Digital Art Zone

2 of 6
Sci-Fi Novella Cover Design Contest (WIP Thread) - A.E. McCullough
Posted: 30 August 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16781
Joined  2003-10-09

I, or one of my colleagues, will be helping him with putting up an entry thread a bit later on. As we are going to include a Poll, so that there can be a popular vote on entries we need most of the entires to be done first before they are moved over the the contest thread, as we will need to add names to the poll.

SO I suggest that you use this thread for now, and If, by chance. you sre not around when the voting thread is put up we can always move the image or images over for you.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  429
Joined  2012-08-14

Thanks Choloe…you “beat me to the punch” on answering him.

Signature 

Brotherlobo aka A.E. McCullough
Self-published Author and Hobbyist Designer

Checkout my website @ http://www.aemccullough.com
or on Amazon @ A.E. McCullough on Amazon
or ‘like’ me on Facebook @ A.E. McCullough on Facebook
or on deviantArt @  Brotherlobo @ deviantArt

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16781
Joined  2003-10-09

Sometimes I am on the ball, although there are other times I do miss the easy pass.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 30 August 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2005-12-17
chohole - 30 August 2012 01:27 PM

I, or one of my colleagues, will be helping him with putting up an entry thread a bit later on. As we are going to include a Poll, so that there can be a popular vote on entries we need most of the entires to be done first before they are moved over the the contest thread, as we will need to add names to the poll.

SO I suggest that you use this thread for now, and If, by chance. you sre not around when the voting thread is put up we can always move the image or images over for you.

All righty, thanks!

Signature 

$5 eBook Cover Designs

Posted: 31 August 2012 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-12-17

Okay, here’s my official submission for the contest. The only cool armor I have is the Xurge Nanosuit, which doesn’t quite match the description of the Red Falcon, but I figured I’d given the cover a shot anyways. (The image of Saturn is public domain, BTW.)

Edit: this is a smaller version of the original image, which is 700x1000 px.

Image Attachments
m4_redfalc_final.jpg
 Signature 

$5 eBook Cover Designs

Posted: 31 August 2012 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-14
CNSamson - 31 August 2012 01:21 AM

Okay, here’s my official submission for the contest. The only cool armor I have is the Xurge Nanosuit, which doesn’t quite match the description of the Red Falcon, but I figured I’d given the cover a shot anyways. (The image of Saturn is public domain, BTW.)

Edit: this is a smaller version of the original image, which is 700x1000 px.

Nice work! Don’t worry about matching the armor perfectly—I describe it slightly in the novella but left a lot to the imagination on purpose.
We’ll make sure its moved over to the Contest thread when it is up and running. Thanks for entering, It looks good.

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-12-17
aemccullough - 31 August 2012 04:06 AM

Nice work! Don’t worry about matching the armor perfectly—I describe it slightly in the novella but left a lot to the imagination on purpose. We’ll make sure its moved over to the Contest thread when it is up and running. Thanks for entering, It looks good.

Cheers!

Oh, and I assume that entries can’t be displayed anywhere else (e.g. DeviantArt) until the contest is over?

Signature 

$5 eBook Cover Designs

Posted: 31 August 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2006-05-14

WORK IN PROGRESS IMAGE (NOT FINAL)

Here is another cover. This has El Gato and DJ. I am not finished with this image because it needs to be re-rendered because I didn’t light it right, causing it to have very long render times. I will re-render this overnight to get it just right. The border and title is complete but the main image will be slightly different from this one. This new border and title will be the final cover for the 3 covers I will submit. I am now working on Jagger Jax and will post that tomorrow. I am still trying to make one with all three in one image. My goal is to submit 3 covers (at 1500x2170) for the official entry next week.

Below the image is some other experiments with the title. I don’t think this works with the space theme so these are scrapped. Just thought they would be interesting to see. I may use this style for one of my stories later on.

Image Attachments
1a.jpg3a.jpg4a.jpgCOVER_3.jpg

Posted: 03 September 2012 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-14

WORK IN PROGRESS (NOT FINAL IMAGE)

Here is another cover I will submit. I am trying to get the background perfect. I’m working on a more suitable background and want it to be different from the first one. The rendering is also not finished (5 hours so far) Will post the group image (3 main characters) this afternoon or tomorrow. Should be finished with all covers by Friday and will submit the final versions then.

Image Attachments
COVER_5.jpg

Posted: 03 September 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-14

Nice….looking forward to seeing the final renders and hopefully more submissions from you and others grin

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2012 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-14
aemccullough - 03 September 2012 06:19 PM

Nice….looking forward to seeing the final renders and hopefully more submissions from you and others grin

I am looking foreword to seeing other submissions too. I shouldn’t be the only one. Surely there are others out there who want to win $25? I try to submit something to this thread to keep it at the top of the list.

What are the titles of your other books?

Posted: 04 September 2012 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-14
Jake__Russel - 04 September 2012 02:32 AM
aemccullough - 03 September 2012 06:19 PM

I am looking foreword to seeing other submissions too. I shouldn’t be the only one. Surely there are others out there who want to win $25? I try to submit something to this thread to keep it at the top of the list.

At the moment, there is 1 other submission, but then this was Labor Day weekend and the beginning of football season….maybe everyone else was just busy <fingers crossed>

I do have 2 fantasy novels out atm….but I have been discussing new cover art with a professional cover artist over the last month—if it falls thru, I will be running a similar contest or contacting some artists here directly. Although, I do have a different fantasy novel that is 3/4 of the way done but I’ve put on the ‘back burner’ until I finish my current Sci-fi novel and Fantasy series sequel. I know I will have a contest cover for that one….more details to follow.

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2012 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-14
aemccullough - 04 September 2012 04:04 AM

I do have 2 fantasy novels out atm….but I have been discussing new cover art with a professional cover artist over the last month—if it falls thru, I will be running a similar contest or contacting some artists here directly. Although, I do have a different fantasy novel that is 3/4 of the way done but I’ve put on the ‘back burner’ until I finish my current Sci-fi novel and Fantasy series sequel. I know I will have a contest cover for that one….more details to follow.

Wow, you sound like me. I am working on an epic fantasy series myself. I had to put it on the “back burner” to work on my kids iBook I will be publishing in a month as a way to get my name out there when I finally publish my first fantasy novel next year. I also have a sci-fi trilogy in the works but that won’t be finished for another year or 2.

About this contest. Maybe there are others who have read this thread and are diligently working on their cover and have just not said anything. Over 600 people have viewed this thread. At least 50 of those are considering the challenge. Remember, its officially over Sept. 16 so there is plenty of time for others to enter.

Posted: 04 September 2012 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1004
Joined  2012-01-29
Jake__Russel - 04 September 2012 02:32 AM

I would like to participate but I am not skilled enough yet. Plus I have several difficult college exams in September, so I have to concentrate on them and not fiddle with 3D. But I wish A. E. best luck with the book and the contest and I will be silently following this thread. I am curious who will win.

Posted: 04 September 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-14
Proxima Shining - 04 September 2012 05:49 AM

I would like to participate but I am not skilled enough yet. Plus I have several difficult college exams in September, so I have to concentrate on them and not fiddle with 3D. But I wish A. E. best luck with the book and the contest and I will be silently following this thread. I am curious who will win.

Thanks for the well wishes Proxima—I too am curious to see who wins.

Signature 

2 of 6