Digital Art Zone

Problems adding Decals to models
Posted: 10 August 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-14

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why I am having problems adding a decal to an imported .3ds or .obj model.

I am importing .3ds & .obj objects from LeoCAD and have no problem with rendering, manipulating etc.

However when I try to add a rectangle in the texture room, a new rectangle appears in the shading list, but nothing appears on the model.

If I take an object (i.e. milk bottle from Carraras models.) then everything works happiness and light, so I think I am doing it correctly.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing this. I have tried converting to primitive & vertex modeler but that does not seem to help.

I am using Carrara 7 pro.

I have watched all the tutorials I can find, thus getting as far as getting my decal on the carrara milk bottle, but I am now stuck.

Please throw me a lifebelt, cause I’m drowning! I’ve hit my heat against a wall now for 2 days and not getting it right.

I am importing a minifigure head, plain head, no face or anything, from LeoCAD and want to apply the face which I have made in Photoshop and saved as a Jpg & Tiff as a decal in Carrara.

Posted: 11 August 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30

Are these .3ds or .obj models UV mapped?

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 18 August 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-14

I am importing 3ds files from Leocad. I don’t know any other details than that.

I try to convert to vertex modeller and that fails too, not sure if its related.

I have got around the initial problem by modelling a new head from scratch, but the next item is a lot more complex and I do not fancy modelling that.

Are there any options that I should be looking at?

I have gone into the modelling room and the item converts to a primitive modeller but when trying to convert it to a vertex, it states that an error occured.

I managed to get another item to import and convert to vertex but still will not accept a rectangle/decal.

I have tried to attach a small item, but the forum page says that “the filetype you are trying to upload is not allowed” even though its a .car file & a 3ds file. Guess I am doing something wrong there too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 18 August 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15247
Joined  2003-10-09

THe attach feature is for attaching image files. .jpg, .gif and .png are the allowed file types.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 19 August 2012 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30

If you’re exporting yourself, use obj.  No need to convert anything that way.

Then uv map it.  Should work from there.

3ds is tricky.  Try converting those with 3d studio max - the program they are “meant for” - or blender, or something else.  I’d stay with obj format whenever possible.

Hope it helps…

Signature 

MOO!