Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Ballpoint Pen Guy-Is this guy for real?
Posted: 23 August 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2011-09-12

I’m not a Deviant Art member as many of you are, but I read a little while ago about an artist who draws everything with a ballpoint pen, and if this guy is to be believed, these photo-realistic images come from just that, he and his pens.

He’s got a gallery there:

http://vianaarts.deviantart.com/

All I got to say is DAMN!!! I still don’t know if I believe it!

Posted: 23 August 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5453
Joined  2006-08-27

Since I don’t know the guy, my intrinsic faith in human beings says he’s legit unless otherwise shown to the contrary. Then again, he’s also a lawyer. wink

Assuming they’re real, which I will, since I have nothing to lose doing so, they’re pretty incredible and the guy’s either a genius or a savant. If I was buying the art based on being works produced exclusively with bic ballpoint pens, I would require proof.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 23 August 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16006
Joined  2003-10-09

How many colours can you get ball point pens in ?

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 23 August 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7973
Joined  2009-05-14

according to this article http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/amazingly-this-is-a-drawing-made-with-ballpoint-pens-not-a-photograph/story-fnbzs1v0-1226456728631 six colours plus black making it seven cho. smile

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 23 August 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

So how does he do the white parts ? or is he working on white paper.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge

Posted: 23 August 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4771
Joined  2004-07-01

I see him do it - then I believe

Posted: 23 August 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
chohole - 23 August 2012 03:37 PM

So how does he do the white parts ? or is he working on white paper.

No idea…blank magic I guess. raspberry

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 23 August 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

It is very clever, I can’t deny that, but I used to do fabric painting with pen type things, and could do nice tigers and things with them, but I had loads of colours. I drew my ginger tom on a cushion cover, came out really well. The cat claimed it for his special cushion.

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I agree great art nevertheless.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 23 August 2012 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

I had a friend in Commercial Art her name was Terry Clark or Clay not 100% any more, it was over twenty fives years ago. She worked in Pen and Ink mostly used a Knorr Rapidieograph , they have/had a ink well and different nibs/tips. Her work with just black ink on white paper was so lifelike, photoreal, she had to PROVE to our teacher, Charles Lamberth, that she did the art. She proved it by doing one of him in her free time in class.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 23 August 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2960
Joined  2004-10-25

Well so, blank ink on white (or off white) paper, yes I can definitely believe that as I’ve seen it.  All those colors?  I’m not sore sure UNLESS he draws black ink on white paper and then paints it the colors?  As Pete said, very talented no matter how he accomplished it.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 23 August 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Miss B - 23 August 2012 07:20 PM

Well so, blank ink on white (or off white) paper, yes I can definitely believe that as I’ve seen it.  All those colors?  I’m not sore sure UNLESS he draws black ink on white paper and then paints it the colors?  As Pete said, very talented no matter how he accomplished it.

Take a blue pen and draw a line on ART paper, the kind for water colors. Now take a red pen and draw OVER that red line. BOOM purple. The Paper lets the colors BLEED or Blend until the ink dries. I worked in water colors and inks as my main medium, I know it works.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 23 August 2012 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7671
Joined  2009-07-13

since he IS a lawyer, one would tend to believe him but a short accompanying YouTube video link of him on his page drawing something even using timelapse certainly would help sell his work!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 23 August 2012 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Okay, I’m a little Vocal on this one. Let me explain why. I was told MANY times that I DID NOT draw this and that I DID NOT Paint that. I did SELL as an artist folks, two commercial signs both of which lasted about twenty years until the business went under, one very small black on white Ink that sold for way more than I thought possible and one commisioned water color. That was all done here in my little part of the world that is not an ART mecha at all.

I’m saying give the guy the benifit of the doubt. Sure have your doubt’s but I was doubted also. I still did what I did.

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2012 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4771
Joined  2004-07-01
Jaderail - 23 August 2012 10:51 PM

Okay, I’m a little Vocal on this one. Let me explain why. I was told MANY times that I DID NOT draw this and that I DID NOT Paint that. I did SELL as an artist folks, two commercial signs both of which lasted about twenty years until the business went under, one very small black on white Ink that sold for way more than I thought possible and one commisioned water color. That was all done here in my little part of the world that is not an ART mecha at all.

I’m saying give the guy the benifit of the doubt. Sure have your doubt’s but I was doubted also. I still did what I did.

I did stuff 50 years ago so what - I see him do - I believe
but who cares .

Posted: 24 August 2012 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I actually found a site where someone was giving a mini tut on drawing with ballpoint pens, and as he explains it is all to do with the pressure one uses and the angle the pen is used at. Of course I can’t find the page again. I clear browsing history everynight automatically

I am convinced that the guy is genuine,

Signature 

1 of 2