Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
“Loading” question
Posted: 17 August 2012 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2012-06-03

I still have little or no idea about what appears to be several different ways of loading (is that the right word ?) content onto a figure say Victoria 4. There’s words like loading, inject, morph, metadata file, obj. and sometimes I find I can copy and paste it across as well all of which has left me very confused.

If someone could kindly explain the principle that must presumably lie behind it all it would help a lot - I hope red face

Thanks

Signature 

“Those curious locks so aptly twin’d,
Whose every hair a soul doth bind.”
Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 17 August 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  2005-08-15

You load load the figure first, then select the clothing for that figure in the Content Library tab.  Either drag and drop onto the figure, or double click the item to load it onto the figure.  The same applies to Hair items as well.

I don;t know what you mean by cutting and pasting accross?

Morphs change the shape of the main character, like Genesis or V4.  The older ones for V4 are sometimes INJexted using an injection file found in the Poser Formats > Pose folder.  Metadata is what populates the Smart Content tab, and you should not normally have to do anything with it.

OBJ is a mesh file format used throughout the 3D world.  It only contains the mesh information, and in DAZ Studio, you seldom have to load one yourself, it is usually done by running a CR2 (Character) file from Poser Formats > Figures.

Does that help any?

Posted: 17 August 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

A lot yes thanks. The difficulty with some items you can buy is finding the file which does the loading of content and why for example I found the word Powrloader so helpful. It’s trying to remember all the jargon too for example drag and drop not cut and paste so apologies….!

Thanks

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

No need to appologise, the whole jargon used in 3D gets to everyone at some point.  smile

Do not be afraid to post any questions that you may have in this forum, it’s what it is for.  Most of the content sold here in the store is still Poser format content.  Characters (Figures) will be loaded by using a CR2 (Character) file from the Poser Foramts area in the Content Library tab.  A CR2 file ‘calls’ the OBJ file from the Geometries folder, and then supplies the rigging (bones) and materials for the figure.

Sometimes you can download files from ShareCG that are in OBJ format so that they can be used in any 3D program, like Lightwave or 3DS Max or Blender etc, and they can be more difficult to use, but there is plenty of help here if you need it.

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Thanks again because the current problem is I need to open an obg. file. Windows is then saying with this and one or two other files that it cannot open this or that file and would you like to search the web ? Then it seems that this is because my pc needs cleaning (for an excessive cost) which admittedly I’ve never done mainly because it’s always worked ok, so I’ve come to a halt again….LOL

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

If you want to open an OBJ file inside DAZ Studio, go to File > Import, and the first one on the list is OBJ.  Find your file, and DS4P should load it for you.  The OBJ file format only carries mesh information, and a link to a texture file.  They usually come in pairs OBJ/MTL and DS4P should pick up the textures folder.

Any more problems, just post again.

Posted: 18 August 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Thank you. Overall the strange bit is I don’t have that much problem, well as yet anyway with all the scene gadgets once the figures are in place, it’s trying to figure out all the computer techie stuff which I’ve never been any good at. So apart from the fact first of all that I don’t know if there should be 2 Daz3d files again (!), when I clicked on File > Import OBJ wasn’t there !....red face

I hope you’ve got plenty of patience because thick won’t even come close !! LOL

Image Attachments
2_Daz_3d_files_-_correct_or_not.JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 18 August 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

That sounds like ‘nested’ folders, one inside the other in other words.  You should only have one DAZ 3D folder in Documents and Settings to hold your content.

Can you post an image of what is actually inside the DAZ 3D folder, with the folders collapsed showing their contents (click on the little plus sign in case you didn’t know that smile)

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Sorry my mistake in the pic I should have said 1 in “My Computer” with I think Genesis in it, and 1 in “Local Disk” (C:) with I think Victoria 4….

Will post an image of the one in Docs & Settings….

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Edited: The ones I think you’re referring to are the two below…..

Image Attachments
Correct_Daz_3D_files_-_2_Pics.JPGCorrect_Daz_3D_files_-_2_Pics(2).JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

I don’t know why you have two DAZ 3D folders, and neither of them has a Content or My Library folder, strange.

What do you have in the Content Directory Manager listed as DAZ Studio and Poser Formats?  Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library, and post a screenshot if you can.

The one in Pic 2 looks like the stuff that the Genesis Essentials installed.

What OBJ file are you trying to load, and where did you download it to?  All you have to do, is find the path to the OBJ file when prompted by DS, and it will be loaded.  It does not need to be in any particular folder.

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Sorry about this I’ve had loads of yelling children running around the house all afternoon, now they’ve gone I double checked and realised that in the first pic I should have said as in the pic below - 1 in “My Documents” and 2, 1 nested, in “My Computer”.

Will reply to your latest post next….

Image Attachments
3_Daz_3d_files.JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Unfortunately lost the OBJ file somewhere but hope this will do….

Image Attachments
Content_Directory_Manager.JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

Your DAZ Studio formats are a bit of a mess.  Both of them will not show any content in DAZ Studio Formats in the Content Library, and the Poser ones seem to be wrong too.

I think the easiest thing to do, would be to reinstall DS4P.  The DAZ Studio program should be installed to the Program Files area, and the content to C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library.  That is the correct install path for ALL content, Poser or DAZ Studio.

If you are using a version of DS4P prior to the 4.5 update, then enter Program files in the top box, and C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library in the bottom one.  That way everything will be installed to the correct place.

The latest update to DS4P, 4.5.0.114, has a seperate installer for the content.  If you try to reinstall, the installer should uninstall the previous version anyway.  Does that all make sense.  It will be easier than trying to fix all the things that are wrong at the moment.

Posted: 19 August 2012 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Yes it makes sense. I did first try re-installing DS4P but still no Content or Library appeared so in the end deleted it all. Just installed the 4.5 update however I haven’t seen the separate installer you mentioned and nothing’s happening when I click on the shortcut icon except a message box saying that Windows is searching for DS.exe. Then nothing more….

It’s really dragging on this problem or is it a leftover from the big transition that happened at the end of May….?

Thanks

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 19 August 2012 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

The best way to get the 4.5 version, is to buy it through the store, and the content will be in a seperate installer.  Use this link, and add it to your cart, then checkout.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz-studio-4-pro

All you need to install is the 4.5.0.114 installer, and the Genesis Essentials installer to the path I gave you earlier.

1 of 4