Digital Art Zone

8 of 9
Everything to do with Lighting in Bryce 7.1
Posted: 07 September 2012 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2006-02-02

I find Mr. Brinnens tutorial instructional ALL the time. I never get all the information, but allways learn someting AND have ideas of my own on have to do certain things. Now if I only could afford a pc wich were strong enough for the Studio bridge…...

Posted: 08 September 2012 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3538
Joined  2004-10-01

@Sara16 - those renders look very nice. My question is: where are the shadows?

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 08 September 2012 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

@LordHardDriven - this lake scene came out very nicely.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 08 September 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2012-03-25
Horo - 08 September 2012 02:46 AM

@Sara16 - those renders look very nice. My question is: where are the shadows?

Good question thanks for asking smile

It was deliberately done to control exactly how I wanted the final render to be although for example I did allow shadows on the left side only in that city scene since that should not effect the main perspective I’ll be focused on (front) and these scenes will be brief (no more than 5 seconds) with possible pan/zoom effects done in Sony Vegas.

In another scene (interior) most if not all shadows are turned off again all these scenes are quick takes at no more than 5 seconds per-scene -  transition to many other scenes. * Importantly; I’ll be using PIP and other effects in those scenes using Sony Vegas and any shadowing will most likely cause unwanted issues for example; when I use PIP effects I would have to match existing shadows and this is what I want to avoid.

I also wanted some scenes to have a clear crisp look to begin with (you can add haze and such but cannot remove once it’s rendered) thereby I also lowered the atmosphere settings (haze and such) in some of the scenes I will be using. PIP, chromakey, lighting and other effects will be done in Sony Vegas.

Posted: 08 September 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

I see. I didn’t know your target application. Shadows do indeed add to the render time.

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2012 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
Horo - 08 September 2012 02:46 AM

@LordHardDriven - this lake scene came out very nicely.

Thanks, that means alot coming from you. Yeah I was pretty pleased with it myself, it came out very close to what David made, the only thing I can think of to improve it would be to get your HDRI one pack so I can have the better HDRI to work with (since it’s the background as well as HDRI light. That and maybe some guy in a row boat fishing. smile

Posted: 08 September 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

BTW - I’m reducing Lucy, 1st step. Not yet finished. The machine has been constantly on the HD since 25 hours, CPU usage 1 to 2%, Memory at 7.9 GB of 8.0. How long did it take for you?

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Horo - 08 September 2012 10:39 AM

BTW - I’m reducing Lucy, 1st step. Not yet finished. The machine has been constantly on the HD since 25 hours, CPU usage 1 to 2%, Memory at 7.9 GB of 8.0. How long did it take for you?

Less then a minute for each reduction. When I did it however I converted to .obj first and then did the reductions.

Posted: 08 September 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2012-03-25

@ Horo

Thanks for the compliment, greatly appreciated smile

Posted: 08 September 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2598
Joined  2004-07-06
LordHardDriven - 07 September 2012 02:34 PM

Okay well I’ve managed to get another one of David’s fine tutorials under my belt, this time it was the simple lake scene and below is my result. Now I wasn’t able to do the best I could since just like one of the previous tutorials I had to go with a low resolution version of the same HDRI as my only choice since I don’t own HDRI pack one. I’m so glad Horo included these with Bryce though so I can follow along fairly close. If you start using some of the ones he’s created after Bryce though I’ll be in trouble. It’s not too bad though, between the low resolution and the glare from the sun it gives the background kind of a DOF effect.

One other comment, I as well as others have somewhat complained about how hard it can be to follow your tutorials David. I’m finding now though that as I do more of them and get more used to your voice and how you do things, I’m able to follow along easier. So based on that I say just keep doing things they way you’re doing them and like me hopefully others will acclimate themselves to your ways in time.

Looking good Mark, I’ve got to say I’m impressed with the precision you are getting with your results.

I suppose the way I do things tends always towards trying to get the most out of the each object or setting.  So it is not the simplest in terms of execution, but once things are set up, scenes can be scaled more easily because the problems in the scene have been solved not by the objects within the scene but by the way their are lit by their environment and the materials that are applied to them.  Now you have your lake scene set up, you should be in a position to make changes to the sun position, landscape shape and camera position without totally breaking your scene.  It should, after a fashion, still “work”.  When I first began using Bryce, my scene set up was very temperamental, and any changes - even slight ones - I made would ruin the scene.  Now I work hard to build in flexibility and make components more reusable.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 08 September 2012 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 08 September 2012 01:07 PM

Looking good Mark, I’ve got to say I’m impressed with the precision you are getting with your results.

I suppose the way I do things tends always towards trying to get the most out of the each object or setting.  So it is not the simplest in terms of execution, but once things are set up, scenes can be scaled more easily because the problems in the scene have been solved not by the objects within the scene but by the way their are lit by their environment and the materials that are applied to them.  Now you have your lake scene set up, you should be in a position to make changes to the sun position, landscape shape and camera position without totally breaking your scene.  It should, after a fashion, still “work”.  When I first began using Bryce, my scene set up was very temperamental, and any changes - even slight ones - I made would ruin the scene.  Now I work hard to build in flexibility and make components more reusable.

Thanks, I try to do things as exactly as possible, sometimes that means going back and relooking at/replaying a part of the tutorial to have the sun in the same position, the terrain as close to the same shape, the material-render-skylab settings exactly the same. I mean in your tutorial for adjusting say the haze height, you might do that in the haze window but if I can get a glimpse of the numbers everything is set at in the skylab, material lab, terrain editor, etc I’ll make sure it’s the same on mine.

Of course this need to adhere so exactly to things isn’t always good, like today I was frustrated when looking to do the lighthouse tutorial because I don’t own Cloudscapes 7 - Night Clouds. I also backed off on doing the abstract tutorial because I think there it might be more important to have the exact same HDRI rather then a free lorez version. Also it kind of scared me seeing your machine struggle a bit more then normal. ohh Whatever your’s does mine’s usually 4 times worse. vampire

Posted: 09 September 2012 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Having checked Mark, neither the clouds nor the resolution of the HDRI are central to the tutorials.  Any cloud slab could be employed, or none, the key point was to show that the two effects could co-exist.  Night clouds, seemed a logical choice for this scene - but any night sky would do.  And for the HDRI, any resolution version of the same HDRI will provide the same light, the only thing that will suffer is the resolution of the background image.  Given the abstract nature of this scene, you need not worry overly on that score, since the image is not a significant feature.  The render time, however, yes, due to the Max ray depth setting ... that might give your CPU pause for thought.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 10 September 2012 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 09 September 2012 01:30 AM

Having checked Mark, neither the clouds nor the resolution of the HDRI are central to the tutorials.  Any cloud slab could be employed, or none, the key point was to show that the two effects could co-exist.  Night clouds, seemed a logical choice for this scene - but any night sky would do.  And for the HDRI, any resolution version of the same HDRI will provide the same light, the only thing that will suffer is the resolution of the background image.  Given the abstract nature of this scene, you need not worry overly on that score, since the image is not a significant feature.  The render time, however, yes, due to the Max ray depth setting ... that might give your CPU pause for thought.

Yeah but I’m not really at the point of creating my own cloud slabs yet. I’d like to understand more about making them first. smile Also I already had some other changes in mind and so didn’t want to make things too different. Otherwise comparing my results would become even more difficult. Like for example, I’m interested in using the lighting aspect of the lamp you used to create the lighthouse but I’d like to adapt it to work with either of the two lighthouses below. The one on the left is from Alfons Blom and either it came in Bryce 7 pro as part of the free content or I got it from some place like sharecg. The other one is made for Bryce by Phillip Drawbridge, that I purchase way back when Daz first aquired Bryce.

I’m leaning more towards the one on the left as it would work better in the scene describe by the tutorial then the one on the right. I guess I could just try to wing it but I don’t feel confident enough with Bryce yet to just wing it. I’m not yet at the point of visualization of a scene in my mind and being able to know how to realize that visualization in Bryce.

Image Attachments
lighthouses.jpg

Posted: 10 September 2012 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

If you use the left one, you’ll have to open the shades. The right one has already glass windows.

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

The one on the right is more interesting geometrically, but the one on the left more like the one in the tutorial…  Which hasn’t really helped you chose has it?  Sorry.

Signature 

8 of 9