Digital Art Zone

3 of 8
Cat-like ’eyeshine’ in Daz 3D - Tutorial Page 6
Posted: 26 August 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15583
Joined  2003-10-09

had to have a try in Bryce, to see what I could do, this subject got me intrigued.

Image Attachments
keeper_of_dreams_cateyes.png
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 26 August 2012 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4890
Joined  2009-02-26

That’s awesome chohole! I’ve been having trouble actually getting the reflection to actually react to the light   Love the vibrant colour smile what sort of settings do you find work for you if you don’t mind me asking? I posted my parameters but I’m not happy with it yet.  I thought the topic might interest some ppl since I havnt came across it before raspberry

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 26 August 2012 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I am going to play with it a bit more. The subject got a couple of Brycers interested apart from me. Dave Savage did it this way, looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluS3ItK8d4

For my settings I have used a lot of ambience and quite a bit of reflection.  The eye cornea Is a glass setting, 100% transparent quite a bit of reflection and specualrity and also altered the refraction percentage to water but with a tiny tad of colour fed into the glass transparency, which is something I am not certain you can do in DS or poser.

I have the eye map fed into diffuse channel at 100% and then Ambience turned up as well.  I had this particular figre already set up in bryce, so the puil is not made larger, but I played around until I got it to blend with the settings I had on the pupil.

Trouble is Bryce settings are a bit differnet, as all programs deal with textures, mats or shaders, whatever you want to call them, a bit differently.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge

Posted: 26 August 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2006-04-15
chohole - 26 August 2012 08:19 AM

For my settings I have used a lot of ambience and quite a bit of reflection.  The eye cornea Is a glass setting, 100% transparent quite a bit of reflection and specualrity and also altered the refraction percentage to water but with a tiny tad of colour fed into the glass transparency, which is something I am not certain you can do in DS or poser.

I’m pretty sure you can do it with HSS or Ubersurface. I seem to recall there being (in addition to the usual opacity settings) a section for ‘transparency’ that takes colour.

Signature 

“Why’s all the rum gone?”  *looks at the last render*  “Oh. That’s why the rum’s gone…”
DAZ Studio 3.1.2.32 | Windows 7 Pro SP1 x32 | ATI Radeon HD 4200
Say YES to David 5!

Posted: 26 August 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4531
Joined  2004-08-11

Cool thread!  grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 26 August 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
ThinMick - 26 August 2012 08:39 AM
chohole - 26 August 2012 08:19 AM

I’m pretty sure you can do it with HSS or Ubersurface. I seem to recall there being (in addition to the usual opacity settings) a section for ‘transparency’ that takes colour.

Thanks so much chohole! I’ll check out the link and work on the parameters with what you’ve described to me as soon as I knock off from work.  I’m sure there’d be similarities between the softwares.  I will get there and finally be able to share with everyone how to do it lol. Also I’d love to see your progress on your eyes. smile 

@thinmick thanks heaps for the tip I’ll be looking into that smile I’m not sure from memory, but I may have set up the HSS on the character already. I’d have to look at the parameters again. My iPhones being real slow lol

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
RAMWolff - 26 August 2012 10:19 AM

Cool thread!  grin

Thanks ramwolff it’s definitely a learning experience lol and work in progress. Hopefully by the end of it I can make a tutorial smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1844
Joined  2006-02-17

Here’s a quick attempt by me.  Took all of about 5 minutes to set up, and about 30 seconds to render.

Left eye has eyeshine, right has none.  Both corneas are natural reflection.  1 Spotlight to the front right.

I created a retina from a plane primitive, inserted it into the eye, set the ambient, reflective, and specular colors.  Set the pupil to Opacity 0, applied a glass like setting to the cornea for reflection.

Kendall

Image Attachments
eyeshine.jpgeyeshine-front.jpg
 Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 26 August 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Wow that’s clever Kendall ! I can only see low res as I’m at work on my mobile but from what I can see it creates shadow and the light hits it quite nicely   That may mean it may not require the painted ambiance map I used earlier. How does both eyes go when there’s the angled light in your first render? Thanks for your help smile I so wish I was at my puta right now… So many great ideas to try smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
marcusfinnigon - 26 August 2012 11:35 AM

Wow that’s clever Kendall ! I can only see low res as I’m at work on my mobile but from what I can see it creates shadow and the light hits it quite nicely   That may mean it may not require the painted ambiance map I used earlier. How does both eyes go when there’s the angled light in your first render? Thanks for your help smile I so wish I was at my puta right now… So many great ideas to try smile

I’m in the process of rendering an avi of the spotlight traveling from one side to the other so that you can see the effect of the technique.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 26 August 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

YOU ARE AWESOME lol I’m excited hehe smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

BTW my son says a good texture and then play with uber surface, which I think was a suggestion you already had.

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

Here is the .avi for the EyeShine test with the spotlight traveling across the face.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project.mp4.html

EDIT:  1.2MB

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
chohole - 26 August 2012 01:13 PM

BTW my son says a good texture and then play with uber surface, which I think was a suggestion you already had.

Yeah, I was suggested a reflection map (Trialled first in this thread) And I was suggested an ambient map which I progressed towards, the ambient map that I posted of the Painted eyeshine on M5 eye texture was effective, likewise both proved artificial, but of course they definitely had their benefits! smile  I’m not sure what texture you refer to?

Additionally, I seem to have an issue with the reflection itself… It seems that even without light the reflective surface is illuminating ??? Odd. There is only one light with shadows on, completely aimed at the side of the head, definitely not hitting the furthest eye, no ambient map and ambient is off. This is doing my head in lol!

Image Attachments
Eyeshine_Test-7a3.jpgEyeshine_Test-7a4.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Unfortunately Neils is a bit tied up with other things at the mo (He is a mature student at Uni, and also a PA , with the PA sale coming up very soon) other wise I would challenge him to show you what he means.

Signature 

3 of 8