Digital Art Zone

6 of 8
Cat-like ’eyeshine’ in Daz 3D - Tutorial Page 6
Posted: 29 August 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4880
Joined  2009-02-26

Here is my first serious render of eyeshine… Took me all night… Just sayin tongue rolleye ... There was post work on this render, But I DID NOT touch the eyes.

Image Attachments
SpyEyeshine1-_Marcusfinnigon.jpgSpyEyeshine1Crop_-Marcusfinnigon.jpg
 Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 29 August 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4474
Joined  2004-08-11

I like it allot.  You going to release a nice little freebie??  cool grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 29 August 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15338
Joined  2003-10-09

That is lookin good

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 29 August 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2007-03-19

Nice work… she looks good… If you don’t mind a suggestion I’d maybe add a slight green or red tint to the eyeshine (you’ll see a colour shift like that in a cats or dogs eyes depending on angle and light source)... don’t make it too strong if you do… just a subtle suggestion of colour… but that’s just a suggestion.. all in all very nicely done! smile

Signature 

Schell’s Armour Works… Home of “Theschell’s” Fantasy, Sci-fi and Historical models for Daz and Poser. Come check out my Website and Store at http://www.schells.ca ... Hope to see you soon!
Old Posts Count: 672

Conforming Figures Tutorial at http://www.schells.ca/ConformingItemswithDaz.pdf

“The only good place for a troll is under the bridge where he belongs!”

Posted: 29 August 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2006-09-09

Well, I don’t have the eyeshine shader, but my trick was applying Sha’s free water shader to the eyes, upping the transparency, fiddling with the specular & ambient values.

First image is without the shine; second with….

Image Attachments
without_glow.jpgwith_glow.jpg
 Signature 

I stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
cool grin
Old post count: 2426
cool smile
Me on Facebook
My Freebies
My Gallery

Posted: 30 August 2012 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

First off, Thankyou guys, that really means allot to me cheese

Just to clarify things, this is not an ‘invented’ shader or anything like that. It’s not a commercial thread for a product lol This is simply a learning thread, where idea’s are being thrown around, mixed and matched and identifying the pros and flaws of what works and what can be improved smile

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, a tutorial of various methods from all the help of everyone during the process and the findings will be written up shortly.

@Flamewing - Love the eyes Flamewing! It’s great to see smile Nice colour and ambiance! (With that Idea, (I tested it out a while ago) An ambient map is really effective, If you got Photoshop, it’s really fun to control the ambiance and it doesn’t have to be just the pupil either. If you look back in this thread you’ll see an example and a downsized ambient map on the eye that I painted)

@Chrisschell - Yes colours are VERY effective. With most of my learning in this thread, I’ve been very influenced by Riddick (At least for the Pupil) And I just love the colour blue lol! I attached a quick render of green eyeshine, using pretty much the same parameters of the blue eyes… Just changed the spec colours of spec1 and spec2 from pale blue to green. And OF COURSE, the vibrancy of the colours can be altered to suit the environment of the character.

For this render, I used the lights from the recent full scene render. Blue changed to green. Had to set the vibrant of the green to a brighter hue as the lighting is a bluish night style. Also after Flamewing’s post, I incorporated a subtle Iris Ambient map. Iris was also changed from blue to yellow. tongue rolleye

Also, in my research into eyeshine, the colour of the eyeshine is often differing between nocturnal species. The most common colours are generally Yellow and Green, much fewer species are Blue.  —————  Generally Red is not ‘eyeshine’, as it isn’t reflected light from the tapetum lucidum layer of tissue, which of course, almost all nocturnal species have. (Humans don’t) (See page 4 of thread) The red reflected light is called Red-Eye which is visually distinguished from eyeshine. It also has a different parameters formula (In terms of the 3d world).

Image Attachments
GreenEyeshine_Render2db.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Eyeshine or Cat’s eyes Tutorial (Daz Studio)
By marcusfinnigon

Introduction:

This tutorial is a combination of various Ideas from various members of the Daz Community. (See Acknowledgements). The objective is to create a pupil, iris and cornea material, texture or shader in DAZ 3D, that reacts to light and reflects it with the angle of lighting and the camera in mind. The Idea Is to simulate ‘Eye-shine’ like many of the nocturnal members of the animal kingdom.

Requirements:
- Daz Studio 4.5 (Pro)
- Uber Surface or HSS (Human Surface Shader)
- Genesis or Generation 4 Characters

Tutorial:

1 – Load figure, create and morph to your heart’s content. Apply desired figure Textures and so on.

2 – In the Surfaces (materials parameters) tab, select the Pupil, Iris and Cornea and apply ‘Uber Surface Base’ shader.

3 – Surface Parameters: (Cornea) Glass like properties.

Diffuse Colour: 255 255 255
Diffuse Active: On
Diffuse Strength: 100%
Diffuse Roughness: 1.00
Opacity Strength 0.0%
Opacity Active: On
Opacity Colour 242 253 255
Refraction Active: On
Index of Refraction: 1.00
Specular Active: On
Specular Colour: 255 255 255
Specular Strength 100%
Glossiness: 75%
Specular Sharpness 85%
Reflection Active: On
Reflection Mode: Raytrace
Reflection Colour: 255 255 255
Reflection Strength 29.0%
Reflection Blur 0%
Reflection Blur Samples: 4
Multiply Reflection through opacity: Off
Accept Shadows: On

4 – Apply desired diffuse, bump, specular textures to the Iris and Pupil. The cornea, I’ve found really shouldn’t have an opacity map… I found it rather impractical with the effects of the Pupil and Iris. And the ‘imitation’ reflection of light usually never matches the scene anyway.

5 – Surface Parameters: (Pupil)
For the sake of this section in the tutorial, I have used a pale-blue coloured eyeshine which can be adjusted in hue and saturation to your desired look and colour. But try to keep the same darkness as the two specular channels are layered and have differing purposes.

Diffuse Colour: (Add desired Material) 255 255 255
Opacity Strength: 100%
Opacity Colour: (No mat) 255 255 255

Specular Colour: (No Mat) 185 227 255
Specular Strength 40%
Glossiness 4%
Specular Sharpness: 0%

Specular2 Active: On
EDIT: Specular2 Colour: (No Material) 188 223 255
Specular2 Strength: 65%
Specular2 Roughness: 22%
Specular2 Sharpness: 0%
Multiply Specular Through Opacity: On

Ambient Active: Off —- (This can be used on a low setting, but should only be used as a last resort, as under the correct lighting conditions and angle of camera the specular lights up the pupil nicely).

Reflection Active: On
Reflection Mode: Environment Map
Environment Map: (No Material) 255 255 255
Reflection Colour: 35 35 35 ((Must be a dark colour, close to black but not totally black. If it is set on a bright colour the pupil will illuminate even without light to reflect) Reason for having reflections on is because even in poor lighting the nocturnal pupil still has a soft reflection of light).
Reflection Strength: 60%
Reflection Blur: 20%
Reflection Blur Samples: 20
Multiply Reflection through opacity: On

Raytrace: On
Occlusion: On
Occlusion Shading rate mode: Global

6 – Surface Parameters: (Iris)
For the sake of this section in the tutorial, I have used a soft-yellow coloured specular which can be adjusted in hue and saturation to your desired look and colour.  (Make sure it’s the applicable colour of your Iris texture and that it blends with the chosen colour of your pupils eyeshine).

This is not required, but it adds a nice reflective blend between the pupil and the iris.

Diffuse Colour: (Add desired Material) 255 255 255
Opacity Strength: 100%
Opacity Colour: (No mat) 255 255 255

Bump Active: On
Bump Strength: (Desired Bump Material) 10%* (Subject to change depending on the material)

Specular Colour: (No Material) 255 255 192
Specular Strength: (Add the iris texture) 20%
Glossiness: 4%
Specular Sharpness: 0%

Special Notes:

This tutorial has been written and posted for the Daz forums. This tutorial is not to be re-posted on any other website. This tutorial was made for use in Daz Studio 4.5 and Pro, and is purely for tutorial learning purposes.

I HAVE NOT LISTED any UN-USED CHANNELS in the Surfaces tab.

Acknowledgements:

Special Thanks to the following Daz Members for their resourceful contributions, support and Idea’s on the methods of achieving the contents of this tutorial.

- DaWaterRat
        - Chohole (Administrator)
        - ‘Son’ of Chohole
        - Slimer_J_Spud
        - Mattymanx
        - Chrisschell
        - Kendall Sears
        - ThinMick
        - Flamewing

Image Attachments
Eyeshine_Basic_Render.jpgEyeshine_Layers_1.jpgEyeshine_Test-8_Light_Angles.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4474
Joined  2004-08-11

AWESOME Tutorial!  Thanks so much!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 30 August 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
RAMWolff - 30 August 2012 08:42 AM

AWESOME Tutorial!  Thanks so much!

Your welcome cheese

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-19

True enough… and no mostly red doesn’t show up in ‘eyeshine’ often… though depending on the angle of the eyes it does show up along with the normal greenish shine.. particularly if the eyes are turned downwards… can also be a green-orange or green-yellow depending again on light conditions and angle (I’ve seen it in my pups eyes at night when we’re watching tv even that slight red or orange-ish tint as he looks away and the angle of view changes)... at any rate was just a suggestion… over all great tut and great job!

For the Riddik effect it’s absolutely spot on in my opinion and very well done smile

Signature 

Schell’s Armour Works… Home of “Theschell’s” Fantasy, Sci-fi and Historical models for Daz and Poser. Come check out my Website and Store at http://www.schells.ca ... Hope to see you soon!

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Thanks Chriss! I have noticed it can vary somewhat in colour under different angles. Lighting obviously dramatically influences it. My cat has conveniently been sitting at my computer desk the last few nights, he probably thinks I’m a nutter since I’ve been staring at his eyes between food and Daz lol But I certainly know what your talking about.

If it were to be done in daz or 3d for that matter the shader would have to be like one of those car surfaces that changes colour in differing angles. Lol, but I’ll leave that for the more skill-full people to expand upon lol. tongue rolleye

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-19

You’re quite welcome… I’m just glad I could add some input that someone may find usefull… you’ve done a good job here… and so has everyone else that contributed… Thank-you smile

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1829
Joined  2006-02-17
marcusfinnigon - 30 August 2012 12:08 PM

Thanks Chriss! I have noticed it can vary somewhat in colour under different angles. Lighting obviously dramatically influences it. My cat has conveniently been sitting at my computer desk the last few nights, he probably thinks I’m a nutter since I’ve been staring at his eyes between food and Daz lol But I certainly know what your talking about.

If it were to be done in daz or 3d for that matter the shader would have to be like one of those car surfaces that changes colour in differing angles. Lol, but I’ll leave that for the more skill-full people to expand upon lol. tongue rolleye

Hmmm…. some ideas pop into mind, but I’ve no time right now to play with it. :-(

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 31 August 2012 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Kendall Sears - 30 August 2012 02:09 PM
marcusfinnigon - 30 August 2012 12:08 PM

Hmmm…. some ideas pop into mind, but I’ve no time right now to play with it. :-(

Kendall

LOL I imagine you would Kendall! Your very intuitional grin

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2012 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
chohole - 27 August 2012 05:29 AM

Yes, I would say so.  I need to set a character up especially to go any further with my Bryce try, as the one I am using doesn’t have enlarged puipils. I tried with a night time lighting setup, and I got a great glow from the pupils, but the Iris didn’t react so well.

Cho, If you’re still working on this, I’d be very much interested in seeing your progress in bryce! Your earlier posted render was very inspiring! cheese

Signature 

6 of 8