Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
Plugin update status for DS 4.5
Posted: 16 August 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-05-06

Sounds very good and is already downloaded, but will not be installed until at least Reality is updated.
I loved to play around with the first Betas and the possibility to connect to C8.5 but had to switch back to use my PlugIns.
Will there be a thread where those updates will be announced (no discussion, simply posting the actual updates)?
I am waiting at least for GenX and Reality until I can update.

Posted: 16 August 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2003-10-09
FroschGott - 16 August 2012 04:15 PM

Sounds very good and is already downloaded, but will not be installed until at least Reality is updated.
I loved to play around with the first Betas and the possibility to connect to C8.5 but had to switch back to use my PlugIns.
Will there be a thread where those updates will be announced (no discussion, simply posting the actual updates)?
I am waiting at least for GenX and Reality until I can update.

100% agreed.  That’s exactly what is needed ... BUT ... this situation shouldn’t have arisen in the first place!

At this point 4.5 is just not useable for anybody who has existing 4.x plugins and this is a problem that I blame 100% on inept software development practices at DAZ. By insisting that, for every version released (whether it be a major build or point release) plugin developers have to recompile and link their code, DAZ have basically created an unsupportable product.

Sorry to everyone who worked hard on this build, but it’s true.

Posted: 16 August 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2005-11-24

... well it’s all excellent, in theory, but until all relevant plugins and shaders have been updated, I’ll stick to DS4/DS3/DS2…..

There is simply too much change in this version and not enough plugin/shader support.  We can only run one version instead of side by side installations. The usual DAZ format is ousted in favour of something utterly different. And on top of that, we are told that things we’ve already saved might or might not work.
Well DAZ, sorry, but no deal. Not going through the DS3 to DS4 debacle again. I started losing interest after that happened.

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2007-08-27
acanthis - 16 August 2012 04:35 PM

At this point 4.5 is just not useable for anybody who has existing 4.x plugins and this is a problem that I blame 100% on inept software development practices at DAZ. By insisting that, for every version released (whether it be a major build or point release) plugin developers have to recompile and link their code, DAZ have basically created an unsupportable product.

Some changes, as I understood it, neeeded SDK changes. It is those changes which required the updating of plug-ins. During each update, plugin developers have been notified. Naturally not everything will be available at the same time. When Windows 7 was released, there were plenty drivers which needed updating.

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-04-28

Awesome!  And for the record, most plugins (such as reality) already have updates.  They just weren’t going to be released until 4.5 was an official stable release.  It’s just being thorough.

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-27
SophiD - 16 August 2012 04:55 PM

... well it’s all excellent, in theory, but until all relevant plugins and shaders have been updated, I’ll stick to DS4/DS3/DS2…..

There is simply too much change in this version and not enough plugin/shader support.  We can only run one version instead of side by side installations. The usual DAZ format is ousted in favour of something utterly different. And on top of that, we are told that things we’ve already saved might or might not work.
Well DAZ, sorry, but no deal. Not going through the DS3 to DS4 debacle again. I started losing interest after that happened.

One can still load .daz format scenes, but it can only be saved in the new format (DUF). However, some things can be saved in older formats, e.g. presets. Like everything else, 3rd party content will get updated by their respective creators.

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2005-11-24
WayOfTheSword - 16 August 2012 05:12 PM

Awesome!  And for the record, most plugins (such as reality) already have updates.  They just weren’t going to be released until 4.5 was an official stable release.  It’s just being thorough.

glad to hear that.

Will the plugins be reset through DAZ, or will we have to hunt them down again in a vastly horrific Itemised Order History??

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-27
WayOfTheSword - 16 August 2012 05:12 PM

That is my understanding as well.

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2003-10-09

My version 4 (pro version bought before DAZ give it free) working good with my plugins (ex Reality) and ancient files

I have downloaded version 4,5 but i think i will not install for now because it necessitate new versions of plugins and i am not sure that old scenes will be able to load
‘i have known this issue with a past version and i had hate this situation

May be i will past 4,5 and wait for version 5
I hesitate: I really don’t like incertitude about back compatibility

If i could install version 4,5 and still continue to use version 4 Maybe i would take chance with new version I am sure i am not alone with this consideration

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7546
Joined  2006-03-19

Thread split from the 4.5 announcement thread. You can voice your concerns here and not in an official release thread which would violate the TOS in regards to disrupting commercial threads.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-04-28
Martial - 16 August 2012 05:20 PM

My version 4 (pro version bought before DAZ give it free) working good with my plugins (ex Reality) and ancient files

I have downloaded version 4,5 but i think i will not install for now because it necessitate new versions of plugins and i am not sure that old scenes will be able to load
‘i have known this issue with a past version and i had hate this situation

May be i will past 4,5 and wait for version 5
I hesitate: I really don’t like incertitude about back compatibility

If i could install version 4,5 and still continue to use version 4 Maybe i would take chance with new version I am sure i am not alone with this consideration

You can load old files from 4.0 into 4.5.  I never had a problem with any of mine in 4.5rc3.  But once you save as as a .duf file, those cannot be loaded into daz4.0.

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  2010-01-23

Is there by any chance a list of updated plug-ins?  I can’t actually remember which plug-ins I’ve bought and may need to be reset, versus which came with DS4Pro and will appear automatically in the download list.

Posted: 16 August 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
MelanieL - 16 August 2012 05:32 PM

Is there by any chance a list of updated plug-ins?  I can’t actually remember which plug-ins I’ve bought and may need to be reset, versus which came with DS4Pro and will appear automatically in the download list.

It’s in the 4.5 Info as a link on the Commons I think.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 16 August 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  2010-01-23

Thanks - just what I needed (was it in that post originally?  Maybe I need better glasses!)

Posted: 17 August 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5356
Joined  2005-08-29
WayOfTheSword - 16 August 2012 05:30 PM

You can load old files from 4.0 into 4.5.  I never had a problem with any of mine in 4.5rc3.  But once you save as as a .duf file, those cannot be loaded into daz4.0.

That’s because .duf was not implemented in 4.0. I agree on the plugin part, but I guess most will show up in a few days, shaders too, but duf is such a leap ahead, I cant say this enough, .duf is vital to make your own home render farm for DS, as long as you dont render using 3Delight standalone renders.

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 17 August 2012 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5605
Joined  2006-02-20

The links to the updated plutins and shaders are going to the store ...
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/software/plugins-utilities?compat_software=99
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/software/shaders-materials?compat_software=99
Now to find out which ones I bought and have to reset.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

1 of 5