Digital Art Zone

11 of 23
GenX and DSF Toolbox Updates for DS 4.5
Posted: 12 October 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2008-07-18
Dimension3D - 12 October 2012 01:35 PM

andolaurina 2: Yes and no. I still haven’t found the time to explore the SSS features of Poser 9 in depth. If I do, I might update the Perfect Skin script or do a new script for SSS.

andolaurina 3: It might be reasonable for DS to consider the integration of auto-fit into the DSON Importer. Otherwise, it would require to completely reinvent the system, which probably isn’t worth the effort. You can use the auto-fit feature in DS and export the clothing in DUF format if you want to use it in Poser.

Check out SnarlyGribbly’s EZShader2 which is free over at RDNA.  It’s a good way to get a feel for SSS.  I like EZShader2 but your script has even more pieces that I like.  I nice hybrid of the two would be lovely. smile  I love all your scripts. They are such time savers. I’m not sure there’s much left that you have for sale that I don’t own!

Before EZShader existed, I worked on my own permutation of SSS for Poser. I have some examples that I can share with you if you’d like. I used them on an upcoming product for TY2 that I have coming out.

Signature 

My Free Stuff | My Big Store at CP | My Smaller Store at Renderosity | Prayer | Me on Twitter | Me on DA

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2006-05-25

In regards to GenX, could someone help me figure out how to convert a custom made morph (one that doesn’t use any dial morphs but just one custom injection channel)? It does do that, right?

I went to a friend’s house today to try out GenX and I followed the instructions as best I could but I just couldn’t get it to work. I was trying to convert one of my characters (Nicola) which is a custom head morph. I just wanted to see how well the program worked before I bought it myself and started converting all my custom characters. Could someone write some simple instructions just for converting such a morph so I can see how it works for myself? I’m not at my friend’s house now but I can go back tomorrow if I get some instructions.

Thank you. smile

Signature 

~Lizzie P.
Visit Dream 9 Studios for art, graphic novels, and more.
My RDNA Store | My Renderosity Store
Facebook | Twitter | deviantART

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4673
Joined  2004-08-11
Dimension3D - 12 October 2012 01:35 PM

RAMWolff 1: I don’t know if it is possible to get results for gen 4 shoes that are substantially better than what the auto-fit tool produces. The main problem is that gen 4 people have their feet angled down and Genesis not. The other problem is that (most) shoes have a hard sole, so it would be necessary to detect which polygons are the sole and which not to keep the shape of the sole solid. In short, I think it’s not worth the effort trying ...

RAMWolff 2: If SM and DAZ were not able to implement it with their direct access of the technologies for Poser and DAZ Studio, it’s most likely impossible with the standard Python interface of Poser.

andolaurina 2: Yes and no. I still haven’t found the time to explore the SSS features of Poser 9 in depth. If I do, I might update the Perfect Skin script or do a new script for SSS.

andolaurina 3: It might be reasonable for DS to consider the integration of auto-fit into the DSON Importer. Otherwise, it would require to completely reinvent the system, which probably isn’t worth the effort. You can use the auto-fit feature in DS and export the clothing in DUF format if you want to use it in Poser.

JOdel: It should be possible to improve the transfer of long skirts within auto-fit, but again it would it be much more effort to first build something like auto-fit from ground up and then trying to find a better way to transfer some special cases.

Well if you ever get a hankering for a challenge or two let us know about the shoes and the smoothing collision thing for Poser users.  Thanks for the reply sir!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-18
LizzieP_D9S - 12 October 2012 06:00 PM

In regards to GenX, could someone help me figure out how to convert a custom made morph (one that doesn’t use any dial morphs but just one custom injection channel)? It does do that, right?

I went to a friend’s house today to try out GenX and I followed the instructions as best I could but I just couldn’t get it to work. I was trying to convert one of my characters (Nicola) which is a custom head morph. I just wanted to see how well the program worked before I bought it myself and started converting all my custom characters. Could someone write some simple instructions just for converting such a morph so I can see how it works for myself? I’m not at my friend’s house now but I can go back tomorrow if I get some instructions.

Thank you. smile

I have a bunch of characters for which I’d like to do the same thing. They are V4 characters that are fully custom morphs.  I have the pz2’s with deltas and I need to convert them to Genesis.

Signature 

My Free Stuff | My Big Store at CP | My Smaller Store at Renderosity | Prayer | Me on Twitter | Me on DA

Posted: 12 October 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2004-10-09
andolaurina - 12 October 2012 06:54 PM

Thank you. smile

I have a bunch of characters for which I’d like to do the same thing. They are V4 characters that are fully custom morphs.  I have the pz2’s with deltas and I need to convert them to Genesis.

Here is how I have done this many times:
1. Start DS4
2. Go to the GenX tab
3. Click load figure and load the base figure you want by navigating to the .cr2 file (V4 for example)
4. Click “Apply Pose” and load the .pz2 that has the morph injection in it.
5. All morphs should be listed in the window below, select the ones you want to transfer
6. Click transfer - done
7. load genesis and dial the V4 morph (or for which ever base figure you transferred the morphs from). This is important! The morphs are relative to the base shape so you must dial that first to one.
8. Now locate the new morph in the Generation X section on the parameter tab (under actor).

That should do it. Below is a quick example where I transferred Blackhearted’s GND4 body, which is a one dial custom morph, to Genesis using the above method.
Ciao
TD

Image Attachments
GND4.jpg
 Signature 

I reject your Reality and substitute my Vue!
Check my gallery at DeviantArt

Posted: 12 October 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1704
Joined  2009-08-08

I’ll try that. I’ve got a lot of characters that dragging the poze file into the transfer window does nothing for. I’ve checked the paths and they are all right. But the character pose doesn’t appear to register.

ETA: Nope. Nothing comes in. All the morphs are still at zero value. A couple of checked “Community” morphs show up in the ‘BODY’ heading, but they are at zero value as well.

The character is a fairly extreme morph, so things certainly ought not to be at Zero. The pz2 file opened in a text editor shows an extensive list of deltas, but still nothing comes into the transfer window and selecting ‘Create single morph’ brings up a window saying there are no morphs to transfer.

Posted: 12 October 2012 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  634
Joined  2004-12-14

Is it possible to use the GenX and Gen3 add on pack without using DS4?  I would like to move my favorite Gen3 characters over to Genesis, but I really, really don’t want to deal with DS4 until it gets some documentation.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 12 October 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-10-09
ssgbryan - 12 October 2012 08:38 PM

Is it possible to use the GenX and Gen3 add on pack without using DS4?  I would like to move my favorite Gen3 characters over to Genesis, but I really, really don’t want to deal with DS4 until it gets some documentation.

GenX is DS4 plugin. It does not run outside of it. However, you do not need to do anything inside DS4 except open the GenX tab and then do the transfer. Once the transfer is done, yo can use the morphs in Poser.
TD

Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-18
thd777 - 12 October 2012 08:02 PM
andolaurina - 12 October 2012 06:54 PM

Thank you. smile

Here is how I have done this many times:
1. Start DS4
2. Go to the GenX tab
3. Click load figure and load the base figure you want by navigating to the .cr2 file (V4 for example)
4. Click “Apply Pose” and load the .pz2 that has the morph injection in it.
5. All morphs should be listed in the window below, select the ones you want to transfer
6. Click transfer - done
7. load genesis and dial the V4 morph (or for which ever base figure you transferred the morphs from). This is important! The morphs are relative to the base shape so you must dial that first to one.
8. Now locate the new morph in the Generation X section on the parameter tab (under actor).

That should do it. Below is a quick example where I transferred Blackhearted’s GND4 body, which is a one dial custom morph, to Genesis using the above method.
Ciao
TD

This is very helpful.  Thank you! Now, once you’ve gotten through Step 8, how do you save it out of DAZ Studio 4 so you can legally redistribute the morph for others to use with Genesis?  (meaning, for use by others who use Genesis in DS4.5 as well as Poser DSON users)

Is the best way to save this for redistribution as a pz2 or some other DS file format? I’m not sure how DS4 saves files. In Poser, it involves saving a CR2 and stripping out your custom morph to make a pz2 or using a third-party python script to pull out the morph to make it redistributable.

Also, I assume that if you use GenX to port over a V4 morph that you can only redistribute the delta difference between Genesis+V4 and that you can’t embed the V4 morph into your exported Genesis morph, even if you custom-sculpted the morph for V4. Is that right? Am I making sense?

Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-10-09
andolaurina - 13 October 2012 12:00 AM

This is very helpful.  Thank you! Now, once you’ve gotten through Step 8, how do you save it out of DAZ Studio 4 so you can legally redistribute the morph for others to use with Genesis?  (meaning, for use by others who use Genesis in DS4.5 as well as Poser DSON users)

Is the best way to save this for redistribution as a pz2 or some other DS file format? I’m not sure how DS4 saves files. In Poser, it involves saving a CR2 and stripping out your custom morph to make a pz2 or using a third-party python script to pull out the morph to make it redistributable.

Also, I assume that if you use GenX to port over a V4 morph that you can only redistribute the delta difference between Genesis+V4 and that you can’t embed the V4 morph into your exported Genesis morph, even if you custom-sculpted the morph for V4. Is that right? Am I making sense?

Morphs for Genesis are somewhat differently set up and distributed as those for V4 or other poser figures. They are installed directly into your Genesis setup into the “data” folder rather than added later via an injection.  The files that GenX produces for V4 can be found in (if you use a standard path): My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/D3D Gen X/Victoria 4
They are in the form of .dsf files and you can move them to another computer and put them into the same directory structure and they work. So to redistribute your morph you would just have to package up the directory with your .dsf files made by GenX. GenX does not include the V4 shape into into the morph (that’s why you need to dial it up separately) thus as long as the transferred morph is solely your creation, you should be fine. If you want you can also dial up the morph and save a shape file for the user to quickly apply it. However you will still need to have the data folder .dsf files. The shape file just tells DS4 how to set the morphs. If the destination is Poser you would also need to generate the Poser companion files as described in the online manual. I hope I didn’t tell you too much that you already knew.
Ciao
TD

Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

That’s perfect. I know positively nothing about DS4 other than opening it a few times, loading some stuff and poking around.  This was just what I needed. With this, plus the python D3D put together, I think we Poser users now have what we need to give this a go.

Thanks for all your help & details. Very kind of you!

Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9315
Joined  2007-11-06

Bear in mind that you cannot distribute morphs brought over with GenX if you didn’t create the original morph.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 13 October 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

Yep. That’s what I do. Original custom-sculpted morphs.

Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1311
Joined  2009-01-09
andolaurina - 13 October 2012 01:46 PM

Yep. That’s what I do. Original custom-sculpted morphs.

For what it’s worth, I used GenX to transfer over your AA John and AA Michelangelo head morphs, and didn’t have any particular difficulty. I used the “Create Single Morph” option for the Actor/Head area, since they’re only head morphs, and they appeared in the GenerationX/Michael 4/Head section and functioned as expected.

One thing to note, and I hope I’m not overstepping or stating the obvious: if you want end products that can be used in both Studio and Poser, you’ll need to output both DSF or DUF and PZ* files. (I’m guessing that Poser will still prefer PZ files, even when dealing with DSONed Genesis stuff.) Studio doesn’t know what to do with PZ files that try to deal with Genesis morphs.

Image Attachments
michelangelo-john-02.png
 Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 13 October 2012 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

That’s super-helpful, vwrangler. I was actually assuming that DS would know what to do with a pz2.

(and thanks for getting AA John & Michaelangelo! grin )

Signature 

11 of 23