88 of 101
Show Us Your Bryce Renders!
Posted: 30 September 2012 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1306 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3589
Joined  2004-10-01
TheSavage64 - 29 September 2012 02:54 PM

@ David; Thanks for that about the clouds.
I’ve just saved the slab into the library though… It does help to have a good base to use even if it needs tweaking in each scene.
In the past I have recycled both scenery and skies by opening the relevant saved document and pasting in new components.

Anyway, I’m still playing with the same base cloud material, I thought I’d get my ship back out for this one.

Great render. There is slight banding on the clouds. Really not much but it could be remedied by increasing quality a bit. It often works to just plop render those parts.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 30 September 2012 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1307 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
Odaa - 29 September 2012 04:29 PM

Playing with Jed’s awesome freebie ships.  One has been postworked with some of Ron Deviney’s stuff, give at a bit of a wake.

The ship looks great. The second one has nice foam around the boat. The water, however, doesn’t look like liquid, rather massive. Water is transparent. Set transparency high, perhaps 99.5% and set Refraction, usually to 133 for water, but may have to be reduced a bit.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 30 September 2012 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1308 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2621
Joined  2004-07-06

Ah… a few days out of the office and the website stops talking to me and and I’m up to my ears in emails.

Right, OK, looking backwards…

Horo, good suggestion about using the plop render.  You know, I rarely think to use it to generate the final image.  I just usually let the computer grind it out.  Must be OCD.  It just doesn’t feel right doing it that way.

Mark (LHD), did you notice that I popped up five video tutorials of Horo’s yesterday?

IBL-Advanced: Backdrop Sharpness, DOF and Saturation - by Horo Wernli
Projecting Light - by Horo Wernli
Tiling Objects - by Horo Wernli
Tiling Pictures (on a single object) - by Horo Wernli
Torus - by Horo Wernli

That should keep you out of mischief for a five minutes!

Jamie (GN), the modelling and materialling is really coming along, if you ever fancy it, if you send it over to me I’ll have a go at lighting it for you with right fancy lighting.

Odaa, you’ve tackled a tricky subject and it has come out well.  Sea water is very difficult.  Here in my neck of the woods, I have the North Sea, once photographed, looks very often like it has been carved from a block of dark wet slate.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYfHuKi_-U&list=UUiWOMSuuIoUPGO4S0wAr67g&index=2&feature=plcp  not much transparency effect evident, but mostly reflection and specular response.

Dave (TS64), Those clouds look excellent and blend with the sky perfectly.  To change the impression of scale, experiment with lowering the fuzzy factor to give better edge definition - the cost of this will be increasing the quality still further to hide banding.

Dan, thank you, I worry sometimes I might be boring you with the endless incremental changes that I feel are improving the scene, but in the end, are not really changing the scene.  If I were as enthusiast about modelling as I was about lighting and materials, I’d come up with a better subject.

Canyonmanterry, good work with the mirrors, in some ways, I like the simple but effective scenes better because it allows the artist to really concentrate on fine tuning a limited number of light and material options.  Complex scenes overwhelm me and I find myself compromised because I just don’t have the time to modify every single element to suit my lighting idea.

Erich (@), For me the light on the walls is the real star of both your images.  The patterns in them are fascinating, half brickwork, half organic (vertebrae?).  Fantastic!

Tornado, great scene, I think there is still more potential to experiment with the lighting in this scene, the clouds maybe have a little too much ambient response and it looks like the ground and the buildings are slightly aglow.  If you want to play with the lighting, I recommend starting from scratch, get to a point where when you hit render you get perfect blackness and build your way up from there.  Don’t worry too much about the clouds for now I would say, sort the lighting out first and add the clouds as the last thing.  If you need them modifying and I’ve got the time I’ll happily look into that.

Silverdali, the reflection of the car looks almost surreal (maybe the clue here was in your name, but it put me in mind of melting clocks)  The light, colour and composition are spot on.  It belongs in the Bryce gallery for sure, if only there was one…

Ah… finally, I think I have caught up with myself.  OK, I will throw in a car render for good measure.  The car from TurboSquid, Vicky as per… from DS complete with her limited wardrobe (yes I know, I know, but who has the time to learn everything about every piece of software they own?).

Image Attachments
Fels_extended_rtr_rrp64_v10_withTA.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 30 September 2012 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1309 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4790
Joined  2004-07-01

nope still fuzzy

Posted: 30 September 2012 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1310 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2010-11-14
Odaa - 29 September 2012 04:29 PM

Playing with Jed’s awesome freebie ships.  One has been postworked with some of Ron Deviney’s stuff, give at a bit of a wake.

love the boat and the water reflection its a fab creation

Posted: 30 September 2012 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1311 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2010-11-14
David Brinnen - 29 September 2012 08:51 AM

I apologise in advance for making such a mundane contribution to this thread, but this is indeed what I’ve been rendering since yesterday.  This bit took about four hours to render.  Uses HDRI derived TA optimised gel lights and standard Bryce sun.  The idea was to simulate the kind of lighting that I see in the bathroom when the sun gets around to the West.

So realistic David love your work

Posted: 30 September 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1312 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Difficult to bring the car here, looks very nice. though.

Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2012 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1313 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2007-12-10
Horo - 30 September 2012 02:48 AM

Great render. There is slight banding on the clouds. Really not much but it could be remedied by increasing quality a bit. It often works to just plop render those parts.

Thanks Horo. smile

Yes, I did notice the slight banding. The clouds are set to 0 in the quality/speed and the render was still estimating at just under 3 hours (not including AA pass) after the first pass so I let it go. Obviously if the render had been for a client or if I’d have been going out for the day, I’d have increased the quality.
It only needed to go up to 15 to totally get rid of the banding, but the increased render time added another hour.

This render was further complicated by the fineness of the ship’s rigging which didn’t show up properly (was a bit jagged) when rendering at ‘Regular’setting (Fine or superfine were out of the question because of render times) meaning that I had to render it at 1:2 (twice as big) in the document set up then reduce it back down in Photoshop to allow the finer parts of the rigging to show better).

Maybe I’ll write to the EU Agricultural Committee and see if there are any subsidies available to start my own render farm. LOL

PS: Will someone fix this forum software!

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 30 September 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1314 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
GussNemo - 29 September 2012 10:47 PM

Light, yeah, I sort of like how that last image turned out, but something isn’t quite right.  I did have the shadows set to 100 at one point but it made the right wheel seem as though it extended under the wagon, or was attached to something underneath.

One way to get around this would be to soften the shadows.
In the Sky Lab under the Sun & Moon tab, you can set the sun.moon shadows to 100 and then directly underneath that, you can set how soft the shadows are. A bit if experimentation will be required, so start at about 10 and do a test render, then increase until the shadows are soft enough to be able to see a difference between the hard edge of the wheel and the soft edge of the shadow.
You’ll also need to set your render options to Premium when you render it and make sure that ‘Soft Shadows’ are enabled by clicking on that button.

Another way would be to use True Ambience but that may be more complicated because the scene and all the materials and lights would have to be set specifically to utilise the TA to it’s best. smile

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 30 September 2012 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1315 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
LordHardDriven - 29 September 2012 11:18 PM

I’ve just saved the slab into the library though… It does help to have a good base to use even if it needs tweaking in each scene.
In the past I have recycled both scenery and skies by opening the relevant saved document and pasting in new components.

Anyway, I’m still playing with the same base cloud material, I thought I’d get my ship back out for this one.

Terrible job there, too real looking smile

Better? LOL

Image Attachments
Ship-to-Shore-Basic.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2012 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1316 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2621
Joined  2004-07-06
TheSavage64 - 30 September 2012 07:08 AM

Better? LOL

Look Dave - it’s not on - if you are just going to start posting photographs in the forum and claiming they are renders… you are not fooling anyone.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 30 September 2012 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1317 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
David Brinnen - 30 September 2012 03:28 AM

Dave (TS64), Those clouds look excellent and blend with the sky perfectly.  To change the impression of scale, experiment with lowering the fuzzy factor to give better edge definition - the cost of this will be increasing the quality still further to hide banding.

Thanks David.
See my reply to Horo RE render times. smile
But all this is good information to have.
My problem in the past has been that when tweaking cloud materials, I tweak several bits (frequency in the DTE and base density in the Mat Lab instead of only adjusting one thing at a time to see the results. So a lesson for anyone just starting out with materials is to only alter one parameter at a time and see how your material is affected.
And now I have a better understanding of the DTE and various properties of the volumetric material, I will certainly revisit your excellent creating volumetric clouds tutorial as at the time, even though I got a good(ish) result, I didn’t really understand what I was doing, more just copying your instructions… I also need to understand better that last part in the tutorial about making the underside of the cloud have definition, you’d completely lost me by that point… bamboozled I was. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1318 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
TheSavage64 - 30 September 2012 06:32 AM

This render was further complicated by the fineness of the ship’s rigging which didn’t show up properly (was a bit jagged) when rendering at ‘Regular’setting (Fine or superfine were out of the question because of render times) meaning that I had to render it at 1:2 (twice as big) in the document set up then reduce it back down in Photoshop to allow the finer parts of the rigging to show better).

The rigging, yes, fine lines that are neither horizontal nor vertical can be a bit of a problem. Going Premium with 16 or 36 rpp may already remedy it. Premium is not necessarily longer because the AA-ing is included and the estimation close, while regular only shows the render time but not the AA-ing - which can be 10 times longer if you use IBL and transparency.

Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1319 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 30 September 2012 07:08 AM

Better? LOL

Much, but remember nobody likes a smartass render. smile

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1320 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
Horo - 30 September 2012 08:05 AM

The rigging, yes, fine lines that are neither horizontal nor vertical can be a bit of a problem. Going Premium with 16 or 36 rpp may already remedy it. Premium is not necessarily longer because the AA-ing is included and the estimation close, while regular only shows the render time but not the AA-ing - which can be 10 times longer if you use IBL and transparency.

Just for laughs I set the cloud material to 15 on the quality/speed to get rid of the banding and set the render to 1:1 in document set up, then switched to Premium at 16RPP… with none of the extra Premium options switched on and with the Max Ray Depth set down at 3, the estimation after the first pass was 22 hours, 5 minutes and 13 seconds. gulp

Signature 

88 of 101