14 of 38
Bye Bye Daz3d
Posted: 22 September 2012 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 196 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1405
Joined  2008-11-10
ManStan - 22 September 2012 06:45 AM

probably losing all the weight mapping that makes genesis genesis.  {not saying there is one, it’s just what I think they are talking about}

Weightmaps aren’t what makes Genesis “Genesis”... it is the morphs and how you can combine them to make new creations… the weightmaps dynamically supports how that creation bends when posed.

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4750
Joined  2009-02-26

Okay I just want to say… Why is everyone upset that Daz hasnt supported genesis FOR poser. One would think that if smith micro wants to support Daz genesis then THEY would be the ones who do all the leg work. Sure theyd work together but I feel many people appear to be blaming the wrong company. Daz made a great figure for their software which is their business. Likewise poser is making its own. If it was me wanting a character to be supported in program ‘x’ I’d be at company ‘x’ not winging at the creator of the software made by company ‘y’ to support it in program ‘x’

You’ve got to keep in mind that both companies are separate. There are licensing involved. Copyright to be agreed upon not just the mind blowing task of actually getting it to work in poser. Not to mention all the genesis add ons that too would need to be made compatable.

Signature 

- - My Render Thread - - My Deviant Art - - xSPYROx Freebies - -

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  466
Joined  2003-10-09

the vickies and michaels always used to work in poser.  DAZ seemed to want us to buy their stuff in the past. It’s just disappointing.  But anyway they have hinted about poser heaven, so we will just have to see what that turns out to be. In the meantime I can actually use genesis in poser. I get a low rez mesh that can be subdivided by a python script by snarlygribbly so it is not all bad.  and wardrobe wizard supports genesis. and genesis can use my old textures.
Love esther

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Btw. I will say it is a joint company task as Daz owns exclusive rights to the figure… but it is certainly not just daz’s responsibility. Poser will have to just as interested and invested to incorporate daz’s character revolution.

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
esther - 22 September 2012 07:42 AM

the vickies and michaels always used to work in poser.  DAZ seemed to want us to buy their stuff in the past. It’s just disappointing.  But anyway they have hinted about poser heaven, so we will just have to see what that turns out to be. In the meantime I can actually use genesis in poser. I get a low rez mesh that can be subdivided by a python script by snarlygribbly so it is not all bad.  and wardrobe wizard supports genesis. and genesis can use my old textures.
Love esther

Good for you cheese its nice to hear some positives!

I’m sure the two companies will work something out… if they havnt already done so! It all just takes time. It’s no easy task! And I think we should all be more supportive to the idea of the possible project, not complaining that they aren’t doing it… because it’s very likely its all ready well into the making. We just dont have the official announcement yet smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  558
Joined  2004-12-14
Spyro - 22 September 2012 07:47 AM

Btw. I will say it is a joint company task as Daz owns exclusive rights to the figure… but it is certainly not just daz’s responsibility. Poser will have to just as interested and invested to incorporate daz’s character revolution.

SM’s business model is based on selling software, not content (which is very, very obvious looking at Content Paradise).

How is adding genesis support going to sell extra copies of Poser?  The people that are clamoring to use genesis ALREADY own Poser 9/2012. 

More importantly from DAZ’s perspective, if genesis is available in Poser, what would be a selling point for DS5?

Things to think about.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 22 September 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1736
Joined  2006-02-17
ssgbryan - 22 September 2012 09:54 AM

SM’s business model is based on selling software, not content (which is very, very obvious looking at Content Paradise).

How is adding genesis support going to sell extra copies of Poser?  The people that are clamoring to use genesis ALREADY own Poser 9/2012. 

More importantly from DAZ’s perspective, if genesis is available in Poser, what would be a selling point for DS5?

Things to think about.

SM’s business model is selling software to the MOBILE MARKET.  Poser isn’t even an afterthought.  Poser isn’t close to being SM’s best selling “graphics package.”  Both Anime Studio, and Manga Studio outsell Poser by a wide margin.  (Source: Last *8* shareholder’s quarterly reports).  In our conference calls with SM, Poser is *NEVER* mentioned, and the PC/Mac software is only covered in passing as the last “summary” after all of the long discussions of the mobile work.  (Refer to the online transcripts of these calls for proof)

Something to think about.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 22 September 2012 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1405
Joined  2008-11-10

Poser software needs something to render. DAZ is in the business of providing content.

See how this relationship works? That’s why they really need each other.

[

DAZ provides content, and that’s where their emphasis has been. DS was just the vehicle to demonstrate the new content platform, when SM didn’t have everything that was needed to present it. So really both need to work together to compliment each other’s strengths.

If nothing else came from Genesis, it gave SM a good swift kick in their pants to finally work on their figure platform over the last few service packs so now things like the K4 toddler and Freak 4 works with scaling after doing nothing with it for years. And the changes to allow plugins like GoZ and Reality to fit in? Swift kick indeed. And that’s really how technology works… you think you can sit on your laurels and you find you got some catching up to do.

Posted: 22 September 2012 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 204 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Things to think about.

Ok let’s think about this for a seccond.
Genesis.

From Daz point of view - ALL genesis content! Sales double by covering the poser customers!
Poser point of view- if they have the latest popular models (as clearly seen by reading the influx of complaints for not having genesis supported. And requests to get it supported on the poser program!). Then the continue to encourage existing and NEW customers to use their software.

Just think about the people who start out in Daz with genesis… Why would a Daz user want to give poser a go if they don’t have the compatability of their latest revolutionary ultimate morphing genesis?

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 205 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  540
Joined  2010-09-02

... A manual! *parumpbum* Thank you, folks. I’ll be here all week.

Signature 

Windows:          DAZ History Manager         Daz Wishlist Manager         3D Content Downloader

Firefox Fixes for the Old Forum:      Bookmarks       Images

Fun With Bundles Thread 2

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 206 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3159
Joined  2009-08-05

“...Steph5 is too bulky and has no where near the body shapes and controls her Gen4 counterpart has.. She also doesn’t have the specialty morph sets either and is also more expensive (which is why I didn’t get her). The other thing is, I already have working versions of my LeelaTeen and LeelaChild character models. Genesis really has little to add save for maybe making her butt flatten better when she sits.”

Kyoto Kid, I completely find this statement incorrect. You see, people are so used to stand alone shapes they forget what Genesis is about. Using S5 on her own will give you limited results yes. BUT, combine her with Genx transfers and Genesis morphs and she has more control and morphs than any Gen4 counterpart. Also please post a pic of this leelateen of yours. I want to see the body structure. I bet I can duplicate it with ease or even make a better one using S5 and my morphs from Genx:) You keep downtalking Genesis, lets put your Gen4 models to the test:) I will show you the power of Genesis.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 22 September 2012 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 207 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

WOW, Well said Zev!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 208 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-05-25

animation, dynamic hair, dynamic cloth creation, enough things to think about and never touch poser again.

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 22 September 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 209 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  558
Joined  2004-12-14
Spyro - 22 September 2012 11:01 AM

Things to think about.

Ok let’s think about this for a seccond.
Genesis.

From Daz point of view - ALL genesis content! Sales double by covering the poser customers!
Poser point of view- if they have the latest popular models (as clearly seen by reading the influx of complaints for not having genesis supported. And requests to get it supported on the poser program!). Then the continue to encourage existing and NEW customers to use their software.

Just think about the people who start out in Daz with genesis… Why would a Daz user want to give poser a go if they don’t have the compatability of their latest revolutionary ultimate morphing genesis?

What makes you think sales will double?  Any Poser user can already use genesis clothing content - Wardrobe Wizard (bundled w/Poser) has a genesis plug-in ($8.75) available for it. 

I haven’t seen enough original genesis content to spring for the plug-in; I have all the skankwear & impractical armor I’ll ever need - when the genesis business suit comes out, I’ll revisit, because we haven’t had a good male business suit since the Casablanca Suit for M3.

As far as characters, I have over 200+ Gen4 (male & female) characters - what new, original characters have shown up?  The genesis-based monsters don’t impress me, I can get similar results with the Gen4 creature morphs - if I need a real monster, I’ll get one from Sixus1 or Sanctum Arts.  On the other hand, I really, really like that Cthulhu that Luthbel developed.

The only thing I can see genesis being good for is recreating the figures that DAZ chose not to bring forward from Gen3 (Luke & Laura and David).

The most popular model isn’t genesis, it is still V4.  I was around for the Gen3/Gen4 switch.  New Gen3 content simply disappeared within 90 days at every content sight under the sun.  After more than a year since the release of DS4, Gen4 content development hasn’t dropped off in the slightest.  90% of genesis content is sold at DAZ.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 22 September 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 210 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

While the ‘most popular’ character on any 3d software is very much debatable - Genesis is the next generation, It is all of them compiled in one model, Creating characters with genesis is in my opinion far more superior than Gen 4, every aspect of each character is in your paint pallet. Creation is endless, which was reasonably true with the old Apollo Maximus (Which was certainly good in its time). I don’t wish to bicker about the ‘BEST’. This is my opinion only.

If genesis clothing is already available for poser, then DAZ has already began! They are generating their profit… So it would be ideal for future sales that the GENESIS gets supported in POSER, which I will add… Will be more attractive to the poser market.

New characters for genesis… Well MANY vendors would certainly express their differing opinions on that. Speaking of genesis in general the biggest and best feature is the limitless ability to create ORIGINAL and UNIQUE characters. In regards to generation figures… M5, V5, S5…. Not to mention All the existing character packs and upcoming ones! The characters movements and rigging are far more an improvement beyond Gen 4, 3 and so on. And to note, I would be surprised If DAZ hasn’t already planed a D5 and L&L (Or similar). There is much myth and speculation on the topic, but I’m sure they know profits will be found there.

I believe the figure is more realistic and refined over previous generations as well, having worked with M4 and V4 quite a lot in the not to distant past.

Overall this is my personal opinion and views… I do not intend to fight or bicker on any of this. smile

Signature 

14 of 38