Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Genesis missing Daz Studio Pro 4.5
Posted: 28 December 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2010-03-22

Wanted to make it clear that Genesis seemed to install ok before the problems started…. if that helps.

Posted: 28 December 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
More2burn - 26 December 2012 09:49 AM

After my first post I installed a fresh copy on a fresh install of windows 7 64bit and It was fine at first. Then I started installing all my other content. (a pain to do as windows always asks to install using recommended settings and the process is tedious anyway.)  So, it ended up breaking itself again

That sounds like something you are installing is giving you nested content directories…something that’s fairly easy to fix.  You move the stuff in the nested folders up and remove the nesting…

Say you end up with a Content>Runtime>content>runtime>runtime structure.  You would move the bottom most runtime up and merge it with the first Runtime….

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 12 January 2013 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-12-30

I know that this posted has not been used for a few weeks, but I wanted to inform people in case they have this problem like I did. Because I am still new to this software and how it works, I was playing around and well to cut a long story short I had to reinstall all of my software again. Like what other people have said here, Genesis worked ok at the start, but after installing all of my other bits, it stopped working! It could not find the Genesis.dsf file when I started up the program. The way that I got it working again was to finish installing all of my other stuff in to DAZ, and then I went back and reinstalled Genesis Starter Essentials again. This work for me. I got everything working as normal again. There must be a file that I have that over writes genesis or something, and knocks it out. By doing what I have said, everything worked again.

I hope that this helps someone out.

Signature 

Who Watches The Watchmen!

Posted: 01 March 2013 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

I wanted to give Daz 4.5 another try so I Installed it along with the new Daz Install Manager ( Did you start working on this before or after my suggestion? Just curious.) The new service seems good but my content still isn’t showing up in Daz studio. These are the steps I took.

Installed Daz Studio
Installed “Install Manager”
Installed some content that includes the Genesis Starter Kit.
Opened DS and saw no content
Went to Install Manager to poke around and found a place to set DS as one of the applications or something.
Checked again and nothing changed. Followed the Tut inside DS though it doesn’t look the same without any content in there.
Did little else because I had already went to another computer before and also reinstalled my OS before so I don’t feel like doing much else. Anyone know what’s up with this?

Other things that I did but not sure “in what order.”

Had to google to find the User agreement and click accept.
Signed up with a name and email through DS

Posted: 01 March 2013 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8649
Joined  2007-11-06

The default install location in Install Manager is not the same as the one currently used by DS.  In DS, go to Edit >Preferences>Content Library > Content Directory Manager and add “C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library” under “DAZ Studio Formats” and “Poser Formats” (you can remove the default location that’s there now).

(That’s the location under Windows 7 or Vista, it’ll be a bit different on another OS).

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 02 March 2013 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

Thanks for the response. I changed the path and got SOME things. Genesis wasn’t one of them so I just downloaded the installer the old fashioned way and tried that method and made sure the path was the same but this didn’t work either. Genesis still isn’t there :(

Posted: 02 March 2013 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2003-10-09
More2burn - 02 March 2013 06:38 AM

Thanks for the response. I changed the path and got SOME things. Genesis wasn’t one of them so I just downloaded the installer the old fashioned way and tried that method and made sure the path was the same but this didn’t work either. Genesis still isn’t there :(

I had the same issue. Here’s how I fixed it:

Change the default path of the DIM installer, which it seems you’ve already done.

Next, change to the Content Tab in DS, bring up its menu and. Select DB Maintenance. Check Reset Database.

Once you do that, bring up the DB Maintenance menu again, and select every other option EXCEPT Reset Database

Finally, go into the DS Preferences, select the Startup Tab, and uncheck Load Default Scene. Older versions of DS had this checked by default and it would load a blank Genesis figure, this scene/.dsf file is no longer there in DS 4.5, but the Preference is a carry over from earlier versions.

Restart DS.

You may have to go thru the DB Maintenance process a second time to straighten it all out, but this finally fixed everything for me.

Also, I assume you have DIM managing your installs now and have already gone thru the process of uninstalling your previous content using the uninstallers in the Uninstallers folder in your My Library folder before re-installing your content using the DIM.

-Patrick

Posted: 03 March 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

@hOss6969 I did as you said and at first I regretted it because all the content was gone even after several tries. Then, after a reinstall of just the Genesis content only some of it loaded up but nothing else would.  The good news is that once I modified your process and unchecked the two options under the “Content Database Maintenance” tab that start with the word Remove, I think I got it to work. So thanks to fixmypcmike and hOss6969 for leading me to a DS that can load content.

P.S. I’m loving the new Install manager now that things are working smile I’m glad I thought of it? or no? lol. Either way it’s kool.

Posted: 03 March 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2003-10-09

Glad I could help. I remember that I had to run the DB Maintenance part several times, with different combinations of options checked and unchecked, but in the end, it finally seemed to straighten itself out, so trying different combinations may fix it all the way for you.smile

-Patrick

Posted: 27 September 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-09-26

I had the same problem and fixed just going to the preferences in FIle menu and putting the correct content path in the Content Tab. I had a previous installation with a different path that remained in this new installation using the default paths.

2 of 2