Digital Art Zone

4 of 8
Cat-like ’eyeshine’ in Daz 3D - Tutorial Page 6
Posted: 26 August 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  2009-02-26

Thats fine Chohole smile When ever he’s free it’s all good… I have no deadline it’s just a learning experience smile

I love daz and 3D, and it’s fun to conqure all the obsticles and prove that ‘anything that exists in the real world can exist in the 3D world’ A little phillosophy I have lol!

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15987
Joined  2003-10-09

OK I shall pass that on to him, although just at this particular moment in time I do know that he is heavily involved in playin Guild Wars, nothing 3d or studywise at all. but I guess we have to let him have some relaxation. rolleyes

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

LOL! yes well it gets like that sometimes haha! 3D tends to be my relaxation as complicated as it gets lol

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Kendall Sears - 26 August 2012 01:28 PM

Here is the .avi for the EyeShine test with the spotlight traveling across the face.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project.mp4.html

EDIT:  1.2MB

Kendall

I love the depth and how the shadows fall inside the eye! you cant get that with the eye ‘as is’ on genesis. I’ll be toying with that, thank you soo much for your efforts smile I might go into 3ds max and construct an inner eye prop useing the concept of what you’ve done (I’ll do a little research on the anatomy of the eye also), then play with the reflective/materials parameters. Thanks again Kendall smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1860
Joined  2006-02-17
marcusfinnigon - 26 August 2012 02:09 PM
Kendall Sears - 26 August 2012 01:28 PM

Here is the .avi for the EyeShine test with the spotlight traveling across the face.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project.mp4.html

EDIT:  1.2MB

Kendall

I love the depth and how the shadows fall inside the eye! you cant get that with the eye ‘as is’ on genesis. I’ll be toying with that, thank you soo much for your efforts smile I might go into 3ds max and construct an inner eye prop useing the concept of what you’ve done (I’ll do a little research on the anatomy of the eye also), then play with the reflective/materials parameters. Thanks again Kendall smile

That pretty much was default Genesis.  I added a plane primitive (1.5cm) set the surface properties and then translated it into Genesis’ eye.

After that I just got rid of the “painted on” highlights that come with every texture set out there, so that we’d just get the “natural” highlights.

I’ll be posting a couple more mp4’s with other easy to do settings very soon.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 26 August 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

Just uploaded another.  This shows the camera moving, with the light stationary.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project2.mp4.html

EDIT: <1M

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 26 August 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
chohole - 26 August 2012 08:19 AM

I am going to play with it a bit more. The subject got a couple of Brycers interested apart from me. Dave Savage did it this way, looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluS3ItK8d4

Before I go to bed… I thought I should mention I watched this video, and Dave has got it spot on. It seems so simple in bryce lol Kinda wish he elaborated more on the material parameters… unless it really is just that simple.

Can’t wait to see your progress on your project you got going.

Anyhow, Its now sunrise and my prior nightshift is no excuse to not sleep and return to a reasonable sleeping pattern again lol

Talk soon,
Thanks everyone!

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Kendall Sears - 26 August 2012 02:35 PM

Just uploaded another.  This shows the camera moving, with the light stationary.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project2.mp4.html

Kendall

I’ll check that out thankyou Kendall!

I’ll get back to you soon after sleep cheese

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

I’ve just uploaded a mp4 showing a real “redeye” flash as the camera hits the correct angle.  This isn’t physically perfect as I am not going for perfect realism here, only showing the technique.  With just a little adjustment this could be made physically correct.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project3.mp4.html

Size <1M

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Kendall Sears - 26 August 2012 03:50 PM

I’ve just uploaded a mp4 showing a real “redeye” flash as the camera hits the correct angle.  This isn’t physically perfect as I am not going for perfect realism here, only showing the technique.  With just a little adjustment this could be made physically correct.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project3.mp4.html

Size <1M

Kendall

Thanks for this, you’re very helpful smile I’ll be giving this a try, I think with added reflection parameters that cause that sudden ‘glow’ like effect under the particular angle of view and light is the gist of what I’m looking for.

As I mentioned to Chohole the video link she shared: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluS3ItK8d4  made by Dave, appears to be exactly what I’m going for. Largely because the eye of say a cat for example isn’t always illuminated, it’s a natural phenomenon that occurs only under direct lighting and with the correct angle of view… some may say a darkish environment may also be required.

That said though, I love the concept of what you’ve done! Technically speaking, you have added the actual anatomical feature of tapetum lucidum (layer of tissue within the eye that causes the light to reflect back through the retina, causing eye-shine), which is NOT to my knowledge something that is in the ‘as is’ genesis eye. So well done smile

I’ve attached some images of tapetum lucidum, so that everyone knows what I’m talking about. Also the science behind human red eye since you showed interest in that too smile

Cheers smile

Image Attachments
Tapetum_Lucidum-Seen_as_the_blue_tissue.jpgeyeball-eyeshine.pngchris-redeye.pngeyeball-redeye.png
 Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

To get the effect of the video with the technique I’ve laid out, all that is necessary is to increase the Ambient Strength on the plane to >75% and the Specular Strength >75% (of course set the colors to at least the color desired in brightness).

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Thanks very much Kendall, you’re a champ smile

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

There are other games you can play with this, like the “Highlander Series” zoom into the pupil while seeing the memory play.  Attach a scene (or animation) to the plane and zoom on in…  Things can get very interesting.  grin

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

haha! Yeah I better conqure reflections reflections first lol, I’ve found atm that environment reflections illuminate without lights or anything to reflect! and raytrace isn’t reflecting the light other than a white dot! Thinking maybe Bryce is the way to go at this point hmmm

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

But I must remain strong… This thread is for eyeshine in ‘Daz’ cool smile

Signature 

4 of 8