Digital Art Zone

5 of 13
House of Secrets - Poser & DS
Posted: 07 September 2012 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  368
Joined  2007-08-19

Hi.  It will be a replacement in the sense that I have no intention to re-release the first.

As far as the current effort goes, despite lots of work I could not really enjoy the entrance hall, so I scrapped it and tried again.  This time I placed the staircase next to the party wall and immediately things looked better - the hall appeared to be bigger and scrappy spaces behind coalesced into one.  See my first pic.  Of course, a stairwell requires that at least four walls be carried up another storey, and the result of experiment is shown but not finalised.  As always, the problem is, where do we stop?  A decision will be made later.

The next pic shows the surveillance centre in the NW corner.  You can see the one-way mirror doing its job in the party wall, acting like a window into the Bridal Suite.  At the front edge will be a pair of doors forming an entry lock into this space - the first will be marked Private and the second marked No Admittance.  You’ll need Jason Bourne to get in here.

Prominent is the bank of surveillance monitors against the wall.  I have tried to make them glow no matter what the condition of other lighting and to this end have placed a permanent spotlight.  See the third pic.  I do not find the result entirely satisfactory and if anyone has ideas of how this can be improved, I would be glad to hear from you.

Image Attachments
Entrance_Hall.jpgSecurity_General.jpgSecurity_Shadows.jpg
 Signature 

The perennial problem with democracies is that of choosing leaders.  It’s like picking teachers of sex education in schools - those who would be good at it don’t want to do it, while those who are keen would best be behind iron bars.

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2007-08-24

This looks great!  Can’t wait to see it. smile

Posted: 07 September 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19

An arms cupboard, ceiling and two operable doors complete the surveillance centre.

Keeping score?  We now have 19 user-adjustables, not counting those that (like the cash) may simply be removed.  cheese

Image Attachments
Control.jpg
 Signature 

The perennial problem with democracies is that of choosing leaders.  It’s like picking teachers of sex education in schools - those who would be good at it don’t want to do it, while those who are keen would best be behind iron bars.

Posted: 08 September 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  969
Joined  2005-03-26

For a Permanent Glow to your screens, why not lose the light and a) turn them into surface light-emitters (UberLight in DazStudio) or b) just turn the Ambient to white at +200% or so (should work anywhere, but nobody can read “Black Mask” by monitor-glow that way….)

Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 08 September 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19

Thanks Eustace.  I’ll give it a go.

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1242
Joined  2004-08-24

This is looking great smile

Signature 

Cheers,
Alisa

Post Count - just add 6775 to what it says here smile
Coordinator & updater for KCTC Freebies *Remembering France*

Posted: 09 September 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19

Thanks Alisa. 

This morning I completed the hallway.  The portrait of the Queen slides up to uncover a peephole, while the Private door opens to reveal the No Admission door.  The Alibaba jar can be moved if desired, but the main purpose is to provide a hiding place - for weapons, jewels, a snake perhaps, or even a small crook.

Image Attachments
Hall.jpgHall2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2012 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2356
Joined  2007-12-07

Good work as ever ... that deserves a small whisky ... smile

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 10 September 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19

Or two - or three.

Opening bedroom doors in place…..

Image Attachments
Bedroom_Doors.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19

A good book in an easy chair by the fire - what could be more tempting on a winter’s night?

But the chair tips for the unwary, dropping them into the cellar.  Broo-ha-ha!

Image Attachments
Easy_Chair_Normal.jpgEasy_Chair_Open.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2007-08-20

Looking good Skipper.
Now I need to go reread your original thread to see how you got the doors to open on the original model.
I’m building a film set for a TV show to use as a backdrop in this months freebie challenge.
If I’m gonna build it, I might as well do it right. And then release it as a prop on Sharecg.
I remember you had a problem getting the doors to work in both poser and DS.
Making the set wasn’t hard, it’s making all the crap & nick-nac that’s hanging on the walls & sitting on the furniture is whats taking up the time.

BTW…
If you ever redo Coronation st. Here’s a pair of photos off a BBC web page of a train wreck in the roof of the pub. The car is laying on the building.  Just a thought. 
Anyways… I’ll let you get back to work.
Gerry

Image Attachments
corrie-tram-crash2.jpgcorrie-tram-crash.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt page

My freebies on ShareCG

Posted: 10 September 2012 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19

Love the photos.  These soap writers really go to town, don’t they?  I shall reissue my Coronation Street one day soon, but am not sure when.

As with everything else, once one has the knack of making movables, it is really easy.  The answer lies not with Poser or DS, but with Hexagon, where I create most of my models anyway.  Create your prop model any way that you like, but keep the hinge line in mind.  As a last move before you export it, move it in its entirety to the cross hairs in Hexagon.  These are the lines highlighted in white on the ground plane and are the world centre of 0,0,0.  >>> Anything that is rotated does so about this point.<<<  If you want a door to open for example, move it so that the hinge line is exactly upwards from this point.  Similarly, if you want a trap to open, move the model so that the appropriate horizontal edge passes through 0.0.0.    When happy, export it.  I export in .obj mode, but use any as appropriate.

Now go into Poser or DS and import your model.  It will appear at the 0,0,0 of your main scene or model, but no matter - it carries its own rotation point with it.  To clarify, the 0.0.0. of the imported object applies to it only - the 0.0.0 of the main scene is entirely different.  Move the import through XYZ to where you want it and try the appropriate rotation.  Et voila!  You can even include an extra rotation, as for example rotating through Y, if that is needed.  No matter what you do, the imported model retains its own private rotation line.  (This principle is used in my Library Globe, for example.)  Hope this helps.  Come back if you need more.

Good luck with your animation.

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19

The last of this group of props is the holding cell behind the fireplace.  The door opens of course.  I gave some thought to including a cot and/or a slop bucket in here, but it’s getting a bit crowded.

Tomorrow I turn my attention to the south wall.

Image Attachments
Cell.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2012 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2003-10-09

Just wonderful work.  I’ll keep following to see how it all comes out.

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19

Thank you, Cedarwolf.  I hope that when it is released, we may see a render from you.

The front (south) wall has now been completed together with a balcony for elopements or for throwing people off;  for access, a pair of glazed doors are placed in French windows.  The small window on the far left is for light into the hall and comprises two sashes which may be raised and lowered, sliding past each other. The ladder is for general convenience.  There being no restrictions on movement, users are free to place it anywhere they choose.  Oh - and yes, Romeo could clamber up the ivy.

My second pic shows the view from inside.  The doors open of course - and we have already seen the tipping easy chair - but we also have a pair of red velvet curtains which may be drawn back or forwards, to meet in the centre.

The third pic shows a window for the cell previously made, providing light and air.  Iron bars prevent access.  (Well, you didn’t expect to spring your prisoner that easily, did you?)  I have put this out of sight round the corner, so we may assume that it is out of earshot too.  Please note that I have revamped the outside walls so as to take advantage of the tiling method and effect an enormous saving in the memory taken up by graphics.  It would be wise to acquaint yourself with tiling if you intend to use this model.

The last constructional task awaiting me is a plaster decorated ceiling over the bedroom and a final surprise or two.

Image Attachments
South_Wall.jpgCurtains.jpgCell_Window.jpg
 Signature 

5 of 13