Digital Art Zone

Automatic Content Organizer needed, like the one for Poser by Smiedu
Posted: 21 August 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  523
Joined  2009-11-22

Hi.
The D4 contend becomes very unweildly after a while.
It would be a great help if someone with the knowledge made a content organized.
I am thinking it could be modeled on the functions of the one made by Smideu at RDNA…. I think I have his name wrong,
but you get the idea.
Thanks.
R

Posted: 21 August 2012 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15289
Joined  2003-10-09

You can use Categories to organise your content any way you like.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 21 August 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  523
Joined  2009-11-22

Hello again, Richard.
Yes, I do that. Still when I load a lot of stuff it can get lost in the crowd, and then harder to find for using Categories.

Posted: 21 August 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6947
Joined  2005-08-15

There is also a search funtion at the top of the Content Library pane which is excellent IMO.

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4597
Joined  2011-11-25
Bendinggrass - 21 August 2012 12:05 PM

Hi.
The D4 contend becomes very unweildly after a while.
It would be a great help if someone with the knowledge made a content organized.
I am thinking it could be modeled on the functions of the one made by Smideu at RDNA…. I think I have his name wrong,
but you get the idea.
Thanks.
R

I’d love this! I’d really love the ability to categorize during the install process. Making something ‘hair’ for instance, would save me having to hunt out the pose file or wherever it is installed to categorize later. I’ve now taken to saving the readme’s so I can locate the file in my runtime, because I can spend quite a long time trying to locate content which is no fun.

I don’t find the search feature terribly helpful.

S

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6947
Joined  2005-08-15

Typing in ‘Hair’ at the top of the Content Library tab shows all hair in your listed runtimes.  It is even more useful now that many of them are marked ‘Material’ or ‘Pose’ which is what you are asking for.

Posted: 22 August 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2827
Joined  2007-12-25

You can also expand the search box to see checkboxes that let you restrict the type of content you want to search.

Metadata was also supposed to help, by linking content with matching assets and by pre-categorizing content, but one big problem there is that standards were never established about how to categorize the content. Even though I’d probably want to tweak any system that might have come out, it would still be helpful to have the content categorized on install in a consistent way.

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 22 August 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4597
Joined  2011-11-25
JimmyC_2009 - 22 August 2012 10:55 AM

Typing in ‘Hair’ at the top of the Content Library tab shows all hair in your listed runtimes.  It is even more useful now that many of them are marked ‘Material’ or ‘Pose’ which is what you are asking for.

It only shows about 1/4 of the hair I have installed. For instance, it will show the materials for some items not the actual hair.

When I search for just hair, it also finds chair poses for some reason, and Jaime’s eyes, several face textures etc.

To me it is kind of useless.

None of the stuff in say… Genesis Starter Edition shows up in the ‘hair’ search even though several hairs came with that installer.

Posted: 22 August 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

I use root categories and keep my content library “clean” of new items (right click a blue category and select Mark All Content as Seen). Then after installing a new product (make sure Show Items as New is checked) I can see exactly where it was installed to (the blue categories). Then I move it all out into my root categories and Mark All Content as Seen again, ready for the next install.

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 22 August 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9327
Joined  2007-11-06

I always install in small batches and categorize immediately, even before importing metadata, so I know my categories are complete (my custom categories are all outside of the default categories, so everything with metadata gets categorized both ways).  In fact, I categorize in DS3 first, and then migrate to DS4, although of course DS3 doesn’t see .dsf/.duf files.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products