Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Actual Facial hair - how resource intensive?
Posted: 26 May 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1438
Joined  2006-07-04

I’m sure there was a topic on this on the old forums, but I wasn’t paying much attention to it, and now I regret that.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/actual-face-hair

Looks very interesting, and, right now, it has an edge over the other two Genesis facial hair products on my wish list just by virtue of being on sale.

But before I buy it, I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of resources it pulled?  There’s no warning about it being system intensive on the web-page, but I’ve also found that, sometimes, vendors with quality machines don’t realize that their products are going to drastically slow down a lesser computer.

I don’t need specifics, just if the facial hair is equivalent to a shirt, or a dress, or whatever, in terms of how much extra weight it adds to a scene.

Signature 

DAZ Gallery * * *DA Gallery

Posted: 26 May 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2005-05-17

Anybody?  I would like to know as well.

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  732
Joined  2006-05-26

I just purchased it so i will know soon about how resource intensive it is. I doubt it will be too bad since these are all shorter hairs. I am just a little baffled that there are no eyebrows. Someone needs to come up with some real brows.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 27 May 2012 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  186
Joined  2008-06-01

How the hell does it work… I have installed it. I have applied it to Genesis… I don’t see anything… no morphs for it either. Completely baffled here!

Posted: 27 May 2012 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14285
Joined  2003-10-09

Are you sure you loaded the model, rather than applying a material file to Genesis? Also, I don’t know what length setting it loads with - you may need to render it or turn the length morphs up to get a visible effect.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 27 May 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2007-10-19

Richard, I’m having the same problem. Loaded the moustache and beard, but there’s no dial anywhere to grow the hair. Rendered it, nothing visible. The Read Me says: It consists of 5 grow regions, each with their own hair length dial, allowing you to grow that region from zero to “I did not shaved for 3 months”. But it doesn’t tell you where the dial is. It’s certainly not on the Parameters tab, and selecting e.g. the beard on the Scene tab and going to Smart Content tab doesn’t show anything at all (yes, I’ve installed and imported the metadata). If there are length morphs with it, they’re nowhere to be found.

(Added to this is the very small amount of actual content in the item - it feels like really poor value for money. But that’s a different subject.)

ETA: And the documentation link on the Read Me links to Artzone, which no longer exists, so you get shunted to the Daz homepage instead. Why are new products being linked to parts of the site that vanished months ago?

Posted: 27 May 2012 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I would expect to select the Beard in the Scene pane, then adjust the Morphs in the Parameters pane.

Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2012 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-19

Me too. The beard does appear in the Scene pane, as you see. This is the Parameters pane with the beard selected (X, Y and Z translate are at the top, as usual). There’s no control for beard morphs.

Image Attachments
viewpane.jpg
scene_pane.jpg
parameters.jpg

Posted: 27 May 2012 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-19

Just to add a thought: I also selected Genesis, once I’d added the beard and moustache to the scene, just to check whether they were considered Genesis attributes and listed in the Parameters pane there. Nope.

Posted: 27 May 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-04

Okay then.  So not too intensive, but a pain to find the parameters. smile  I’ll see how the finances shake out.

Here’s a thought, can you expand the beard to the head and see if the morphs are there?  I know with Genesis we’re getting used to most of the morphs being in the main body, but there are still some times when just parts of an item has morphs.

Also, have you looked to see if, for some reason, the morphs are hidden?  (that is “show hidden parameters”)

Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1589
Joined  2009-08-08

I haven’t been able to make it visible at all. The Display parameters say it’s visible, but even if I turn Genesis off, or have it fit to none, there is nothing showing. Nada. Just an empty bounding box. Whether I apply a color or not.

I think this one may not be ready for prime time. But the help desk doesn’t seem to be working reliably either.

Posted: 27 May 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Have you checked the log file after loading the item?

Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-19

DaWaterRat,
I’ve tried both your suggestions but no luck. I’ve emailed for a refund because this product doesn’t work. It is very poor value too - there’s very little in it, even if it did work. I would not recommend that anyone buy this.

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-04

There was a similar problem with the Magna heart dress.  I remember having to edit the dsf of one of the sleeves.  I’m waiting for my GM to fix his map display, so I can’t look up how to fix it right now.

Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-09-16
DaWaterRat - 26 May 2012 09:00 AM

I’m sure there was a topic on this on the old forums, but I wasn’t paying much attention to it, and now I regret that.

Actually, the old forum thread was not for this product, but a more extensive face and body hair product currently being developed by Mec4d.

Posted: 28 May 2012 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2005-10-05

Unless I’m blind, ‘Actual Face Hair’ does not function!.  Something loads but it’s not visible and believe me I’ve tried all sorts of permutations

As the ‘Contact Us’ link is clearly not working does anyone know either how to make it function or has anyone has managed to get through to the Help/Product issues area.

Barbara
(Very annoyed and peed off)

Signature 

Simply…...Out There!

1 of 3