Digital Art Zone

5 of 10
Free Software that Makes Life Easier
Posted: 13 March 2013 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-08-25

I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but Evernote is incredibly useful for 3D and just about everything else.  I keep finding new ways to use it - I think it might be the “killer app” for Internet/mobile.

Although I use it for a lot of things, I first started using it when I got into CG to try to manage the overwhelming amount of information and tips I found on various 3D programs.  Now, when I find an interesting thread on a forum or a blog, instead of bookmarking it, I use the web clipper to add it to Evernote.  I have a separate notebook for all my CG reference stuff.  I’m a software engineer, so I use it the same way for tech-related reference stuff, which is even more overwhelming than all the CG info out there.

Some other ways I use it:

- as a to-do list.  I struggled with this for a long time, and even read a couple of books on implementing GTD.  I ended up using the instructions at The Secret Weapon (Google it) and that has worked for me

-whenever I get an idea for anything, I jot it down in Evernote.  They have clients for every platform, so I can do this whether I’m on my Mac, or my phone.

- I buy a LOT of ebooks, usually from Amazon, but sometimes from publishers directly (especially for tech books).  For reading, I still prefer to use the Kindle app on my laptop or phone (oddly enough, I rarely use my actual Kindle).  But in addition, I always upload a PDF version to evernote.  That way, when I’m searching for something specific, the results will include any references in books I have as well as my other notes (such as web clippings).

- speaking of search, if you use Chrome, the Evernote plugin will let you include searches of your notebooks in search results.  Whenever I Google something, I get a section on the side of the page that shows my notes that match the search.  Pretty cool stuff.  I also use an app that integrates Evernote with Spotlight on my Mac, but I can’t remember the name of it right now.

- there’s another free program called Skitch that lets you do free hand drawings and upload them as notes.  On my phone, there’s not much room to draw with my finger, so it’s only good for little doodles.  But I could see how with a tablet, this would be a great way to sketch out ideas when they come to you.

Posted: 13 March 2013 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2042
Joined  2008-01-28

thanks Evernote looks great, can’t wait to try that out !

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 13 March 2013 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2008-01-01

Thanks for that tip - looks like just what I need to keep track:)

Posted: 13 March 2013 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-05-14

Evernote is great - every time I buy from DAZ (or anywhere, and even freebies), I screen capture the item, then tag it with “Hair” “V4” “A4” or “Vehicles” “SciFi”, depending on what it is. I’ve been doing it since 2008. I have a separate notebook for DAZ stuff, away from everything else. When I want something, I just do a search, and I can scroll through the pictures of what comes up. It’s even managed to transfer from Windows to the Mac a couple of years ago. Not too much software did that.

Posted: 13 March 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

wow. ok, researching it now…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 17 March 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6155
Joined  2007-12-04

Project Dogwaffle 1.2 Freeware
And I’ve made some Project Dogwaffle Video Tutorial Playlists

In some of those tutorials, Philip uses Anim8or, a fine, free modeling/animation software for making brushes and animated brushes for use in Dogwaffle. Really cool stuff. Anim8or is a great software in its own right, too.
And This Page contains a pile of links to tutorials for Anim8or as well as a link to the main site where you can download it for free, with no strings attached!
It is a freeware vertex modelling program with some really great features!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 17 March 2013 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

thanks Dart

lot of us cut our teeth on anim8or.
has a few things that carrara could do with - mainly a cutting tool - very handy for slicing through a polygon and creating anew edge and corresponding verticies. Makes box modelling and edge looping much eassier - sigh - given up that car will ever get a knife tool…

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2013 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

Meshlab = for cleaning up a mesh and also “decimating”

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

much better polygon reduction tool than carrara

and once the mesh is cleaned up you might be able to take it into sculptris to use the polygon reduction paint brush
for more selectiove poly reduction

(reason: sculptris is very touchy at what meshes you can import)

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

plus other stuff as well wink

thanks to Roygee for putting me onto meshlab

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2013 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  353
Joined  2006-02-03

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I’ll post this from the Xara Website:

Xara Xtreme is the perfect graphics tool for all your drawing, photo and design needs.  Whether you want to create illustrations, edit your photos, layout a brochure or create some web graphics, Xara Xtreme’s fast and easy to use design tools make it a pleasure to be creative.

Now you can get Xara Xtreme 5 for FREE! Yes, it’s true, completely free, no charge whatsover! This is the full download version of Xara Xtreme 5, as previously sold for $89!

You can read a bit more about what was new in v1 - v5, but why not just download it now for free and give it a try!

The offer will only last until 29th April 2013, so don’t hesitate!

http://www.xara.com/us/specialoffers/designer/

Posted: 17 March 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6155
Joined  2007-12-04

Wow, Thanks for that, and all of this stuff. What a great shopping mall this has become… but so so much bestester!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 17 March 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
Design Acrobat - 17 March 2013 08:46 PM

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I’ll post this from the Xara Website:

Xara Xtreme is the perfect graphics tool for all your drawing, photo and design needs.  Whether you want to create illustrations, edit your photos, layout a brochure or create some web graphics, Xara Xtreme’s fast and easy to use design tools make it a pleasure to be creative.

Now you can get Xara Xtreme 5 for FREE! Yes, it’s true, completely free, no charge whatsover! This is the full download version of Xara Xtreme 5, as previously sold for $89!

You can read a bit more about what was new in v1 - v5, but why not just download it now for free and give it a try!

The offer will only last until 29th April 2013, so don’t hesitate!

http://www.xara.com/us/specialoffers/designer/

thanks for that to, I think 3dage swears by this? you can use it for exporting ai files I think that actually load into the Carrara spline room?

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2013 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2008-01-01

Thanks for that heads-up:)  3dage sings the praises of Xara, so I just had to grab it.

Head wax and I both started out in Anim8or - very simple and easy to use, with some surprisingly advanced features.  It has the same workroom type of layout as Carrara.  When I put in a feature request to update Carrara’s rigging system, I pointed the devs to Anim8or to see what a rigging and weight-painting system should look like.

Can’t figure out why development seemed to stop a few years ago - this app is a one-man hobby and has huge potential.

Posted: 18 March 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1138
Joined  2010-11-30

Gimpel3D lets you convert 2D images and 2D video to 3D stereographic ones.

http://www.gimpel3d.com/

Posted: 19 March 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2010-03-06

Has anyone mentioned these yet? I’m not sure so I’ll post it anyway:

http://www.123dapp.com/

^ Free Autodesk modelling apps wink

(At least they were free the last time I checked… I’m pretty sure nothing has changed though, lol.)

Posted: 19 March 2013 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  551
Joined  2005-09-12
txmikester - 13 March 2013 01:11 AM

I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but Evernote is incredibly useful for 3D and just about everything else.  I keep finding new ways to use it - I think it might be the “killer app” for Internet/mobile.

Although I use it for a lot of things, I first started using it when I got into CG to try to manage the overwhelming amount of information and tips I found on various 3D programs.  Now, when I find an interesting thread on a forum or a blog, instead of bookmarking it, I use the web clipper to add it to Evernote.  I have a separate notebook for all my CG reference stuff.  I’m a software engineer, so I use it the same way for tech-related reference stuff, which is even more overwhelming than all the CG info out there.

Maybe I’m missing something here - but I don’t see any way to use Evernote on a system with no internet connection. The first thing it wants to do is set up an account, and, like good luck with that!

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

5 of 10