Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Regretting The Day I Got Comfortable Using Smart Content
Posted: 18 August 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2006-02-27

Recently I upgraded to Studio 4.5 the latest one and I just Can’t get the Content Database Management Service to start working so none of my Smart Content is working.

I won’t be surprised if in Studio 5 They Remove that feature.

I have tried uninstalling it reinstalling it and studio, I have done everything in the content database maintanece and still nothing.

It hates me, Studio 4.5 Hates me.

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-02-12

Got the same problem. After many tries I got fed up and created a new one after backing up the old in case of I want to try to recover it one day as I had customized it

Find your DB and move all the datas somewhere else. Uninstall DS4.5 and install it again. It should recreate the DB
You may have to reimport metadatas after that.

If you had some categories customizations, you may have lost them

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

Do you mean the Data folder

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-12

On Win 7 the default path for the database is C:\program Data\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases. I don’t know for other OS

There you find some files for the database :

ContentDB.blb
ContentDB.dat
ContentDB.ind
ContentDB.vdb
master.vdb

Move theses files elsewhere

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

Did it but nothing. I’m stuck

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-12

OK other method

Uninstall DS4.5 and contents
Intstall it again but this time customize your DB content manager installation
When installing the DB Content manager specify a new folder for your DB content
After installation check that the “DAZ Content Management Service” is started
Start DS and go to Content Library->content DB Maintenance->Re-import metadata

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

Hey thanks for your help

I think I got it now

I am just hoping it stays turned o

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-12

No problem, glad to help. You shouldn’t have anymore problem…till the next update wink

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

Lets Hope so

You know something I still regret getting to the point where I can work with Genesis in Studio 4 with out the smart content

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

I don’t use smart content. I come from DS3A and I’m so used to the Content Library that it’s all I use. I still run the CMS and let it import metadata but I don’t think I’ll ever use that feature very much, if at all.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7995
Joined  2006-03-19

I also don’t use the smart content. I for some odd strange reason like to you the content library and find the stuff.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

IN studio 3 I know where everything is but when it comes to my genesis content I find my self a bit lost

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  2012-02-04

Smart Content is really not very user friendly for a couple reasons:

1) It resets every time you click on something else in the scene list.  This makes it particularly irksome when you want to apply material presets to an outfit that has multiple pieces to it.  Each time you click on the next item, the smart content view resets and you have to drill back into where you were and then scroll down to the material presets.  Terrible user experience.

2) It lumps everything together into one bucket with no discernible sort order.  Thus, it’s hard to tell what is the actual figure item itself to load vs a material preset and so on.

3) There is a vast amount of content that does not come with metadata, so you can’t rely on it for finding everything you own anyway.

I long ago gave up on Smart Content.  The only thing I ever do with it now is sometimes use it for a quick browse and then use the right-click option to “Open in Content Library” to jump the library tab’s location and then work from the library.  But more often than not, I just use the Content Library and ignore Smart Content altogether.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage
Set Focal Distance script for DAZ Studio

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
cwichura - 18 August 2012 03:32 PM

1) It resets every time you click on something else in the scene list.  This makes it particularly irksome when you want to apply material presets to an outfit that has multiple pieces to it.  Each time you click on the next item, the smart content view resets and you have to drill back into where you were and then scroll down to the material presets.  Terrible user experience.

2) It lumps everything together into one bucket with no discernible sort order.  Thus, it’s hard to tell what is the actual figure item itself to load vs a material preset and so on.

3) There is a vast amount of content that does not come with metadata, so you can’t rely on it for finding everything you own anyway.

I long ago gave up on Smart Content.  The only thing I ever do with it now is sometimes use it for a quick browse and then use the right-click option to “Open in Content Library” to jump the library tab’s location and then work from the library.  But more often than not, I just use the Content Library and ignore Smart Content altogether.

BINGO!! You understand!!

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7100
Joined  2005-08-15

I also use the Content Library tab, and seldom look in Smart Content, and even then, only out of interest.  I always have the Content Management Service running as I use the search feature in the Content Library often, and I think it is terrific.

Posted: 18 August 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-27
Jaderail - 18 August 2012 03:36 PM
cwichura - 18 August 2012 03:32 PM

BINGO!! You understand!!

Exactly!

1 of 3