Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
Getting an understanding for using pins/seams with mapping.
Posted: 16 September 2012 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  2008-01-01

Don’t waste your cyber-ink, EP.

If anything, this discussion has strongly confirmed something I have long suspected.

Just hope folks who want to learn will see past the white noise.

Posted: 16 September 2012 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2210
Joined  2008-01-28

Post edited because of misguided compassion

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 17 September 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6154
Joined  2006-08-27
Roygee - 16 September 2012 10:40 PM

Don’t waste your cyber-ink, EP.

If anything, this discussion has strongly confirmed something I have long suspected.

Just hope folks who want to learn will see past the white noise.

You are correct sir! Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to learning more regarding UVs from you.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 17 September 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2007-10-15
evilproducer - 17 September 2012 05:35 PM

...Looking forward to learning more regarding UVs from you.

Yeah, me too. Whenever you’re ready I’ll be listening, pen in hand.

Posted: 17 September 2012 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

That’s about it, really.  How you unwrap and lay out a specific mesh depends on the mesh and how you are going to use the template.

Posted: 18 September 2012 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
Roygee - 17 September 2012 11:27 PM

That’s about it, really.  How you unwrap and lay out a specific mesh depends on the mesh and how you are going to use the template.

Huh? That’s it?

What about the projection axis? And the pinning axis? And dissociating UV’s? And relaxing UV’s and iterations? And target welding? And islands? And fitting UV’s? And detaching polygons? What about all that stuff? And in Hex, all the UV editing tools and brushes?

And what about pinning? Is there a way to do what I was talking about? Come on, man, we’re looking forward to learning more regarding UV’s from you.

Posted: 18 September 2012 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Take a look at the title of the thread - it is not “Understanding everything possible there is to know about UV mapping”.

I don’t go from the assumption that I am the world’s top expert in all things and everyone else is a total ignoramus.  I know for a fact from seeing their work that folk posting here do have very good knowledge of UV mapping and have no need for condescending redundant information.

Posted: 18 September 2012 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2210
Joined  2008-01-28

Gee Roygee, you are a saint my man smile
Most people woulda had Joe on their ignore list by now.
In fact, I think most people have….

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 18 September 2012 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

smile

I try to take my cue from the best forum citizens, such as yourself and 3dage;-)

Just to digress for a minute, I took a close look at the forum TOS.  The lawyer in me asks; “Where is a mod when you need one?”  But then the psychologist in me says; “Nope, leave it - it’s a great case study in social media interaction”

ignore?  Never!  That is where trolls get their jollies and I’m not in the business of dishing out jollies to trolls.cheese

Posted: 18 September 2012 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

With all due respect, I think that if your sole purpose is to attack others, then you guys might want to do it via Private Message or something.

In any case, for those who are not allergic to information just because it’s not included in the thread title, let me put in another plug for the Hexagon UV tools. Including one which I really wish worked, but doesn’t seem to, and I’d love to hear from anyone who has successfully got it to work.

It’s the Gap Size setting in the UV Unwrapping tool. According to the manual, it’s supposed to “define the margin between each UV group by adjusting the Margin value. The weaker the margin value, the closer the UV groups are to each other.” Which would be nice to resolve an issue that I assume most of us have experienced in both apps, and that is separate UV meshes being unwrapped so that they are effectively touching each other. Which means that selecting each of those meshes can be troublesome. If you could enter a value that defines how far apart the unwrapped meshes are, selecting could be much easier because you’d have more space between “islands”. Unfortunately, after many repeated tries, varying that value seems to have absolutely no effect. 

There really doesn’t seem to be anything equivalent in Carrara, so if it did (or does) work, I think it would be a big selling point for Hex vs. Carrara. However, I believe if the individual meshes are assigned to different shading domains, both apps have the ability to select which shading domain meshes are displayed in the UV view, so that issue goes away.

In any case, one of the big advantages I’ve found for the Hex UV tools as opposed to the Carrara UV tools is that, as far as I can tell, Hex provides manipulators when you select UV meshes, while Carrara doesn’t. So with Carrara, if you want to select and move/rotate a mesh, it can be very difficult. Often in Carrara you need to click on an individual vertex to move your selection, otherwise you lose the selection. So with a dense mesh, if you miss the vertex by a fraction of a millimeter, your selection drops and you have to re-select. With Hex you have a nice, big, translate/rotate/scale manipulator to operate with.

4 of 4