2 of 9
Everything to do with Lighting in Bryce 7.1
Posted: 28 August 2012 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 28 August 2012 01:16 AM

IBL influence controls here…

Ah yes, that’s right, I should have remembered that. Thanks.

Posted: 28 August 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2696
Joined  2004-07-06

Bryce “Nuts and Bolts” - TA optimised radial lights advanced - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

Image Attachments
Gel_TA_light_test1.jpgGel_TA_light_test2.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Well since I’m still waiting for an answer on how to get the Stanford Dragon into Bryce to do the Dragon in a box tutorial I had to put that one on hold. In the meantime I tackled the Desert landscape tutorial and here is my result. I’m pleased with it although I couldn’t get it to do exactly what I wanted it to do.

On a side note I had a devil of a time on that part where you make the sand in the material more uniform. You said (and in the text box too) to cntrl + left click to get to the right controls. Well I don’t know if that was a mistake or some systems are different, but after trying ctrl + left click for 20 minutes and failing to get the appropriate reaction from Bryce, I finally succeeded by using alt instead of ctrl. So either it’s actually alt left click or it varies based on the configuration a person is using computer wise

Image Attachments
Desert_Scene_with_Volume_Clouds.jpg

Posted: 29 August 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
LordHardDriven - 28 August 2012 10:21 PM

Well since I’m still waiting for an answer on how to get the Stanford Dragon into Bryce to do the Dragon in a box tutorial I had to put that one on hold. In the meantime I tackled the Desert landscape tutorial and here is my result. I’m pleased with it although I couldn’t get it to do exactly what I wanted it to do.

On a side note I had a devil of a time on that part where you make the sand in the material more uniform. You said (and in the text box too) to cntrl + left click to get to the right controls. Well I don’t know if that was a mistake or some systems are different, but after trying ctrl + left click for 20 minutes and failing to get the appropriate reaction from Bryce, I finally succeeded by using alt instead of ctrl. So either it’s actually alt left click or it varies based on the configuration a person is using computer wise

Maybe the email bounced, but I posted you yesterday about the Stanford Dragon.

And yes you are right about the colour controls, I will update the video, thanks.  At least it tells me it is worth putting things like that in - not mistakes I mean things like accessing the colour menus.

Edit.  OK I’ve rerendered the video - with the correction, but youtube will not let me update the video.  So I’ve added the amendment to the text.  And I’ve passed an updated video over to Horo for inclusion in the DVD2 compilation.

Also, I meant to say how well your following the tutorial came out.  And if nothing else sticks in your memory, at least now you will know how to access the colour menus?

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 29 August 2012 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 29 August 2012 01:42 AM

And yes you are right about the colour controls, I will update the video, thanks.  At least it tells me it is worth putting things like that in - not mistakes I mean things like accessing the colour menus.

Ah the email may have gotten thru I have a bad habit of not checking my email unless I am expecting something. Comes from growing up in the snail mail era I think. smile

I just checked and yep, it was there, thanks.

Posted: 29 August 2012 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Another TA boost light test using TA optimised radial light sources with gels.

Image Attachments
TA_boost_rad_op_landscape_test2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 29 August 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

More about lighting Bryce 25 minute lighting project - upgrading advanced lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Image Attachments
Test_landscape5_withpost.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 29 August 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 29 August 2012 01:42 AM

Edit.  OK I’ve rerendered the video - with the correction, but youtube will not let me update the video.  So I’ve added the amendment to the text.  And I’ve passed an updated video over to Horo for inclusion in the DVD2 compilation.

Also, I meant to say how well your following the tutorial came out.  And if nothing else sticks in your memory, at least now you will know how to access the colour menus?

Well thanks, I did have to go back and replay certain parts a few times to see how you got things the way you did but your tutorials are quite good and fairly easy to follow if there are no things needing correction. smile I’m learning alot though and if I keep at it one day I might even pass for a Bryce artist. smile

Posted: 29 August 2012 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2006-05-26

David,
I haven’t had time to watch any of the new videos over the last couple of days but I must say I am very pleased with the results you are achieving. I am indeed pleased as well to see you discovering the merits of Boost Light especially in relation to HDRI, why I’ve been so certain about its benefits despite the noise. Looks like you’ve made good sense of outsmarting the noise. The contrast levels in these images are perfect. I’m really happy with these results. Please do keep them coming!

Mark,
I think the landscape looks very nice. That sky is outstanding as is the overall mood.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 29 August 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Rashad Carter - 29 August 2012 02:27 PM

Mark,
I think the landscape looks very nice. That sky is outstanding as is the overall mood.

Thanks but all that is really attributable to David, the Sky for example, per the tutorial, is copied directly from one of the scenes in David’s Bryce Pro Cloud Scapes. The mood is really all David too since every aspect of the scene is spelled out by his tutorial.

Posted: 29 August 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
Rashad Carter - 29 August 2012 02:27 PM

David,
I haven’t had time to watch any of the new videos over the last couple of days but I must say I am very pleased with the results you are achieving. I am indeed pleased as well to see you discovering the merits of Boost Light especially in relation to HDRI, why I’ve been so certain about its benefits despite the noise. Looks like you’ve made good sense of outsmarting the noise. The contrast levels in these images are perfect. I’m really happy with these results. Please do keep them coming!

I do listen sometimes… but in this case Boost Light is being used with ambient driven TA optimised gels - in a rather dubious way I seem to have inadvertently discovered/invented.  There is too much contrast in most HDRI to let it function with Boost light.  When you see the last batch that focus on this feature, I think you will be surprised to see how it works.  And it works better than it seems to have any right to work.

Things to do to modify contrast, boost light, don’t boost light, gamma correction on/off.  If you have too much colour (and now that is possible) turn off boost light and turn on gamma correction.  I know it sounds balmy… but these global ambient driven TA gel lights work in curious ways.

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Digging deeper - here are some half unexpected findings Bryce “Nuts and Bolts” - TA RGB response - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

Image Attachments
Dragon_TA_test5.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2006-05-26

The dragons look fantastic. However there seems to be a bit of a logical error. Why is it that I can see six different colored dragons but in the reflections from the floor there are only three colors each seen twice? At first I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me but alas I think its definitely part of the image. It’s probably explained just fine in the video, when I get around to watching it I will let you know.

On TA Optimized Light sources, it should be stated that the idea behind these lights lends itself to the direction I think you are heading in. PJF originally came up with the idea with his glowing objects tutorial from Bryce6 regarding TA. It operated by using Ambience to create bright spheres TA could use to bounce around. When we developed the new TA that was diffuse driven, the ambient channel became what it should have been, it became the diffuse multiplier of sorts which should make ambient driven TA optimized light sources quite versatile. I literally have to thank PJF for the idea which I then took to another level and implemented it as a full feature.

The results you are getting are compelling to say the least. I think you may have stumbled upon a new and better way to get more accuracy out of TA. Brilliant work good sir. I look forward to your further discoveries/inventions.

In some ways these are exciting times because enough time has passed that people are beginning to look at the new features and seeing what they can really do. I’m excited.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 30 August 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Thanks Rashad, yes the inconsistency you correctly observed is central to the topic of RGB response.

Here’s another Bryce 20 scene lighting project - Using IBL with boost light and TA gels - by David Brinnen

Here this issue with noise, disproportionate RGB response, IBL incompatibility and boost light, is overcome - by quite a devious strategy.

Image Attachments
Example_scene_setup4.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 30 August 2012 03:21 AM

Digging deeper - here are some half unexpected findings Bryce “Nuts and Bolts” - TA RGB response - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

I love the richness of the colors.

2 of 9