Digital Art Zone

2 of 4
Tupperware, anyone….?
Posted: 28 August 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2010-01-27

Careful! Remember, Apple has a patent on rectangular objects with round corners.

Signature 

—————————-
“By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.”—Socrates
http://www.improbable.me
Using DS 4.5.0.114 Pro 32 bit poorly.

(Formerly Halfbubble)

Posted: 28 August 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1586
Joined  2008-11-10

No, Apple has a patent on the look and feel of their product. I remember previous mobile products didn’t look anywhere near their products and companies laughed about the look… and the fact it had no buttons… until customers started buying it like crazy… then the companies tried making their products similar to what Apple had.. that’s why they got sued.

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-07-16

I was under the impression they also had filed for a court order against Nature for producing fruit that conflicted with their brand identity.

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 28 August 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14008
Joined  2003-10-09

Let’s not get into brand battles, please.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 28 August 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7498
Joined  2009-07-13

which raises the question
can you call it Tupperware?

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 28 August 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15641
Joined  2003-10-09

Very good point actually.  Would be better to find a like sounding name

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 28 August 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2010-01-27

I was being silly.

Signature 

—————————-
“By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.”—Socrates
http://www.improbable.me
Using DS 4.5.0.114 Pro 32 bit poorly.

(Formerly Halfbubble)

Posted: 28 August 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2003-11-30
lordvicore - 28 August 2012 10:26 AM

I was under the impression they also had filed for a court order against Nature for producing fruit that conflicted with their brand identity.

I thought that The Beatles tried that…

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6179
Joined  2003-10-09

You can always call them “plastic bowls with resealable lids”...people will know what they are.

For similarly named items we used to call it “Burperware” or “Suckerware”.

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“I hope that after I die, people will say of me: ‘That guy sure owed me a lot of money.’” - Jack Handey

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6179
Joined  2003-10-09

As a side-note, my Mom used to wash and save used margarine and Cool Whip containers. They reseal and work pretty well. I call ‘em “red-neck Tupperware”.

grin

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“I hope that after I die, people will say of me: ‘That guy sure owed me a lot of money.’” - Jack Handey

Posted: 29 August 2012 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2003-10-09

@ lordvicore

Thanks for the tips.

I registered at SketchUcation a week or so ago, and already downloaded a few dozen Ruby scripts - I really love the way they enhance SketchUp, and the community seems very friendly as well - sorta reminds me of the Poser community in general.

I’m a bit short on dough at the moment, but I’m contemplating buying this Artisan package in the future; having some subdivision tools to work with should be nice. Do you have any experience with it?

I’ll have to look into Blender - downloaded it, but haven’t installed it yet. Judging from the Big Buck Bunny  short they produced with it a couple of years ago it should be a very versatile program.

Between my Tupperware-tests I decided to do something less curvy on the side, and using some reference material I found on the net I’m now recreating a piece of equipment that I used to own; a mid 1970s Philips portable cassette recorder. I’ll be switching between the Tupperware and this recorder for the next couple of days - whenever I get a bit frustrated with one of them i’ll switch to the next.

Given the fact that up until now, I never showed any modeling talent whatsoever, and that I spent less than a day at the recorder thus far, and that I’m still just learning SketchUp by doing, it is amazing how quickly you can achieve nice models with it.

At the bottom of this post a render pretty much the way the model is, at this moment, in P7 Firefly, and some simple glossy material settings, and with the transparent plastic and buttons still placeholders done with the basic primitives from Poser. No textures are used apart from a Lakerem reflection map; it’s all geometry, even the loudspeaker raster. I’m planning to include some modeled Din-sockets and see how far I can get into detail. The only thing I gave up on for now is accuracy in the roundness - the original model was slightly curved, but that would have given me so much issues to solve that I decided to keep my version basically rectangular in shape. (The freebie SUCoolean Boolean Ruby plug in that I have will not have me cut holes into curved shapes created with the FollowMe tool - are the boolean tools in the commercial version of SketchUp any better, or is there another solution?)

I’m planning on sharing this one as well once it’s finished, maybe with a fake trade name to avoid copyright issues.

Image Attachments
recordertest-4-.jpg

Posted: 29 August 2012 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
wendy♥catz - 28 August 2012 01:06 PM

which raises the question
can you call it Tupperware?

I’m calling it Tupperware here at this forum. Whenever I will release the stuff on ShareCG or wherever, they’re going to be called ‘1950s style food containers’. I’m not going to take chances with copyright issues. Seems to be a DAZ/Poser-habit anyway, judging from the way most celebrity morphs are named…..  grin

Posted: 29 August 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14008
Joined  2003-10-09

Heh, we had one very like that as our first mass-storage device, hooked up to an Acorn Atom - though I think it must have been a slightly different model as I recall it having five buttons plus the eject.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 29 August 2012 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

@ Richard Haseltine

My defintitive model will have five buttons plus the eject as well - I just was a bit lazy for my test render, and thought that for just a sneak peak four standard Poser cubes would do the trick as well, as I have not modeled any of the buttons yet.. The volume slider is also still missing. I need to re-size the hole for the buttons for a better fit - unfortunately, I have no info about the dimensions of this thing, and have to go by best guessing. As I never know how the model behaves after importing it in Poser-Studio, I go back and forth between the programs a lot, to see what modeling methods work, and what methods do not translate well when imported into other software. SketchUp itself is not picky about the quality of the mesh at all, and almost anything will look smooth from inside of SketchUp - one of the biggest drawbacks of the program when modeling for Poser.(Together with the lack of decent boolean and subdivision modeling tools.)

And, yes, tape recorders as storage devices - I still remember my first attempts at Basic on a Tandy TRS80,  somewhere around 1983. Loved the sounds that went with it. They even broadcast basic programs over the radio in these days. Weirdest broadcasts ever… grin

Posted: 29 August 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-07-16

@ Sempie
Yes, I would recommend purchasing Artisan. My only complaint is there does not seem to be much documentation to go along with it, aside from some YouTube video tuts… I’m not too crazy about them since sometimes it is hard to see what exactly is being clicked on… but for $40 I can hardly complain. The videos will get you pointed in the right direction though and the rest is trial and error. I already used Artisan to make some seats for a hovercar I made and a couple of other things too, but I really should work with it more.

Check out this list of plugins:  http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=28782

I recommend picking up practically everything by Fredo6, especially TruPaint, Joint Push-Pull, Tools on surface and Curviloft.
Also:
thomthom- Quadface tools, shell,TT Lib (newest version),UV toolkit and Material replacer.

TIG- All the “extrude by” tools, Pipe along path and OBJ exporter 2.6…(works great on models where smoothing is not so important and models that you wish to preserve the textures original name in when exported… thus DarkSteel stays DarkSteel in Poser’s or DAZ’s Material room as opposed to ID228 or some other odd designation).

Whaat- SketchUV (not free-$15)

tak2hata- Make Fur.

There are tons more, but those are some of the “Must haves”.

Blender is incredibly versatile and very powerful… but not very intuitive. I have made some stuff using it, but for what it was worth, once I learned how to do it, I could still make the same thing in SketchUp in 1/4 the time.  But everyone is different… For me the intuitive nature of SketchUp’s modeling methods is not just the greatest thing, but the method of view/camera movement is extremely easy and intuitive as well… being able to easily move around what you are working on makes modeling so much quicker easier… which is one thing that I find a bummer in Blender… too keyboard intensive.

Using both Tools On Surface and Joint Push-Pull ( by Fredo6 ), you could draw a shape on the curved surface and then push-pull it out or in… it takes a little practice to get precision, but its not hard.

Two other tips if you are not already aware.

Deleting is not Deleted… when you are modeling, remember to often use “Purge Unused” (Window > Model info > Statistics > “Purge unused” button.)... this will remove any unused component and group data from parts you may have have deleted. This becomes more important when you use image based textures and groups and components (for example if you make a universal part like a door, window or column which you end up importing into other SU models, that part is considered a component… if you delete it from that model, SU still holds on to some of the data (probably for instancing)... doing this a few times can unnecessarily bloat a file. I once made an ornate railing that was 57 MB, when I remembered to “Purge unused” it became 6 MB… (thats an extreme example).

Don’t be afraid to break the model down into smaller sections and reassemble it in poser… as long as you make sure you model at world center (the dotted green line is the direction the camera faces in Poser,by the way) and all of the subsections you make are aligned to their proper coordinates, everything should show up and line up just fine in Poser (or DS).  Breaking up the model into sub sections can help overcome issues found with models with heavier geometry.

Lastly… you are making great looking stuff!  You have very good model making skills.

Good luck.

BTW- Sorry if I repeated anything you already know… I just like sharing whatever knowledge I’ve picked up, and whatever I’ve found that might save others time and effort searching for.

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

2 of 4