Digital Art Zone

look through a scope
Posted: 18 August 2012 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-08-19

Is it possible to place a camera inside an object and render an image as if looking through that object? I tried putting my camera inside a gun scope, but I keep seeing the outside of my scope as well as through it.

Posted: 19 August 2012 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2003-10-09

Are you animating it?

If not, then your best bet would be to do it in post.

Posted: 19 August 2012 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2005-09-19
Torkuda - 18 August 2012 11:52 PM

Is it possible to place a camera inside an object and render an image as if looking through that object? I tried putting my camera inside a gun scope, but I keep seeing the outside of my scope as well as through it.

The problem is that a rifle scope has a very narrow field of view, while a camera has, by default, a much wider one and everything within that field of view will be rendered. I’m not sure there’s a way to simulate the narrower field of view without significantly changing the image rendered, or postwork.

Posted: 19 August 2012 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1762
Joined  2012-03-24

mm,, it seems not so difficult. just adjust scale. you need long cylinder. I think

Image Attachments
scope.JPGscope2.JPGshadow.jpg

Posted: 19 August 2012 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-01-08

The camera has physical size that is bigger than your scope, so it shows both inside and outside. A solution is like kitakoledaz says, although a long torus would avoid having to model or making a transmap. You can also increase the camera Focal Length (in the Parameters tab) so that the field of view lies inside the scope or cylinder/torus.

Posted: 19 August 2012 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15775
Joined  2003-10-09

Actually the camera is just a point. The problem is, in part, that what Hollywood has taught us to think of as “the view through a scope” (or through binoculars) isn’t at all like the real thing.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 19 August 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
Richard Haseltine - 19 August 2012 01:20 PM

Actually the camera is just a point. The problem is, in part, that what Hollywood has taught us to think of as “the view through a scope” (or through binoculars) isn’t at all like the real thing.

Yup.  When looking through a scope one sees “full vision” just with a reticle view in the focus.  One will still “see” around the scope with their peripheral vision.  The reticle view may, or may not, be zoomed depending on the scope being used.  Some of the newer setups have either a visible light laser, or an “invisible” IR or UV pinpoint.  My rifles have several different scopes.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 19 August 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-01-08
Richard Haseltine - 19 August 2012 01:20 PM

Actually the camera is just a point.

LOL, OK. I should have said: “the camera plane projection has a physical size”.