Digital Art Zone

2 of 9
is this a forum or a place where we all say goodbye? i’ve read the last 5 posts only things about…
Posted: 20 August 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-02-17
SLoTH_XVX - 20 August 2012 04:12 PM

..... why are people compelled to create a thread that they are leaving?

I don’t mean to sound cold or mean but why not just leave quietly? Why must people always make a spectical of leaving?

In the last announcement thread before Daz responded, I had a chance to be the first to respond to the OP.  I was just going to post “Bye” LOL.  But that would have sounded cold or mean, and prodded the OP to come back to respond.

Signature 

Daz Gallery

Posted: 21 August 2012 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  307
Joined  2005-08-25
KickAir 8P - 20 August 2012 12:53 PM
fixme12 - 20 August 2012 12:45 PM

. . . What if daz can launch us “Sssoon” a software program that we never have seen before . . .

::tttwitch!::

Then they’ll come back — well, some of them.  Maybe even most of them.  As for no-Genesis-in Poser being the cause, there was a hint of better-than-the-current-“solution” things to come in a recent post (dang it, where’s that link!) . . .

BTW, congrats on your first little green box!

LOL THX

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(666 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 21 August 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2005-09-19

What perplexes me is people have been saying they’re leaving pretty much since Genesis was announced, but if anyone elsewhere creates a new figure that’s incompatible with Studio, then there’s a flurry of praise for their innovation. I can’t help thinking DAZ have to work twice as hard to get half the praise.

Posted: 21 August 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4946
Joined  2009-02-26

The wonderful world of DAZ is only just beginning. Personally I love Genesis! I’d be totally lost without DAZ… there’s no way I’d leave!! smile As far as the people who do leave for something so trivial, I’m sure they’ll be back the moment when DAZ and Poser releases solutions to the Genesis/Poser compatibility issue. Then we’ll all be a happy family again smile

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 21 August 2012 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2005-08-20

With that being said why are people compelled to create a thread that they are leaving?

I don’t mean to sound cold or mean but why not just leave quietly? Why must people always make a spectical of leaving?

question

Because they want the rest of us to get down on our creaking knees and beg them to stay.

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 21 August 2012 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1787
Joined  2005-06-08
cridgit - 20 August 2012 05:05 PM

With that being said why are people compelled to create a thread that they are leaving?  I don’t mean to sound cold or mean but why not just leave quietly? Why must people always make a spectical of leaving?

Because people are feeling hurt/upset/abandoned/... and wish to share their feelings. Companies should value customer feedback in any form. There are clearly many people within the former DAZ community who are not happy and wish DAZ to know about it and perhaps also find others who feel the same way.

I find it quite acceptable that people announce why they love DAZ and for others to say why they’re leaving.

Yep.  Not that I’m going to completely discount the beg-me-to-stay motivation, but this isn’t a fandom — these people are taking their money with them when they go.  And maybe they’re a few isolated complainers and all the not-motivated-to-post lurkers are staying, or maybe these posts are the tip of an iceberg the subsurface bulk of which is made up of the customers who are leaving quietly.

Ebahr - 20 August 2012 05:40 PM

Leaving threads don’t worry me much. If Daz wasn’t killed off by the forum/PC/store errors that recently passed, then it’s a pretty good sign it’s going to be around for a long haul from here. Pretty much, the worst is over…

I hope so, I really do.  But if the ravening beast-pack of issues that’s savaged DAZ is gone now, that doesn’t mean DAZ won’t bleed to death if the wounds aren’t treated.  A solidly usable Genesis-in-Poser solution would go a long way towards that, and the store’n'forums being almost back up to snuff helps too.

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 21 August 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2003-10-13
JasmineSkunk - 20 August 2012 04:38 PM
EClark1849 - 20 August 2012 04:32 PM

I didn’t leave DAZ. DAZ left me.grin

You know, it’s just weird seeing myself listed as a “New Member” when I’ve been around since Poser 2.

wink Check this out:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/6089/

Yeah, I read that thread. The news sounds great IF Poser is the only app I need to use Genesis. I’m a Poser-only user for two main reasons; 1) I started on Poser and don’t really want to learn DS.
            2) DS won’t run on my computer, regardless of whether I can Genesis into Poser or not.

So when I say “I didn’t leave DAZ, DAZ left me”, I wasn’t just speaking figuratively.

Posted: 21 August 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2003-10-13
DWG - 21 August 2012 05:01 AM

What perplexes me is people have been saying they’re leaving pretty much since Genesis was announced, but if anyone elsewhere creates a new figure that’s incompatible with Studio, then there’s a flurry of praise for their innovation. I can’t help thinking DAZ have to work twice as hard to get half the praise.

Well, in all fairness, people have virtually stopped using Poser altogether because of one figure (or platform, or whatever the heck Genesis is). And as far as I know, it was DAZ’s choice not to adopt some of the new rigging techniques developed by Poser. How come no one’s demanding that DAZ include those new techniques in Studio so you can use the new figures you say won’t work? Quid Pro Quo.

Posted: 21 August 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  845
Joined  2008-11-01

Well, in true Daz-tease fashion…lol… we are only being told that something “heavenly” is happening for Poser users. We don’t know if it’s really for Genesis (but I’m guessing it is) or if it’s a whole solution, a partial one, or something else alltogether… all we know is:

The Daz Team has some news they are excited to share but can’t just yet…

That sounds really exciting to me! smile

I can’t wait to hear the final on the GOOD NEWS!

Posted: 21 August 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-12-14
EClark1849 - 21 August 2012 10:31 AM

Well, in all fairness, people have virtually stopped using Poser altogether because of one figure (or platform, or whatever the heck Genesis is). And as far as I know, it was DAZ’s choice not to adopt some of the new rigging techniques developed by Poser. How come no one’s demanding that DAZ include those new techniques in Studio so you can use the new figures you say won’t work? Quid Pro Quo.

Some people have dropped Poser, some people have dropped DS and some folks use both.  There is an entire spectrum.  And people have asked for Face Room Support or the capsule rigging support.  DAZ has chosen not to support features in Poser 5 or later.  I don’t know all of the particulars, since I joined here at the end of the Poser 5 era, but from what I have read and remember (and I certainly could be wrong), there was some bad blood over the price of the Poser SDK.  It is all water under the bridge now.

I am like a lot of other Poser users - if genesis doesn’t work in Poser without jumping through a lot of hoops, I am not buying genesis products.  I am not mad about it, it is what it is.  I stopped spending money here for the same reason I stopped shopping at a local grocery store - they stopped carrying Vanilla Coke (In marketing terms, I am brand insistent for my coke products ).  I talked to the manager about it & he told me that he didn’t sell enough to keep it on the shelves - I told him I was sorry to hear that & that I and my money wouldn’t be back.  Free market at work.

In my case, the $100 a month i budgeted to spend at DAZ, for the most part is now down to $25 a month, if that - DAZ still has great artists making great props and sets, but the characters and clothing aren’t of any use to me, so my spending habits have adjusted accordingly.  I certainly won’t be renewing my PC membership - the new voucher system is geared for DAZ originals, which for the most part are genesis products, which again, forces people to reevaluate their spending habits here.

A lot of the “I’m leaving” posts are attempts to get DAZ’s attention - for the most part, they thought they had a personal relationship with DAZ as opposed to a business relationship.  Because of this, there are a lot of hurt feelings - nothing a 75% off sale couldn’t fix, but DAZ will have to do something to woo Poser users back into the fold.

As far as “Poser heaven” - DAZ has a very long history of over-hyping and under-delivering.  I doubt we will see a separate genesis mesh for Poser - which is what the Poser community wants.  At best, I believe we’ll get a plug-in that takes advantage of SR3 that would make importing genesis easier, but that is the extent of it.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 21 August 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15721
Joined  2003-10-09

Edit: OK, I was apparently completely delusional, or at best had managed to open a really old copy of the Poser license file when I thought I was checking a new one the last time I checked, but in any event what i wrote was wrong and has therefore been deleted.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 21 August 2012 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2164
Joined  2003-10-09

Maybe the big news will be that Daz 3D has bought Poser from Smith Micro so that there will no longer be any cross company conflict in developing products

oh and from now on Poser Pro 2012 will be free

Posted: 21 August 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5340
Joined  2008-03-06
s l f - 20 August 2012 05:35 PM
Jaderail - 20 August 2012 05:23 PM

I say DAZ should apologize for inventing a new Mesh that can be almost any shape that a modeler wishes it to be. Can use multiple UV maps and textures right out of the box. Can use 90% or more of the old Gen3 and Gen4 figures clothing items without trouble. And then they make the new mesh figure so easy to build clothing for that Artist can develop items so much easier and faster than ever before that they prefer the new figure over all the work needed to make the same item for the older figures. Just Who does DAZ think it is?

I mean really. Blah… nuff said.

That is a bit cheeky of them isn’t it? <insert appropriate smiley here>

[Hmmm, maybe I need to go over to Rendo and tell them I’m leaving because they sell too many scanty outfits for V4 - that’ll learn them. <insert appropriate smiley here>

I know, seriously.  I can’t imagine what they were thinking with Genesis, actually making it possible to create weight-mapped man and child characters with real clothing and multi-UV support.  And who needs a three-click Transfer Utility?  Clothes should be slow and painful to make!  What are we, pansies?

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery and tutorials.

Posted: 21 August 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2009-12-07
LycanthropeX - 21 August 2012 04:13 PM

Maybe the big news will be that Daz 3D has bought Poser from Smith Micro so that there will no longer be any cross company conflict in developing products

oh and from now on Poser Pro 2012 will be free

Does Poser have a manual ... now?

Very cool avatar BTW! grin

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 21 August 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2164
Joined  2003-10-09

Poser does have a manual…. but if Daz 3D had it that would be the first “bug” they got rid of in the program

2 of 9