Digital Art Zone

lock a pin? want to keep a body part still, no constantly changing its pin
Posted: 17 August 2012 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-08-19

I heard in one of the DAZ tutorials that you can “lock” a pin. How?

Posted: 17 August 2012 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-19

maybe there’s a way to parent a body part to an object?

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15271
Joined  2003-10-09

Pinning and locking are the same thing, and if the figure is moved too far wil fail. No, you can’t parent a part to a prop.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 18 August 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-19

The pins move if you even nudge the figure oh so slightly. Say you tell the hip of an object to move manually, there they all go. If you so much as tell ONE hand to move it’s origin to a place that is actually in range to keep the opposite hand pinned, the opposite will still lose it’s pin. I’m sorry, but it’s starting to feel like the rigging system might as well not even exist. Is that seriously all there is to try to keep an appendage e in place? What was so wrong with normal inverse kenimatics?

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Okay this might be your trouble. The Pin’s on the IK Ball only lock the IK not the X,Y,Z position. To PIN a part in place you need to PIN the bone. Pick the Bone tool from your tools and then pick the part you wish to PIN on the figure. Once the figure part is selected hit the Spacebar. You now have a Bone Pin. You now use the Bone tool to do all your moving of the figure. Once you change your tool the Bone pin is off.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1881
Joined  2012-03-24

Jaderlail , it is great,,, I had never used this tool for posing,,

becaues there are so many option, and I can not understand clearly how to use it.
now I try it, click “space” yes it can pin bone perfectly . and I can move another bone.

I actually thought same thing Torkuda said.
when I pin transration and rotation, by pose tool, (three color circle)
the node never keep position. yes they move, if I move another bone.

but as you say,,  bone tool is great for me. it works perfectly.

So I think “bone tool” means “Active pose” tools ^^;?

Posted: 19 August 2012 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-19

Barely functional. The second you try to rotate something, even with active pose still engaged, the pins move unless you are manipulating the figure directly.

Posted: 19 August 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  820
Joined  2007-01-08

That’s because ActivePose is meant to be used on Translations (only) and IK is for rotations (only).

Posted: 19 August 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15271
Joined  2003-10-09

No, IK will work with translations - try pinning the feet or hands and lowering the hip

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 19 August 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-19

You can translate the position just fine, so long as you grab the pieces of the model directly. However if you try for any thing specific with the rotation dials, you can forget it, as far as the dials are concerned the bone pins don’t exist.

Why is it every time I try to use Studio over Carrara, Carrara comes out looking like the old rusty ten speed and Studio like a bike with training wheels, flashing lights, a bell, a basket on back, twenty speeds but oh… someone forgot the front wheel? This isn’t something unimaginable, it’s a straight forward part of animation and posing.