GenX and DSF Toolbox Updates for DS 4.5
Posted: 30 September 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4022
Joined  2004-08-11
riftwitch - 30 September 2012 07:10 PM
RAMWolff - 30 September 2012 06:39 PM

I have Gen X but can’t find where it’s hidden in DS.  It shows that the plugin is loaded successfully in the plugins area under Help menu.  Can someone PLEASE direct me to where D3D put this?

You should be able to right-click in the gray area below any existing tabs, and add it from the ‘add pane’ drop-down. I’ve had to do that with a few things.

THANKS.  Why isn’t it in the main Window>Tabs list though.  That’s really messed up.  I wrote Ralf for help.  I’ll write him and let him know it’s sort of solved.  Thanks again!  grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

RAMWorks Freebies

Pan Project

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  845
Joined  2012-02-03
RAMWolff - 30 September 2012 07:20 PM
riftwitch - 30 September 2012 07:10 PM
RAMWolff - 30 September 2012 06:39 PM

I have Gen X but can’t find where it’s hidden in DS.  It shows that the plugin is loaded successfully in the plugins area under Help menu.  Can someone PLEASE direct me to where D3D put this?

You should be able to right-click in the gray area below any existing tabs, and add it from the ‘add pane’ drop-down. I’ve had to do that with a few things.

THANKS.  Why isn’t it in the main Window>Tabs list though.  That’s really messed up.  I wrote Ralf for help.  I’ll write him and let him know it’s sort of solved.  Thanks again!  grin

You’re welcome. I think when I installed it on my machine, the GenX tab was showing the next time I started Studio. I never thought to look in the Window>Tabs list.

Posted: 01 October 2012 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  263
Joined  2004-02-15

Mosk the Scribe: I’m not aware of other video tutorials for GenX. The DSF Toolbox has tools to create and modify content in DSF format. I don’t think that it will be of help for actual incompatibilities with Carrara.

RAMWolff: If GenX is missing under Windows > Tabs, this is usually due to menu customization. Use Edit > Customize to add the GenX tab wherever you like. It should be located under Panels on the left side.

Posted: 02 October 2012 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  341
Joined  2008-07-18

Does GenX (and the appropriate plugins for M4, v4, and generation 3 characters) allow you to use expressions from the old characters on Genesis?

If so, can someone explain how?

I’ve added V4 and V4 Morphs ++ (body and head) to Genesis.  But when I double click on an expression with Genesis loaded, nothing happens.

Similarly, if I inject a character head or body, I don’t see any changes.

Thanks for any help.

Posted: 05 October 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

Expression are just a kind of morphs. So, you can transfer the morphs to Genesis and then use them on Genesis. Because the expression morphs are defined relative to the donor figure (e.g. V4), they will work best when Genesis is morphed to the according shape. Like all morphs, they may work in other cases as well.

Expressions in the library are a kind of poses, they just set values for expression morphs. You can’t apply them directly to Genesis. To use an expression or character pose for the original figure (e.g. V4) on Genesis, you need two things. First, you have to transfer the required morphs to Genesis. For V4 expressions, this are mainly morphs from the base figure. Second, you have to translate the expression or pose file into a DSF shaping preset that sets the values for the transferred morphs in Genesis. This is done easily with the “Presets” tab of Genesis.

Posted: 11 October 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1545
Joined  2005-04-15

Not sure if this should be spun off into a new topic, but am I correct in assuming that anything one has transferred via GenX can then be transferred via the new DSON importer for Poser?  http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dson-importer-for-poser 

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 11 October 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

As far as I tried, the morphs transferred by GenX load with Genesis and work well when using the DSON importer for Poser.

I’m not sure whether there is a way to load the DSF files created by GenX in Poser to set the morph dial values, I will try to find out ...

Posted: 11 October 2012 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1545
Joined  2005-04-15
Dimension3D - 11 October 2012 03:38 PM

As far as I tried, the morphs transferred by GenX load with Genesis and work well when using the DSON importer for Poser.

I’m not sure whether there is a way to load the DSF files created by GenX in Poser to set the morph dial values, I will try to find out ...

Thanks for the prompt response!  I’d assumed that one could use the Dson converter to make items compatible but hadn’t really gotten as far as thinking about the dials yet. Too busy drooling about the idea of finally being about to mix Genesis with poser’s dynamic hair and and cloth room…

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

I made a small Poser Python script to import DSON files into Poser without requiring companion files. It can be used to apply the DSF or DUF shaping presets generated by Genesis Generation X to a Genesis figure imported into Poser with DSON Importer.

The script can be downloaded here: DSON Loader.

Posted: 12 October 2012 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4921
Joined  2006-02-20
Dimension3D - 12 October 2012 06:31 AM

I made a small Poser Python script to import DSON files into Poser without requiring companion files. It can be used to apply the DSF or DUF shaping presets generated by Genesis Generation X to a Genesis figure imported into Poser with DSON Importer.

The script can be downloaded here: DSON Loader.

You are my hero!

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 12 October 2012 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4022
Joined  2004-08-11

Couple of questions for you D3D…..

1) Are you able to figure out a script for DAZ Studio that would help get Gen 4 shoes, boots and high heels converted over to Genesis??

2) Are you able to create a script that would add Smoothing and Collision into Poser for those that use Poser with this new fabulous DSON Poser tech that DS3D and SmithMicro created?  States in the info that those are the two things they were not able to do for what ever reason.  Without smoothing and collision .... some clothing may not fit nicely enough and that would be a shame for the Poser community.  I really love this feature in DS!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

RAMWorks Freebies

Pan Project

Posted: 12 October 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2008-07-18

D3D,

(1) This is terrific. I’m a die-hard Poser user so this is great news. Thanks for creating the DSON python. Much appreciated.

(2) Off-topic: Have you thought about updating Perfect Skin for SSS? Love that product although now I use EZSkin2, too.

3) And, since you’re incredibly well-versed in P2012 & DS4, do you think it will be possible/plausible to tackle autofit of older clothes (e.g. v4) to Genesis within Poser?

Signature 

My Free Stuff | My Big Store at CP | My Smaller Store at Renderosity | Prayer | Me on Twitter | Me on DA

Posted: 12 October 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1432
Joined  2009-08-08

Long skirts are another thing that autofit mangles, and there isn’t an option for them. Just knee-length, so the lower skirt tends to get crumpled.

Posted: 12 October 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

RAMWolff 1: I don’t know if it is possible to get results for gen 4 shoes that are substantially better than what the auto-fit tool produces. The main problem is that gen 4 people have their feet angled down and Genesis not. The other problem is that (most) shoes have a hard sole, so it would be necessary to detect which polygons are the sole and which not to keep the shape of the sole solid. In short, I think it’s not worth the effort trying ...

RAMWolff 2: If SM and DAZ were not able to implement it with their direct access of the technologies for Poser and DAZ Studio, it’s most likely impossible with the standard Python interface of Poser.

andolaurina 2: Yes and no. I still haven’t found the time to explore the SSS features of Poser 9 in depth. If I do, I might update the Perfect Skin script or do a new script for SSS.

andolaurina 3: It might be reasonable for DS to consider the integration of auto-fit into the DSON Importer. Otherwise, it would require to completely reinvent the system, which probably isn’t worth the effort. You can use the auto-fit feature in DS and export the clothing in DUF format if you want to use it in Poser.

JOdel: It should be possible to improve the transfer of long skirts within auto-fit, but again it would it be much more effort to first build something like auto-fit from ground up and then trying to find a better way to transfer some special cases.

Posted: 12 October 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2187
Joined  2005-09-05
JOdel - 12 October 2012 12:14 PM

Long skirts are another thing that autofit mangles, and there isn’t an option for them. Just knee-length, so the lower skirt tends to get crumpled.

More stretching then crumpled these days it keeps improving. I’ve found playing with the settings once smoothing is added helps. A bigger issue is when items are not welded together and start to separate .

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

10 of 23