Digital Art Zone

8 of 8
Is is time to start an almost futile wishlist for Carrara 9?
Posted: 09 September 2012 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  934
Joined  2006-06-12
Kevin Sanderson - 09 September 2012 05:30 PM

It’s even more grating when they blast away at people like Andy (3dage) when he’s the most patient and helpful soul on the planet.

True. The 3D Man has helped me out a good many times.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 09 September 2012 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-21

I guess I view it different. I see DAZ as creators of great content who bought up older software to run it.  It’s obvious the company is still in content sell mode.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Carrara but I see it as a dead end. A platform for DAZ’s content, nothing more. I always heard how bad Blender was in it’s interface. Then you read how people use several programs to make up for what lacks in all the programs they use. Since digging into Blender, I love the “one program to do it all” aspect. As hard as it is to learn, it beats learning several, buying more plug ins to make up for what program A doesn’t do…...............
Do I loose out by not using Carrara? Sure. I miss the interface and ease of use. That’s about it. I have no use for the DAZ Dollies. My interests are building content for simulators. With Carrara it’s, build, add Baker for Normal Maps, export to Blender to get the game exporters I need…..... May as well just use Blender and skip the added costs of plug ins. Rather use one hard to learn interface than several along with importing/exporting between them.
Just think DAZ’s interests and cash flow are in content, not programs and some good programs are withering on the vine.

Posted: 09 September 2012 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4892
Joined  2006-08-27
JoeMamma2000 - 09 September 2012 07:31 PM
Dartanbeck - 09 September 2012 01:28 PM

As for the earlier post, I rarely, if ever swear at Carrara - and it almost never crashes on me. Sorry you feel duped.

yeah, I tend to agree. If there’s one thing that the PC version of Carrara has going for it, and historically (at least in the time I’ve been using it) has had going for it, is that it is pretty stable. Crashes are extremely rare, though with the lastest betas I’m getting some goofy error messages and an occasional lockup. But previous release versions have been surprisingly stable, IMO.

Sounds like the Mac versions are a different story, though.

I have to say that C7.2 Pro on my Mac has been pretty stable. Much more so than C5 was. I do run a fairly clean system, utility and application wise and I read up on the latest OS updates to see what gets broken or acts buggy.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 10 September 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5940
Joined  2007-12-04

I guess it’s a matter of “to each, his own” sort of thing. Those of us who live in Carrara currently have already lurked around within much of what Carrara has to offer. Daz3d bringing version 8 Pro to the 64 bit table is a sign to me that this horse ain’t dead!
We have some great plugin creators - and hopefully, once this whole update is done, they’ll stay on board with us. We also have, in our Carrara community, some very impressive artists and adventurous physics and particles users. Are we really that tight a niche? I don’t think so. You would think that, having the ability to add your own, custom morphs to your models - whether custom or store bought - would be a viable enough reason for the slight up-shift in price. But that barely touches the extra benefits that one can get with Carrara.

I’d also like to add, once again, just in case any Daz devs might read this thread, that I feel that they’ve done a remarkable job with version 8 - which was a large undertaking. But I also think that they’re doing the right thing by working through this thing to make it work even better. They’ve taken the poll and made the decision to add Genesis compatibility to Carrara (I was one of the voters in favor). Instead of calling it quits, they’re still working to make it better for D|S and Carrara and I can tell by the ride that it’s not been easy on them. Hats off to you all. I think that Daz3d DOES have what it takes and that they do have the marketing insight to be able to bring our Carrara to the next level - should they so choose. In the meantime, it’s doing exactly what I bought it to do - and in ways that far surpass my original intentions.

For suggestions toward the wishlist, I like Holly’s plan.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 10 September 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7183
Joined  2009-07-13

I just want to buy a permenant serial number for the damned thing.
I like Genesis, I quite like the not quite the latest but quite stable version I am using, happy to update to next beta when the bugs are squashed, prepared to pay already just so I do not have to worry about expiry dates all the damned time.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread

8 of 8