Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
GoZ in Poser2012 -  review
Posted: 24 August 2012 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1693
Joined  2003-10-09

They should add also the option to update the mesh at import or create only morph , using GoZ for many months this option is very handy especially when you decide to change the UV’s , for now you can do it manually anyway .
The way I show in the video how to import manually the hair that would fit the figure is the way I am doing clothing and stuff and as you said after importing manually the new prop that match your scales you can use GoZ to rework the details by import export , however stuff like fiber would be no more editable this way and fresh copy need to be loaded manually again if there are some issues you don’t like , anyway it is a great improvement for people that create mostly morphs and deformations at this moment .
I was for plan to finish this way Genesis shapes for use with Gen4 what would bring some fresh air to them together with new UV’s so some products can be used on gen that was made for genesis , like character textures etc.. (no morphs) as Zbrush allow me to transfer any shape to any model on my choice that would be much fun .

Signature 

Just Released :DRAGONESIA & DRAGON RIDER
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 24 August 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2003-10-09
Mec4D - 24 August 2012 05:28 AM

... however stuff like fiber would be no more editable this way and fresh copy need to be loaded manually again if there are some issues you don’t like…

The best way to do this is to keep a copy of the tool as a ZTL (ZB’s native Ztool format.)  One of the limitations for GoZ (on most platforms) is that reduces the Ztool to just a mesh (at least that’a been my experience with Photoshop, Maya and Modo.)  The steps I’ve outlined above, (attach the fibemesh to a clone, export as obj, import as obj into Poser) can be repeated as needed to make adjustments.

The next time I see the Pixologic guys, I’ll mention the idea of somehow llinking the subtool to the exported mesh through GoZ so that when you go back through GoZ from Poser or Modo (other GoZ app) it can picked up a linked ZTL format like an unfrozen fibermesh or a prim.)  GoZ was largely envisioned to support Polymeshs in ZB.  Fibers, prims, and dynamesh’s are something a special case (though dynamesh’s have a consistent polymesh form to be exported.)  The capability may already be there in GoZ somewhere and the programmer at SM just needs to add the code on the Poser side.

Cheers!
-K

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2003-10-09
Mec4D - 23 August 2012 05:28 PM

... they will not bother to write manual on half done plugin as they know it does not works the way it suppose to work….

The GoZ plugin is indeed documented: Poser Reference Manual (July 31st, 2012 rev), pages 713-23.  It’s in Chapter 32: Using Poser with Other Applications.  I think it pretty clearly details the morphing and maps cases, which from all reliable reports was their intent for the GoZ plugin.  This manual should have been installed when you updated to SR3.

I’m not aware that Smith Micro has advertised that it would import new geometry perfectly from Zbrush (I can’t find this in the documentation.)  I’m pretty sure the plugin works for the key use cases offered in the documentation:
  1. creating morphs,
  2. morphing multiple items,
  3. creating JCMs, 
  4. creating texture maps,
  5. creating normal and displacement maps

I’m not sure that qualifies as “half done” as these were pretty high on the Zbrush-Poser communities list of things to do with ZB and Poser together.

Personally, I’d like the see the next version simplify handling multiple overlapping UV maps more gracefully (All the hiding & showing and group-splitting is annoying—I create paint dummys with just groups for the UV islands rather than use GoZ because of this weakness.)

-K

Posted: 24 August 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1693
Joined  2003-10-09

My Opinion is personal , maybe it is great for others that don;t know other way, but not for me
I use GoZ plugins to export stuff for previews before final export as I always make extra copy just in case and not just ztl files
I do never works on just group morphs but on full figure as it works better for me , and I do a lot of original stuff for my customers so not editing other people stuff as much , I would love to have full functional bridge to avoid export import for testing .

But one good thing here is that by exporting full figure with the GoZ , Zbrush keep the actual data of the scene propotions what is more as I needed , how many Victorias I need to export to Zbrush , no more as 1 , but a ton of stuff I need to import back ..and most of them are original creation so I hope you understand my point of you , if you get use to good stuff it is hard to take just half bite and skip the rest for later ..  it just can’t do for me more as I do already for years , but it could make the workflow faster as well .

And trust me on that, the intent was not just only on that .. and will not end on that , that is the reason I entered the game again ..

Kerwin - 24 August 2012 10:19 AM
Mec4D - 23 August 2012 05:28 PM

... they will not bother to write manual on half done plugin as they know it does not works the way it suppose to work….

The GoZ plugin is indeed documented: Poser Reference Manual (July 31st, 2012 rev), pages 713-23.  It’s in Chapter 32: Using Poser with Other Applications.  I think it pretty clearly details the morphing and maps cases, which from all reliable reports was their intent for the GoZ plugin.  This manual should have been installed when you updated to SR3.

I’m not aware that Smith Micro has advertised that it would import new geometry perfectly from Zbrush (I can’t find this in the documentation.)  I’m pretty sure the plugin works for the key use cases offered in the documentation:
  1. creating morphs,
  2. morphing multiple items,
  3. creating JCMs, 
  4. creating texture maps,
  5. creating normal and displacement maps

I’m not sure that qualifies as “half done” as these were pretty high on the Zbrush-Poser communities list of things to do with ZB and Poser together.

Personally, I’d like the see the next version simplify handling multiple overlapping UV maps more gracefully (All the hiding & showing and group-splitting is annoying—I create paint dummys with just groups for the UV islands rather than use GoZ because of this weakness.)

-K

Signature 

Just Released :DRAGONESIA & DRAGON RIDER
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

2 of 2