Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Need help in Carrara? Ask Dr. PhilW!!!
Posted: 18 August 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7275
Joined  2009-07-13

and yes I noticed the tshirt hence the Asia mention and EL&P is the quintessential “stadium rock” band everyone likes!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2005-04-12
wendy♥catz - 18 August 2012 10:49 AM

lucky Phil!
I would just be gobsmacked and say something dumb if I did open my mouth red face

Who said I wasn’t just like that myself!

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5959
Joined  2007-12-04

Wow. After watching the bits about dynamic hair (in celebration to Phil W’s great, new release) I made my first foray into making my own aside from adding some full-body fur to a monster way back when. This two foot plus long, curly hair is exactly what I’ve been asking of the PA community for Genesis - while they were wondering what folks wanted. Many others joined in on the request - so perhaps it’s just hard to do for Genesis? Maybe make that one myself, too. But this one is on my favorite V4 character - and it looks great. Doing a test render now of a short (just over two seconds) animation stepping into and completing one little walk cycle - just to see how well it behaves in an animation (I just don’t do stills except for test renders).

When I posted my displeasure with Carrara’s dynamic hair, back when I made the furry monster, NASSOS corrected me; informing me that it was my settings that were to blame - and that it takes some tweaking to get the exact result depending upon the hair and the motions involved. This time there was no apparent dis-pleasurable ‘bouncing’ and seems to be behaving very nicely in the assembly room. we’ll see how the render turns out cool hmm

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

Hair for Genesis is no more difficult than for any other character - and I just released my first one for Genesis.  Although in some ways it seems a little premature, given that C8.5 is still in Beta and not fully released yet.

I’ll be interested to see your animation - the notorious “wind tunnel” effect is (I believe) a function of having too many polygons to calculate collisions with, and I have only really had success when using a lower polygon proxy figure as the collision object, and not the main figure.  Although the Genesis base is lower poly (it then uses sub-division to smooth the mesh), it was still too high in my tests to give a good animated result directly.

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Drats! and you just told me about using a proxy as well (watched your videos on the subject on You Tube for long, draping hair)... Oh well… we’ll see how it turns out.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12
Dartanbeck - 18 August 2012 01:14 PM

Drats! and you just told me about using a proxy as well (watched your videos on the subject on You Tube for long, draping hair)... Oh well… we’ll see how it turns out.

Hey, who knows, you may have more success!  And if you do, you can share the secret…

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Gonna have to do a proxy on this one - which isn’t even worth the time to upload! LOL

Love the Hair… now I just need to calm it down.

Image Attachments
DynHair1a.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

The hair itself renders much faster than the conforming solution currently used - which, like most conforming hair, uses a lot of alpha. Plus the fact that I have to use three separate figures of the hair to achieve the length, fullness and shape while maintaining good custom morph capabilities - which may end up being more valuable to me in the long run, but I really like the look of the dynamic hair above!

below - Three figures of Angelica Hair, each custom shaped and morphed for many motion situations.

Image Attachments
ConHair.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

The dynamic hair version looks pretty wild - I love it! I hope you can get it animated OK, it will look very cool.

Posted: 18 August 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

In the middle of another simulation test render and I’m wondering if one should be applying some subtle directional (or other) forces in the scene to act as a mock gravity, with one or two behaving as a slight breeze, or even a motion breeze? Anyone play with hair in animations enough to know?

Signature 

Posted: 19 August 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

You can set gravity under the Scene/Physics tab - it is set to normal gravity by default, and this applies in the hair room so there is no need to add a force for gravity. Up to you whether to add wind. If your character is moving, there should be natural air resistence which can be set in the hair/dynamics parameters.

Posted: 19 August 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 17 August 2012 07:57 AM

I figured that a great way to get an idea about more of what Carrara has to offer would be to finally buy Phil W’s “Advanced Carrara Techniques” video series by Infinite Skills(teacher: Phil Wilkes), from right here, at Daz3d.

I will second and triple that thought! Phil’s training is extremely helpful.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 19 August 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2011-01-03
PhilW - 18 August 2012 03:40 AM

...I am planning to do an update when C9 is available.

YES! My day has just been made!

Of course, waiting in Daz-Time will be the kicker.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 31 August 2012 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2003-10-09
DAZ_bfurner - 17 August 2012 10:06 AM

There are a lot of tutorials available at CarraraCafe

Look at the different contributors under the Tutorial section.

Good Luck.

Looks OK except for the annoying overlay on the left side of the page that never goes away.

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Yo Phil,
I just finished the Advanced Training series and was left in awe, especially with the final “Hello, I’m Phil Wilkes…” video. Love it!
You certainly got your wish regarding passing along enthusiasm and inspiration in this artist, as well as giving me some extremely useful skills to help me in my Carrara endeavors for the rest of my life. Thanks!

You say in that final video that Carrara is currently your favorite program. Is that still the case? Have you tried the 8.5 beta?

Personally, I don’t feel as if there even is another program like Carrara. It seems to stand alone and is yet surprisingly under-sold. This totally flabbergasts me! One little tour of Carrara’s interface containing its true wealth of tools and I’ve been hooked ever since. Well, my band is all the way in northeast Wisconsin, but I’d welcome you and your keys on our stage anytime! If your ever near Door County, contact me and I’ll hook you up - I know that you know many of our tunes! smile We’re just a ‘Get-up-and-dance’ pop rock band playing across many years and styles.

Cheers Phil!

Signature 

2 of 3