Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
New Forum Issue - I think
Posted: 26 May 2012 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2005-04-06

The forum is acting strangely… I was logged into the store, but when I came here I was logged out.  Not a big deal huh?

Well it wouldn’t let me post I had no option but viewing it.  It was only corrected when I had to delete the cookies AGAIN.

Now, that I am able to post again, I can’t see my full WYSIWYG editor, just what yiou see in the pic below….

I know Daz must be going nuts, and I feel badly for them…..  But, I am too.  It is so hard to do anything on the site. 

Of particular upset are:
1) Required products on store pages are insane.
2) No end date to sales is very difficult, unless I am the only one on a budget….  hmmm
3) I’m afraid to use the store.  I buy gift certificates to ration my spening.  I am due to grab another but I am afraid it will get screwed up….  red face
4) No useable order history
5) No warning system to tell me I have purchased something.
6)  I won’t go on here.

One suggestion, I know no company wants to spend extra money, but it may be time to bring in some software guru’s.  I think every platform has some.  They could come in and work with your in house stuff and get things rolling.  God, I hope you do take advantage of this!

It is sooooooooooo hard to shop, browse, or even use the forums here (now).

BTW, anyone know when the SS Pro Bundle will go off sale???

Signature 

Former Post count 2152.  Somehow adding this makes it hurt a bit less. 

Posted: 27 May 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2003-10-09

I’n all my years on the internet, I have never seen a store/forum transition as disastrous as this. But since DAZ was in the process of alienating half their customer base anyway, I guess this finishes the job for them…

Signature 

Software choice: Poser Pro 2012

Posted: 27 May 2012 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16785
Joined  2003-10-09
Wiccan1 - 26 May 2012 11:25 PM

The forum is acting strangely… I was logged into the store, but when I came here I was logged out.  Not a big deal huh?

Well it wouldn’t let me post I had no option but viewing it.  It was only corrected when I had to delete the cookies AGAIN.

Now, that I am able to post again, I can’t see my full WYSIWYG editor, just what yiou see in the pic below….

I know Daz must be going nuts, and I feel badly for them…..  But, I am too.  It is so hard to do anything on the site. 

Of particular upset are:
2) No end date to sales is very difficult, unless I am the only one on a budget….  hmmm
3) I’m afraid to use the store.  I buy gift certificates to ration my spening.  I am due to grab another but I am afraid it will get screwed up….  red face
6)  I won’t go on here.

One suggestion, I know no company wants to spend extra money, but it may be time to bring in some software guru’s.  I think every platform has some.  They could come in and work with your in house stuff and get things rolling.  God, I hope you do take advantage of this!

The sporadic logging out is getting annoying, we do know, and it has been reported.

We have found that the the best way to deal with it when you appear to be unable to login to the forums again is to log out on the store, and then login again, once you have had the messagage that you are being logged out.

THe rest of the itmes that you have given as unstisfactory have all been noted, as you will see if you visit this thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/123/

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 27 May 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  522
Joined  2006-07-28

It’s also frustrating because I don’t ever know if I am REALLY seeing all the current new products.

Wiccan1 - 26 May 2012 11:25 PM

Of particular upset are:
6)  I won’t go on here.

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 27 May 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  694
Joined  2008-07-16

Yeah, the same happens to me.
Very annoying.
Then again, I’m pretty annoying so I suppose it is some sort of poetic justice.

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  522
Joined  2006-07-28

I now know I am not seeing all the current new products.  I logged into the DAZ store on a second computer.  I had yet to visit the new site on that computer.  After logging in and clicking New Releases, it shows there are 107 products available, the two most current are Actual Face Hair and Genesis Bracer.

I then closed the DAZ store on this computer, opened a new tab, went to the DAZ store again, logged out, logged back in, clicked New Releases.  105 products in New Releases.  I logged out again and logged back in again.  Still 105 products in New Releases.  The two “most current” products are Supersuit Fantasy Pack (first item, fourth row on my second computer) and Extreme Heros: AXS (3rd item, fourth row on my second computer).  Actual Face Hair and Genesis Bracer are not listed at all in New Products on this computer.

At least the old broken store showed the same products in the same order on both computers.

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16785
Joined  2003-10-09

Ah but think of the fun you are having   It’s a surprise every time.

Oh dogs, where is the devilish laugh emoticon   ?????

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 28 May 2012 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12182
Joined  2007-11-06
natrix natrix - 27 May 2012 12:43 AM

I’n all my years on the internet, I have never seen a store/forum transition as disastrous as this. But since DAZ was in the process of alienating half their customer base anyway,

I guess this finishes the job for them…

...as I mentioned in another thread, the inherent shortcomings of this new software appear to far outweigh any benefits it offers to improve the experience here.

After clicking on “Preview” while writing this I was thrown to the login page (again with empty fields) after which I received another “Document Expired” error.  Though I have been backing my posts up in Notepad (which has become S.O.P. with the new forum software) I still lost some of what I wrote.  I was also logged out even though I was active in the forum (entering text at the time).  Once again when I clicked the “Login” link at the top of the page I was redirected to my account page (which indicated I was already logged in) after which I had to Log Out, log back in and then manually navigate back to the thread.

...this is absolutely ludicrous having to keep going through all these hoops every so often.

I have to say that what I’ve seen so far of the new software leaves me very underwhelmed. Some of the new policy changes are directly related to what the software is unable to handle rather than the business of running Daz3D. This to me says this software is an inferior product as it is causing Daz to adopt some measures that are unpopular with many of it’s longtime customers and community members including those of us who pay to be members of the PC.  Apparently the site software isn’t very “friendly” with some of the widely used online services either such as Gmail and, as I have mentioned above with the Expired Document warnings (which I never saw until the new forums came online), Firefox

Rendo, RDNA, EvilInnocence, and Dumpshock Forums are just a few sites I frequent that underwent major site updates and none had the long running issues like we are experiencing here.

I agree with Wiccan1, it may be time to cut the losses and bring in a group of professionals to get the ship righted once and for all.  IMO Daz should ditch the current vendor, demand a full refund, and then with the assistance of independent networking consultants, look into implementing software that would make the store and forums useable again.  As I have seen in posts throughout these forums, Daz is in serious danger of losing a good part of its customer base because of the ongoing issues associated with the new site software (which is now into its second week).

Until this transition can be made as smoothly and seamlessly as on other websites, they should also reopen the old store and forums.

I have since modified my store profile to delete all CC info as I feel the store in it’s current state could present a potential security risk. I am not going to make any purchases until I feel this site is stable.

I don’t want to see Daz fail, but if this continues on for another couple weeks or so, it’s going to become increasingly difficult to hold out any hope.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 28 May 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7907
Joined  2006-03-19

They are working on the issues as fast as they can. They can’t work miracles overnight. Most of those issues have been reported. The store is in absolutely no threat of being a security risk which has been stated several times. You have the right to remove you CC info if you please but that don’t change the fact that there is no risk. DAZ can’t just swap back to the old store and forum. Things aren’t that easy. The store and forum are attached to each other and have to be running together. The best they can do is shut down the store and forum for an undetermined amount of time and have the entire public ticked off at them for doing so, as happened when they just did it. SO they are in a lose lose situation.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 28 May 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-08-14
Frank0314 - 28 May 2012 08:36 AM

...DAZ can’t just swap back to the old store and forum. Things aren’t that easy. The store and forum are attached to each other and have to be running together. The best they can do is shut down the store and forum for an undetermined amount of time and have the entire public ticked off at them for doing so, as happened when they just did it. SO they are in a lose lose situation.

Let me try to understand… DAZ did a complete site replacement with no back-out plan? Please tell me someone lost his/her job over that.

Posted: 28 May 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...agreed, that alone would be case for sacking of the individual(s) responsible at my or any company which relied on customer/client net access for their business.

The question that still remains for me is why is it that the other sites I mentioned above experienced minimal disruption to service and few if any “negative” changes to site operation while Daz is struggling so hard for so long?

On the Members Only Forum there is a growing number of people saying they are going to let their PC memberships expire and not renew because of policy changes (one of which I understand is directly related to the new site software) and issues with the store.

I’m not bringing this up to bash at Daz.  I’m very concerned for the company which is why I bring these points up. Sometimes the toughest things to hear come from those who care the most.

I once worked for a company that was at the forefront of multimedia development which had incredible potential and promise were it not for several questionable and ultimately critical decisions made by upper management that literally flew the firm into the ground.  Quite likely it would have been our search engine most people would be using on the net today as we pioneered much of what Google, Yahoo, MS Bing and others later capitalised on.

...I’m beginning to see a similar pattern occur here.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04
Frank0314 - 28 May 2012 08:36 AM

They are working on the issues as fast as they can. They can’t work miracles overnight. Most of those issues have been reported. The store is in absolutely no threat of being a security risk which has been stated several times. You have the right to remove you CC info if you please but that don’t change the fact that there is no risk. DAZ can’t just swap back to the old store and forum. Things aren’t that easy. The store and forum are attached to each other and have to be running together. The best they can do is shut down the store and forum for an undetermined amount of time and have the entire public ticked off at them for doing so, as happened when they just did it. SO they are in a lose lose situation.

I understand that DAZ feels they must try to fix the issues at hand, but this has been going on for well over a week.

I have been on this site everyday and it seems very little progress has been made. In fact some of the issues other people have been experiencing I had not experienced until the last couple of days, so to me it actually has regressed since going online.

Why would it be so difficult to bring back the old store until the bugs can be worked out of this one. If it takes a day or two to go back to the old system that at least works, no matter how much duct tape is needed, then please do so until such time the new site has at least some semblance of stability.

I have made known my frustrations in other posts so no need to go there anymore, I am just looking for some sort of solution to help us and most importantly to help DAZ, because if this keeps up, the customers and money lost may impact this store so badly that DAZ will never be able to recover from it.Then we all lose.

Hopefully in a couple of more days the major issues are all worked out and this will all be in the past, but from what I have seen so far, it’s going to take much longer than that.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 28 May 2012 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9327
Joined  2007-11-06

I am hopeful that there will be more progress on fixes and improvements after the 3-day weekend is over.

The reason they cannot put the old store back up is that it takes the full-time effort of their web staff just to keep it running—that’s why it took 3 months longer to switch to the new site than planned.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 29 May 2012 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...the thing is the new site software is a total bust.  The store is unstable and the forums are a mess. if other sites like Rendo or RDNA can update their sites without a hitch why can’t Daz?

The answer is they got stuck with the wrong software as it actually hamstrings rather than improves the store and forums.

There are many PC members (some of them long timers) who are bailing after their memberships expire.  That should send a clear message to management that they are heading down the wrong track with this site update.  Yes, the old one may have been a pain to maintain, but it was still better than what we are dealing with now.

Many others have said they will not make any purchases until the site is stable.  However, when will that happen, a week? Two weeks? A month from now?  That translates to a lot of lost revenue which for a small company like Daz would be deadly.

I cannot believe they are willing to risk the company over this.

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17
Kyoto Kid - 29 May 2012 01:16 AM

...the thing is the new site software is a total bust.  The store is unstable and the forums are a mess. if other sites like Rendo or RDNA can update their sites without a hitch why can’t Daz?

The answer is they got stuck with the wrong software as it actually hamstrings rather than improves the store and forums.

Many others have said they will not make any purchases until the site is stable.  However, when will that happen, a week? Two weeks? A month from now?  That translates to a lot of lost revenue which for a small company like Daz would be deadly.

Yes, the forums are a mess.  However, the store takes precedence.  The old store was failing, and there were PC members screaming about leaving then, as well.  Manpower isn’t free.  Supporting the old software was becoming a drain on resources.  Better a short term pain, quickly forgotten, than a long term chronic ailment that bleeds resources until nothing is left.

Could the transition have been better handled?  Sure, in many ways.  We have what we have and we either play with the hand we’ve got or not.  It’s the individuals’ call.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 02 June 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  963
Joined  2006-06-12
Kyoto Kid - 29 May 2012 01:16 AM

There are many PC members (some of them long timers) who are bailing after their memberships expire.  That should send a clear message to management that they are heading down the wrong track with this site update.  Yes, the old one may have been a pain to maintain, but it was still better than what we are dealing with now.

I’d hate to be the Daz Web guys having to fix this mess. Nightmare.

I’d REALLY hate to be the guy who sold Daz this monster. I would ring them up and demand my money back if they don’t send out tech support to fix this mess.

This is a mess and think Daz got badly burned on this one.

cool hmm

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

1 of 2