Digital Art Zone

4 of 8
Is is time to start an almost futile wishlist for Carrara 9?
Posted: 01 September 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
Kevin Sanderson - 01 September 2012 06:40 PM

Probably the best way to get new features into Carrara is plugins. Maybe the plugin folks could dream up some new ones that tackle the weak parts..

Now that you mention it, I think that’s probably, realistically, the only reasonable way given the current state of affairs. Guys who like programming, want to make a few bucks (very few…), but don’t have the constraints of having to get paid for working 12 hour days on a plugin, because they just like doing it. Kinda like what makes Blender tick, I suppose.

Though personally I’m not a big plugins kinda guy, because I’ve seen far too many plugin efforts wither away, lose support, and fade into oblivion because the guy doing it gets a job, or graduates, or loses interest, or whatever. A company is somewhat obligated to maintain a product, but individuals aren’t. And anyone who is serious into it is going to want some sort of assurance that DAZ is going to be there to support them, keep the programming toolkit (SDK) updated and useful, and provide answers to their questions. I think that’s a problem now that DAZ seems to be bailing from the software buziness. Kind of the situation Paolo was talking about. If you’ve got the world’s most awesome fluids code, but can’t figure out how to integrate it with Carrara because nobody will respond to your emails about how a certain toolkit feature works, it’s all pretty much a waste.

Posted: 01 September 2012 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  503
Joined  2003-10-09

I started thinking about plugins after reading the original Carrara team from Metacreations who started eovia bought 25 plugins for Carrara, which are some of its useful features today, to make Carrara more robust than what it was as a cobbled together Ray Dream and Infini-D. There are the existing plugin makers like Digital Carvers Guild and Architools, who are still active and around doing updates and offering support, and guys like Fenric and Sparrowhawke… I’d even include the guys making skies and lightsets like Tim Payne and Dimension Theory and Ringo, holyforest and the others making shaders. Throw in the folks who make hair and landscapes. And Tugpsx making the OctaneRender plugin. We could consider content like that as plugins since they save so much work and can be modified. There’s a pretty good source pool right there.

Someone could come up with a set of sprites to be used in particles. I don’t think anyone has done that yet. There is a program that makes better smoke (an AE plugin) because it uses animated clips. What’s to stop someone like the folks above from doing the same to the current particle effects by allowing for animated clips (unless it already does… haven’t tried that yet).

Posted: 01 September 2012 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Yeah, but with all due respect to the existing pool of plugin and content makers, developing some serious features that people will get all giggly over Carrara is a whole different ballgame. Anyone can put together a lightset and shaders and skies in a few days, or maybe weeks, and you need basically zero expertise. And that kind of stuff is only good for those who already have the software, it’s not gonna get a bunch of folks buying for the first time. You need guys who are real experts in writing code for the latest technology, they follow Siggraph papers and understand it all, and can figure out how to make that into code, and are going to stick with it for the years it requires.

Nobody is going to flock to Carrara because it has a drag ‘n drop lightset that you can buy for $19.95. They’ll flock to Carrara if they see a cool video of V5 wearing a sexy bikini, trudging thru knee deep, flowing water generated in Carrara, her clothes whipping realistically in the wind, Carrara smoke blowing in her face, awesome Carrara fire and explosions all around her, bodies blowing up and body parts flying all over with awesome puppet physics effects, as she fires her M16 that has realistic and awesome muzzle blasts.

That’s a lot of plugins. But guaranteed you’d have a lot of guys wetting their pants over something like that.

Posted: 01 September 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  2009-07-13

you can use animated textures on particles, and animated Daz figures!
I have done both, and lights!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 01 September 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
wendy♥catz - 01 September 2012 08:50 PM

you can use animated textures on particles, and animated Daz figures!
I have done both, and lights!

Cool, Wendy!

Posted: 01 September 2012 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
JoeMamma2000 - 01 September 2012 08:43 PM

They’ll flock to Carrara if they see a cool video of V5 wearing a sexy bikini, trudging thru knee deep, flowing water generated in Carrara, her clothes whipping realistically in the wind, Carrara smoke blowing in her face, awesome Carrara fire and explosions all around her, bodies blowing up and body parts flying all over with awesome puppet physics effects, as she fires her M16 that has realistic and awesome muzzle blasts.

That’s a lot of plugins. But guaranteed you’d have a lot of guys wetting their pants over something like that.

heh heh, what a sight!

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Probably the best way to get new features into Carrara is plugins. Maybe the plugin folks could dream up some new ones that tackle the weak parts.

Hmmm, okay… The existing plugins that should be included are:

ShaderOps
ShadersPlus
Baker
(integrated with 3DPaint - touch up shadows with a brush!)
Jiggle (integrated with 3DPaint - yay!)
ERC (this needs a whole tool or inspector makeover. It’s too abstract for me I don’t get it)
Replica (instance modifier)
Fenric’s pose and timeline utility plugins should be in the interface, not as plugins
Architools and a few game exporters = instant game level designer
**Architools with the Camera Shader from ShaderOps2, along with an improved AfterEffects exporter or camera tracker = Virtual Sets with physics

Move 3D paint to the Shader Room where it belongs so it uses the realtime preview…

Take a look at how everyone else has implemented NLA tracks and steal the best ideas, and figure out how to do that morph list filter on keyframes and NLA tracks. The animation grid needs to be a floating window that follows us to every room, and stays focused where we tell it to with those filters applied, so we can animate shaders better…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 02 September 2012 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2008-12-02

The idea of a plugin architecture should be familair with DAZ as well as Studio is chock full of them. Heck if you took all of Holly’s list that’s a pretty big lift to the program straight up. Not so much for those who already own all or some of them however ..but certainly new users would find a much more complete application.

I think no mater how one would have do to get the job done of taking Carrara further if not the next step has to keep these things in mind-

It has to be be “easier”  to use then blender , quick to get results whether that be ease of the use of content or programatically and the pro version cannot get be priced to far from where it is now. (This is assuming you are still trying to keep it as a sub “big boy” product but one that still has some cool factor.)

Rich

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 02 September 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
holly wetcircuit - 01 September 2012 11:02 PM

Probably the best way to get new features into Carrara is plugins. Maybe the plugin folks could dream up some new ones that tackle the weak parts.

ShaderOps
ShadersPlus
Baker
ERC (this needs a whole tool or inspector makeover. It’s too abstract for me I don’t get it)
Fenric’s pose and timeline utility plugins should be in the interface, not as plugins
**Architools with the Camera Shader from ShaderOps2, along with an improved AfterEffects exporter or camera tracker = Virtual Sets with physics

Move 3D paint to the Shader Room where it belongs so it uses the realtime preview…

Take a look at how everyone else has implemented NLA tracks and steal the best ideas, and figure out how to do that morph list filter on keyframes and NLA tracks. The animation grid needs to be a floating window that follows us to every room, and stays focused where we tell it to with those filters applied, so we can animate shaders better…

Those would all be great included in Carrara! The game possibilities could excite quite a few folks since you can create game characters in Carrara that are your own and not under the DAZ EULA.

Posted: 02 September 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2005-10-18

I agree those additions built into Carrara would be amazing..

One thing to consider with regards to Carrara and content, is that I believe not many people realise that 90% of the Poser content out there will actually work in Carrara straight off the bat, bar the need to tweek textures of course.

The thing that keeps Poser at the top of the pile is that content makers specifically produce for Poser and market it as such..But if they were to add a line somwhere in their product info that says ‘this product also works in Carrara, with certain caveats’, you may see alot more interest in Carrara.

Daz could do it straight away with their store products with just a small line that says, ‘WILL work in Carrara’, and suddenly the program gets alot more exposure and is in peoples minds as opposed to just being forgotten.

SK.

Posted: 02 September 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2005-08-20

Hmm… a few changes I can think of on the spot.

Give us proper splines in the Vertex Room instead of immediately of committing them into line segments. I’d like to be able to adjust curves after spline creation.
Non-destructive deformers in the Vertex Room.
Free positionable deformers in the Assembly room.
Expose more parameters to animation and make them easier to keyframe. I remember trying to animate various shaders and coming to a screeching halt because the particular parameters I was looking at were not exposed.
Give us proper adjustment and symmetry tools for UV mapping.

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 02 September 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Okay, here’s a quick shot at the kind of advertisement that I think Carrara might need to really get the hobbyists all excited about Carrara. At some point. Way in the future….

It’s got much of the stuff that makes hobbyists all giggly…

Space stuff, hot girls, guns (with hand drawn muzzle blasts…), light beams (hand drawn), awesome fluids splashing all over, real fire, smoke (hand drawn), more guns, cloth blowing in the wind…

And most of all it’s really cheesy....

What took me about 25 layers in PShop to gather and tweak a bunch of junk images needs to be all done in software in Carrara (extremely important), preferrably with a single press of a button.

Image Attachments
Superchick.jpg

Posted: 02 September 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12
holly wetcircuit - 01 September 2012 11:02 PM

ShaderOps
ShadersPlus
Baker

I’d like the aniBlock importer and Reality to be added to the mix

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 02 September 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12

I want Daz to take their time and do it right!

Yeah, I’d like Reality and the AniBlock importer to be included, but if they could just make the software WORK correctly, that would be major!

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 02 September 2012 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

And by the way, what is this nonsense with the latest beta where it suddenly has problems saving scenes? Huh? The scene with only the character (image above) I couldn’t save cuz I got the error. Seems I’m getting it regularly with multiple scenes, even after I strip it just about everything from the scene.

This is just goofy.

Let’s change that from Carrara 12 to Carrara 15…...they’ve got a lot of work to do.

4 of 8