Digital Art Zone

89 of 101
Show Us Your Bryce Renders!
Posted: 30 September 2012 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1321 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 30 September 2012 03:28 AM

Ah… a few days out of the office and the website stops talking to me and and I’m up to my ears in emails.

Right, OK, looking backwards…

Horo, good suggestion about using the plop render.  You know, I rarely think to use it to generate the final image.  I just usually let the computer grind it out.  Must be OCD.  It just doesn’t feel right doing it that way.

Mark (LHD), did you notice that I popped up five video tutorials of Horo’s yesterday?

IBL-Advanced: Backdrop Sharpness, DOF and Saturation - by Horo Wernli
Projecting Light - by Horo Wernli
Tiling Objects - by Horo Wernli
Tiling Pictures (on a single object) - by Horo Wernli
Torus - by Horo Wernli

That should keep you out of mischief for a five minutes!

Why yes, yes I did notice them, now I have 5 more tutorials to add to the huge and ever growing list of tutorials found here, at your tutorial site and on your DVD and then now I hear you’re working on another DVD? I’ll be on my third reincarnation by the time I finish all these. smile Thanks though.

Posted: 30 September 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1322 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1427
Joined  2011-09-25

@David:  That is a tempting offer, but then what would I learn?  Except, maybe, “give it to David, he can do it.” LOL
I’m going to go back through the lighting tutorials and try to glean knowledge this time through.

@Dave:  Thanks for the advice, I will try it that way and see how things turn out.  Forgot about setting render qualities.  So much to learn, so much to forget. wink

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 30 September 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1323 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2554
Joined  2004-07-06
GussNemo - 30 September 2012 10:41 AM

@David:  That is a tempting offer, but then what would I learn?  Except, maybe, “give it to David, he can do it.” LOL
I’m going to go back through the lighting tutorials and try to glean knowledge this time through.

@Dave:  Thanks for the advice, I will try it that way and see how things turn out.  Forgot about setting render qualities.  So much to learn, so much to forget. wink

Well, what I usually do is send people a video along with the file to show how it is set up.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 30 September 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1324 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3454
Joined  2004-10-01
TheSavage64 - 30 September 2012 08:37 AM

Just for laughs I set the cloud material to 15 on the quality/speed to get rid of the banding and set the render to 1:1 in document set up, then switched to Premium at 16RPP… with none of the extra Premium options switched on and with the Max Ray Depth set down at 3, the estimation after the first pass was 22 hours, 5 minutes and 13 seconds. gulp

Well, quality needs time wink I actually meant that you do not increase the quality for the clouds, just render premium for the rigging. The few places with the banding in the clouds could be tried at higher quality with only plop rendering those small parts. But as I said, sometimes Premium is faster, but only sometimes.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 30 September 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1325 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-07-27

Two images done for a magazine article about the sarcophagus of the Egyptian Pharaoh Menkaure. Mostly done in Bryce but with some elements imported from Hexagon. The object of the article was to clarify the ingenious locking mechanism and my reconstruction of the probable decoration used. The real sarcophagus was lost at sea in the 19th century on its way to the UK so no photographs exist.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Sarcophagus_angle.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Sarcophagus_Lid_Propped.jpg

Sadly since doing this particular illustration my old Mac failed and as I now have a new Mac running Mountain Lion I am unable to use Bryce so cannot access this file of any other of my archaeological illustrations and reconstructions.

Posted: 30 September 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1326 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2010-02-18

Just don’t mess with me…;)

Title: “No Angel”

Image Attachments
angell.jpg

Posted: 30 September 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1327 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  2007-12-10

Same scene, different ship, different weather.

Image Attachments
Ship-in-Storm.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 01 October 2012 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1328 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Actually I reworked the above a bit and don’t know if it looks better for not having the rain and extra stuff on it.

Image Attachments
Ship-in-Storm-ALT.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 01 October 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1329 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2009-04-21

think I like the second one better, fwiw.  The clouds don’t look quite right with the rain to me, for some reason.

Posted: 01 October 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1330 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
Jamahoney - 30 September 2012 03:03 PM

Just don’t mess with me…;)

Title: “No Angel”

Could go for a hard rock band cover.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 01 October 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1331 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

@TheSavage64 - the first with the rain doesn’t look too bad, really. Nevertheless, the second looks better to me. Good work in any case.

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1332 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15586
Joined  2003-10-09

Dave I like the 2nd one, but prefer the colour of the clouds in the first one, looks more like we see rain clouds up here on this mountain.

Well we don’t see the clouds on this mountain, we see the clouds on the next mountain over, but I am sure you know what I mean.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 October 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1333 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2010-02-18

Could go for a hard rock band cover.

wink

Posted: 01 October 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1334 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 01 October 2012 06:56 AM

Actually I reworked the above a bit and don’t know if it looks better for not having the rain and extra stuff on it.

Both are fine renders but personally I like the one with the rain better.

Posted: 01 October 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1335 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Thanks chaps. My concern was that the ship in the first one was lighter than the clouds behind it.
The two rain layers I added altered the background quite significantly. I did try to make the ship darker but then it looked wrong against the ocean it was sitting in, which would have meant making the ocean darker too, then it would have lost a lot if it’s detail.

Anyway, I sometimes have a short attention span, so today I’ve gone back to just setting up some lighting.
I used the Soto Expressive Skull (free from Share CG) that I had imported from Poser for the guitar knobs.
The lighting is supplied by one of Horo’s Bryce content HDRIs and two radials (one white and one blue.
The specular on the skulls gives the yellow and green colours.

Image Attachments
3-Skulls.jpg
 Signature 

89 of 101