got the movements you want, you can disengage and delete them, so they won’t be troublesome in an NLA.  In fact, you can engage and disengage along the timeline for interesting actions.

Tried that. My animations usually get screwy after I get rid of them. I’m not sure why. I suppose it could be that there are parts of the model that don’t move and don’t get keyframes generated by moving a target helper and don’t translate correctly throughout the animation. I just know I haven’t had much luck. I keep plugging away at ti though, because in theory it should work beautifully.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  0

Carrara is built upon plugins, just look at the extension folder.
In the past, some of these plugins were included as part of the software.
IE: RAYflects four elements & Blubble, Metastreams OBJ importer & 3DS importer.

The ideal solution would be for DAZ to approach the plugin developers who no longer wish to continue to update their product, and ask permission to update and include their plugin as part of Carrara.

There are/were some great plugins. either being developed, or no longer updated, that would really be helpful as an integral part of Carrara.

Posted: 03 September 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-04-01

My suggestion is to upgrade the business model, to add a higher spec Carrara that includes externally developed plugins to upgrade Carrara to a higher level that can compete with the more expensive render packages out there. Today there is an “advance pack” in the store that adds fire and smoke, that should be added to Carrara 9 Ultimate along with the previously mentioned functions for water, explosions, physically correct renderers and so on.

Carrara 9 - $199 -Same cut down version as today
Carrara 9 Pro - $549 - Same as today with one or 2 news from the Ultimate version
Carrara 9 Ultimate - $749 - Added 200 bucks to spread between: 50 bucks for Reality/Luxrender like integration, 50 bucks for fire/smoke/explosions, 50 bucks for dynamic clothes/water, 50 for something else important I forgot.

The usual 30% off for PC members, once or twice a year at 50% off, but the rebate should not affect the added 200$ on Ultimate since all of those money go the external developers.

But what do I know, I am just another noob…

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 03 September 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
3drendero - 03 September 2012 12:17 PM

But what do I know, I am just another noob…

3drendero, just because you’re a “noob” doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to think and figure stuff out. I just got done explaining why what you’re asking for is virtually impossible. But in spite of that, you suggest DAZ should include “externally developed” plugins for all the whiz bang features, and charge $50 each. Yes, externally developed plugins, if you can find someone willing to do it (which you probably can’t), and who is willing to work for almost no pay (not likely), and has the time and resources to do it in time for C9 (virtually impossible), are probably a reasonable alternative.

But unless you know of someone out there who wants and is skilled enough to develop plugins for Carrara that handle fire, smoke, rendering, fluids, etc., and can do it within our lifetimes, and is going to do it for almost no money at all, it ain’t gonna happen. But of course you’re free to believe what you want to believe.

Posted: 03 September 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-04-01

Sorry, missed your explanation.
Googled that both Blender and Carrara both use the bullet physics libraries, since blender has fluid simulation (bullet or not) the source code is available.
Guessing at least 100 Carrara Ultimates would get about 5000$ for porting an existing fluid sim, blender is just one example.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Physics/Fluid

Fire and smoke maybe could work by integrating Inagonis plugin and improving it, or take a look at the source code from blender and integrating that function for 5000$:
http://www.miikahweb.com/en/articles/blenderfire

Rendering plugins or exporters should be easier, since there are several engines already supporting several different rendering packages, there has to be an efficient work method behind it, either cheap programmers from India or something else.

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

I agree, it would be nice to have some of the stuff that already exists out there brought into Carrara. Some of the Blender stuff is wonderful.

But I think you are very, very much underestimating what that would take. Using your examples, $5,000 won’t get you doodly. First of all, $5,000 isn’t $5,000 when you’re in a company. Some goes to pay for marketing, and lights, and lawyers, and maintenance, and a whole bunch of stuff. So if you get $5,000 in revenues only a fraction is available to pay developers.

So let’s say it costs a company $50,000 per year just for a developer’s salary. That’s about $4,000 per month. Which means that $5,000 is about the cost of one programmer for a month. As any programmer will tell you, porting a fluids or other fancy code to Carrara will take a whole lot longer than a month. We’re talking many, many, many months. And you have to understand it all. How many programmers out there understand fluids code, or Carrara code? Same story if you find some guy in India.

And that’s not the whole problem. Who says you can take code from Blender and use it for commercial purposes? And do you think it’s easy to look at code you didn’t write and figure out what it does, especially if you don’t understand the equations it’s trying to reproduce? You’ve gotta understand the physics to understand what the code is doing.

My point is, once again, this stuff isn’t easy. It’s very difficult. Very, very difficult. And time consuming. And expensive. No matter how you do it. Paola had a plugin all set to go. He’d developed the same thing for DAZ Studio. He’d worked with DAZ. He knew the code for Reality and how to connect it to other software. Piece of cake, right? But it didn’t happen because he wasn’t convinced he’d make money in the long run, and didn’t want to risk it. Very smart move, IMO. And you can be guaranteed that just about any intelligent plugin programmer will see the same situation, have the same questions, and likely make the same decisions.

But people here tend to believe what they want to believe, and think he should have gone ahead anyway, solely because they want the plugin for Carrara. But the facts are contrary to what they want to believe. Just because you want it doesn’t make it reasonable.

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  503
Joined  2003-10-09

Definitely wouldn’t be cheap and not easy.

Looking at the Blender link for fire, it’s really doing some short particle emissions for smoke using a color gradient. Bet something could be done similarly in Carrara with some work using lights and some of the existing stuff like clouds. maybe not as elegant yet but I know Cripeman got clouds emitted by the particle generator. Maybe the existing fire could be tweaked a little more in a container and combined with the clouds from the particle emitter. Not one stop shopping but nobody said this would be easy. And Age of Armour/William Hurt has a bunch of examples he did, including a gun toting Aiko shooting up stuff here… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFxGFPoyXXc  That’s from 3 years ago.

There’s your gun toting “babe,” Joe. I like the one you did earlier in the thread. wink

Here’s a neat looking pouring water effect which is in reality a rotating torus with a water shader and some other tweaks done by mCasual in DS… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ito7Xnxve4  easily able to be done in Carrara.

I came across a link for a guy working on a Poser to Blender plugin that’s being paid for by a private investor. He’s been working on it for over a year a with a little success, but not everything goes over easily yet and one of his big problems is Blender is a moving target and he’s always having to make revisions for it. At least Carrara revisions are slow in coming and much of it hasn’t changed for several versions!

Posted: 05 September 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2003-10-09

here’s my wishlist, most of which are features that already exist in other 3d apps such as DS or Poser, so if they haven’t been implemented in Carrara by the time it’s reached v8, then they probably never will be. (p.s. i’m no Carrara expert, having only just returned to it after a long hiatus during which i was mainly using DS, so if there are ways to do any of these things, then please let me know):

> a shader selector, similar to DS’s Surface Selection tool. in a large scene with dozens, maybe scores, of different shaders, currently a user has to scroll through a long list and guess which is the one they’re interested in just from its name. as an aside, why doesn’t the existing eye-dropper thingee do that?

> the ability to edit one parameter (usually mad “glossiness” values) in multiple shaders at the same time

> the ability to keep the object manipulation tools (mainly the Move Tool) on screen all the time, so that it doesn’t move with the object. that would be far more useful than the current ability to simply move the object’s hotspot manually

> the app should remember settings (such as window sizes, things like “Show Production Frame”, and render settings), between sessions

> the Poser content browser should not try and slavishly copy the Poser directory structure, it should display any folder in the Poser runtime that isn’t set to “Hidden”. at present it doesn’t show the very useful new “Scene” directory because it doesn’t think it’s a “proper” Poser directory, and it does show a load of useless folders that vendors often set up for their own purposes or to store .pmd files

> allow the user to manage their browser objects a little more, i.e. being able to rename saved objects, shaders, etc, and allowing the user to actually ADD folders to My Objects or whatever, rather than having to do it manually in File Explorer. (i know there’s an “add folder” fuction, but it doesn’t actually add a folder, it just lets the user point to an already created one)

> allow the user to create their own thumbnails for saved files rather than the useless teeny little ones that get generated when you drag something into the browser window. shouldn’t be too difficult to use .png files for the thumbnails, same as everyone else does. (i know you can generate thumbnails if you do “save as”, but sometimes you just want to save part of a scene rather than the whole thing)

> the ability to look through lights as if they were cameras

> dynamic clothing would be nice

> more realistic skies, like vue’s or bryce’s

> um, some more stuff that i can’t think of right now, but i’m not holding out any great hopes for either

most importantly i hope that Carrara 9 is actually a proper new version of the app. when the main selling point of a new version of an app is “God Rays” you know that you’re not really getting a new version at all

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2006-05-09

Imagine if we could go back a few years.
Imagine if Daz had listened and came up with the great idea of rewriting Carrara as a modular 3d suite.
Taking the best of Bryce, Hexagon, and Carrara and created a true contender (even Daz studio in this context).
Every thing would be under the same hood. each module unlocked by a serial number. Dreaming again!
I have always been frustrated with what appears to be a lack of vision when it comes to Carrara. I know that Daz has added some features.
What gets me is when I came on board and bought C5 pro right before it sold to Daz - It was rated with the other 3d offerings.
Neglect mis-management has stripped Carrara of its potential. Sad.
That being said, we have watched cheetah, modo, and blender, implement bullet Physics - the right way. Over this time period, these 3d packages have undergone major transformation - All the while, the brunt of Carrara’s develope is for compliance and use with Dazstudio. Carrrara has not been able to develope naturely . Instead of being the flagship software, Carrara has stepped to the background, while da studio has been font and center. for this reason I will never use daz studio - it’s entire development and focus have been at the expense of Carrara. IMO - this has been a dis-service to the Carrara community and to the package itself.
For Christmas I would like:
(1) New native content. Why not? Watch Bremmer’s tutorial on creating realistic foliage - wow, who knew?
(2) stability - I am extremely tired of having to manually turn off my mac - because Carrara has stopped responding.
(3) More love for Carrara - It’s so obvious that Daz studio is enamored with their name sake.

There are other things…most already cited.
but to me the biggest is the thought of what Carrara could have been. We will never know.

I’ve been getting serious about learning blender. It’s hard to step away from Carrara - I love Carrara - and would throw down $300.00 - $400.00 without hesitation,  if I thought that I was investing in the development of Carrara and not Daz studio.
While, I don’t mean negative. I just wish Daz3d loved Carrara as much as I do. Geeze - look at how far Shade (now at v 13) has come in just the last few years.

5 of 8