Digital Art Zone

DAZ Studio 4 and i7 processors?
Posted: 25 August 2012 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-24

Does DAZ Studio 4 support the advanced features on the Intel i7 processor, such as hyper-threading and the on board GPU?

I’m considering getting a new rendering machine and don’t know whether it’s worth going for the i5 or the i7.

Obviously, it won’t be worth paying extra for an i7 if I cannot take advantage of its features.

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13639
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, DS will see all cores, including the virtual cores from Hyperthreading, on an i7 - I got quite a kick seeing eight CPU boxes filled up in task manager on my first render on this machine. On-board GPU will be sued if that’s what the system sues, though Intel graphics tend not to offer good OpenGL support so that may be an issue - in geernal you are better off with a real video card from ATI or nVidia.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-24
Richard Haseltine - 25 August 2012 05:00 AM

Yes, DS will see all cores, including the virtual cores from Hyperthreading, on an i7 - I got quite a kick seeing eight CPU boxes filled up in task manager on my first render on this machine. On-board GPU will be sued if that’s what the system sues, though Intel graphics tend not to offer good OpenGL support so that may be an issue - in geernal you are better off with a real video card from ATI or nVidia.

I intend to get a discrete graphics card too, it was just whether or not you could use both the on board GPU and the card as well?

Posted: 25 August 2012 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13639
Joined  2003-10-09

I don’t know about using both GPUs - I assume you are thinking of things like LuxRender that can use the GPU to speed calculations?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list