Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Daz Studio 4 on linux - Ubuntu 12.04 (playoninux)
Posted: 11 August 2012 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2009-10-15

Hi all,

I recently switched over to linux and decided I want to try and get my Daz 3D working on it as well. This takes me one step closer to removing the dual boot into windows I have.

I managed to install Daz 4 on playonlinux, the setup for Daz completes, but the setup for the content management system fails.
Daz runs after the installation, showing me Genisis and the rendering seem to work as well, but without the cms installed I have none of the basic content that comes with Genisis.

If anyone was able to get Daz 4 running on Linux please help me out with this.

Posted: 11 August 2012 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15798
Joined  2003-10-09

Kendall sears is running DS (32 bit) under Linux, though I can’t recall what flavour. I’m pretty sure he is using the CMS too, though I think he has made some changes to it. In the meantime, the CMS is needed for the Smart Content pane and for the Categories and Product listings - however, you should have no trouble accessing your content with the Content Library pane under Poser formats and DAZ Studio formats.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 11 August 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
Marchosius - 11 August 2012 01:55 AM

Hi all,

I recently switched over to linux and decided I want to try and get my Daz 3D working on it as well. This takes me one step closer to removing the dual boot into windows I have.

I managed to install Daz 4 on playonlinux, the setup for Daz completes, but the setup for the content management system fails.
Daz runs after the installation, showing me Genisis and the rendering seem to work as well, but without the cms installed I have none of the basic content that comes with Genisis.

If anyone was able to get Daz 4 running on Linux please help me out with this.

DS4 runs perfectly under Wine.  PoL sometimes doesn’t get things exactly right.  Personally, I use the default Wine installs from the distros under Fedora and Ubuntu.  Like Richard said, I have modified CMS to add more features, but the CMS runs just fine “out of the box.”  One thing to try would be to create a new bottle and use winetricks to install the vcrun2005, and vcrun2010.  Afterwards, install DS4.

Also note that your firewall under Ubuntu may get in way if you’ve got it set too tightly.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 11 August 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2008-07-07

You also don’t need the smart content management systemn to find your content - it’s all still in the usual DS3-style Content tab. Of course if you prefer the smart content, that’s small consolation, but it’s still accessable.

Signature 

DAZ Published Artist

View my DAZ3D product store!

Posted: 12 August 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-15

I saw that the basic content was available under the content tab, so I will just do things that way.
What would be the best format to download my purchases in now? Would it be better to get the mac version of the files?
Just un-zip the files and move them to the right directory for my content or should I still go the windows way and install the content by runing the exe?

Posted: 12 August 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9702
Joined  2007-11-06

The Mac version is an installer as well—if the content has been repacked in plain zips without installers it’ll be a single download, not separate Mac and Win.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 12 August 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Marchosius - 12 August 2012 08:57 AM

I saw that the basic content was available under the content tab, so I will just do things that way.
What would be the best format to download my purchases in now? Would it be better to get the mac version of the files?
Just un-zip the files and move them to the right directory for my content or should I still go the windows way and install the content by runing the exe?

You need the Windows installers.  Just make sure that you run them in the same bottle as your DS.  It is very easy under PoL to accidentally create a new bottle when installing content.

Kendall.

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 13 August 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-15

Ok so i have played a bit in the interface, loaded a cene and some content for Gen, clothes, hair, poses. at some points it takes a bit time to load the content and attach them to the figures. Now I am rendering the scene but it seems to takes it sweet time with the hair.

Is there a way to boost the memory usage for daz? either through wine or daz it self?

8gig ram, i7 and GTX550ti graphics card, it should not take that long

Posted: 13 August 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Marchosius - 13 August 2012 12:44 PM

Ok so i have played a bit in the interface, loaded a cene and some content for Gen, clothes, hair, poses. at some points it takes a bit time to load the content and attach them to the figures. Now I am rendering the scene but it seems to takes it sweet time with the hair.

Is there a way to boost the memory usage for daz? either through wine or daz it self?

8gig ram, i7 and GTX550ti graphics card, it should not take that long

For speeding up the the hair, apply the ubersurface shader and turn off the raytracing and ambient occlusion.

As far a memory goes, no.  You’re still using the 32 bit version and you’re limited by the limitations of Win32.  We are getting closer to a workable Win64.

You can always download the Linux 3delight and render natively by having DS4 output .RIB files (you’ll need to use collected mode and change some paths)  Then you can render at full speed and 64 bits.  This is what I do in most cases.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-15

I take it you use the free licence for the linux 3d delight? convertion rate wil kill my country’s economy lol

so all i do then is save my cene as a RIB file and render it through that then?
Any special way I should up 3d delight?

Posted: 13 August 2012 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-15

I am having some trouble installing 3delight on my ubuntu 12.04 system following the readme provided in the download. I cant find any other install documentation for this in 12.04

EDIT: The error i am getting is

bash: .3delight_csh: line 103: syntax error near unexpected token `(’
bash: .3delight_csh: line 103: `  set path = ($DELIGHT/bin $path)’

This is when I run “source .3delight_csh”

Posted: 13 August 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Marchosius - 13 August 2012 01:57 PM

I am having some trouble installing 3delight on my ubuntu 12.04 system following the readme provided in the download. I cant find any other install documentation for this in 12.04

EDIT: The error i am getting is

bash: .3delight_csh: line 103: syntax error near unexpected token `(’
bash: .3delight_csh: line 103: `  set path = ($DELIGHT/bin $path)’

This is when I run “source .3delight_csh”

OK.  Under Ubuntu you’re more likely using bash than csh.  so you’ll want to use .3delight_bash instead.

Second, after exporting the RIB (make sure to check the box for collecting the resources or you’re in for a world of frustration) you will need to edit the .rib file and point all of the references to the Linux path of the rib/collection directory.  DS will write out absolute windows paths into the RIB and you’ll need to use a text editor to search/replace those references.  I have a set of scripts that do the work for me, but they’re not written portably.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-15

ran the bash file and evrything seems to installed,

Silly question, where do i get the option to export to a rib file?
been to export and dont find it there

Posted: 13 August 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Marchosius - 13 August 2012 02:39 PM

ran the bash file and evrything seems to installed,

Silly question, where do i get the option to export to a rib file?
been to export and dont find it there

It’s in the “render settings” tab, Advanced Options.  At the bottom.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-15

ok did that now. How long does it take for the rib file to be made?

Do I have to wait for the render to complete on the daz side?

hope you dont mind all the questions, apart from being fairly new to linux this is kind of a first for me to go deeper in the render settings of daz as well, I know that try and error will play a big role, but having a mentor helps lol

Posted: 13 August 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Marchosius - 13 August 2012 02:54 PM

ok did that now. How long does it take for the rib file to be made?

Do I have to wait for the render to complete on the daz side?

hope you dont mind all the questions, apart from being fairly new to linux this is kind of a first for me to go deeper in the render settings of daz as well, I know that try and error will play a big role, but having a mentor helps lol

You’ll get a render window, but nothing will show.  As soon as the DAZ render progress windows disappears you’re ready to start working for real.

Kendall

Signature 

1 of 2