Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Please, do a version of MIke 5 and Vicki 5 for poser.
Posted: 25 May 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2005-01-07

Please! do a version of mike 5 and Vicki 5 for those of us who still use Poser. I understand that they will not have all of the features of Genesis, but there is no reason why you can not do a Poser version too. I have been a loyal customer and platinum club member for many years and I have invested a lot of money (literally thousands of dollars ) with you building a library and now I feel totally abandoned.

Posted: 25 May 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2005-08-20

Why? Did they take the library you already have away from you?

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 26 May 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15947
Joined  2003-10-09

This is something that has been debated ad infinitum. 

The only way to use These figures at the moment is through the CR2 export plugin for Daz Studio.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 26 May 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2005-01-07

@Ascania - not all Poser stuff works in DAZ studio and if I change over I am going to loose a large part of my library and a large investment of both time and money..

@Chohole - yes and that would require me to use DAZ Studio which is the whole point of my post (and it would also mean that even a slight change to a pose or anything else would be a lot more work). If this has been the subject of so much debate, it just shows that I am not the only customer that feels this way.

...and what if I do switch over to DAZ Studio and build a new library? how do I know that five years from now that you are not going to do the same thing and switch again? I just think that its lousy to try to force customers to do something that they don’t want to. I am so disappointed in DAZ it just turns my stomach when I sign in now. I used to come here several times a day looking for new products etc. and now it makes me feel bad to visit because I just think of all the money I have spent and see it going down the drain.

...and worse for DAZ I am finding less and less to spend my money on, I come to your sight with money to spend and now have trouble finding stuff that I want or can use. I want to be a loyal customer, I want to spend my money here, I just don’t seem to be able to find anything to buy anymore. You are forcing me to go to other sites to look for products I can use and I don’t think either one of use wants this.

In case I haven’t made this clear, you would get HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS in sales from me TODAY if you had Mike 5 and Vicki 5 for Poser. I don’t know of any business in this economy that can afford to alienate customers with money that want their product.  Please, reconsider you decision to turn you back on poser customers.

Posted: 26 May 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12

@StrangeFox

I agree. It would be nice to have a version of V5 for Poser. I’m not a Poser user (I use Carrara, and the 8.5 version has been playing havoc on people’s systems).

If a topic has been discussed ad nausseum, maybe that’s because it is something that needs fixing. Not hushing up.

Thanks for your post.
cool smile

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 26 May 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  2004-03-03

The thing to understand is that DAZ cannot do a ‘version of Mike 5 and Vicki 5’ for Poser. Mike 4 and Vicki 4 were built on Poser technology, Mike 5 and Vicki 5 are not. M5 and V5 use a lightweight mesh (less than a third of the polys as M4/V4) that nevertheless bends better and renders smoother than M4/V4 in DS4 because of the specific joint systen and subdivision systen used in DS4, and the mesh being constructed specifically for that joint and subdivision system. And the addition of new morph sets and UV sets is transparent to the user without any need for injection and/or product reinitialization because it’s built on a completely different systen to Poser.

DAZ cannot just produce a version for Poser because Poser does not support the technologies that are used in m5/V5. it does not use the same joint system, or support the subdivision system. it does not support reading the formats of the files that the figure is in, or the on the fly morph and UV set integration system.

If DAZ were to produce new figures for Poser, they would be exactly that - new figures for Poser.  They would not be versions of M5/V5; they would be an entirely new product line of Poser figures, constructed to get better results than with M4/V4 by designing them for the systems and file formats used by Poser. Just to start with, the base mesh would have to be quite different, at least around the joints, customized for the Poser joint system and smoothing; following that would have to be a new rig; and then some new system for morph set distribution; and so on and on. So if you wish to ask DAZ for that, then go ahead and ask, but be clear on what you are asking for - a NEW figure set for Poser, not ‘versions of Mike 5 and Vicki 5’ that aren’t going to happen and can’t happen unless SM decide to develop and integrate implementation of the DS4 joint system, sub-division system and file format (and a few other things) in Poser.

So if DAZ were to start a product line of new figures for Poser, it would be a new, parallel line to M5/V5. Given that they haven’t even started on any such thing, even if you ask and they decide to grant your request tomorrow, it would be starting this new line from scratch, and products wouldn’t see the light of day for a long time. But frankly I see no sign that DAZ have any desire to develop and support any such parallel new Poser line, only continue support for V4/M4 as long as PAs wish to keep on making generation 4 products. while pressing ahead with the generation 5 - Genesis - line built on DS4, not Poser technologies.

Posted: 26 May 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2005-01-07

Yes, DavidGB, that’s what I am asking for. I should tell you that I have a degree in toy design and I do 3D modeling, etc. I understand the work involved. So let me be clear, I am asking DAZ to be loyal to all of those of us who have been loyal to them. I am asking DAZ to support all of those of us who have given them our money and been members for years and who still use Poser. Let’s be really clear about this, this site WAS BUILT ON POSER CUSTOMERS.

I still wish to be a customer. There is still money to be made from poser customers. I like DAZ and wish to remain a member. All I am asking for is the opportunity to do so. Am I such a bad guy for asking DAZ to offer me something that I can buy? Am I really so rotten for saying DAZ why don’t you want my money? Many other companies create and support multiple formats, DAZ could if they wanted too.

and once again, I have to agree, if this is the subject of endless debate, them maybe its something that should be addressed and not ignored.

Posted: 26 May 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3237
Joined  2007-06-22

And where would your idea leave us DS users, as far as I’m aware if they made a figure with the same technology as Genesis which worked in Poser it wouldn’t work in DS.

Posted: 26 May 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7959
Joined  2004-07-21

Is something wrong with V4 or M4?

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 26 May 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2004-09-27
scorpio64dragon - 26 May 2012 03:06 PM

And where would your idea leave us DS users, as far as I’m aware if they made a figure with the same technology as Genesis which worked in Poser it wouldn’t work in DS.

But you would still have Genesis.

Back to the OP…...Daz has already stated that they will not be doing a V5/M5 for Poser. So like the rest of us Poser users, if you do not wish to use DS (or can’t), you will just have to keep using the previous Gen figures or Poser figures.

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  329
Joined  2008-04-09
Miss Bad Wolf - 26 May 2012 03:23 PM

Is something wrong with V4 or M4?

Because they use the old poser rigging system (non-weight mapped), The joints on the Gen 4 don’t bend very well.  Their are some products to try and fix this though, as well as a weight-mapped V4 available.

Posted: 27 May 2012 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1281
Joined  2008-03-30
StrangeFox - 25 May 2012 08:16 PM

Please! do a version of mike 5 and Vicki 5 for those of us who still use Poser. I understand that they will not have all of the features of Genesis, but there is no reason why you can not do a Poser version too. I have been a loyal customer and platinum club member for many years and I have invested a lot of money (literally thousands of dollars ) with you building a library and now I feel totally abandoned.

If I recall a post from the old forum correctly, it was stated that Smith Micro pulled the plug on Genesis support, not Daz, so you need to be badgering Smith Micro, not DAZ.
Be well grin

Signature 

[Join the little green box collection party!]
Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 27 May 2012 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14272
Joined  2003-10-09

We don’t need to point fingers, please.  Adding full Genesis support in Poser would require several new features, which makes it non-trivial, though we may hope that now that the DSON specification is available some combination of Python scripts and calls to .dlls may make an reasonable approximation possible. However, it is not surprising if a developer felt unable to do all of that in the middle of the planned updates and should not be grounds for accusations or loaded wording.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 27 May 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1281
Joined  2008-03-30
Richard Haseltine - 27 May 2012 05:27 AM

We don’t need to point fingers, please.  Adding full Genesis support in Poser would require several new features, which makes it non-trivial, though we may hope that now that the DSON specification is available some combination of Python scripts and calls to .dlls may make an reasonable approximation possible. However, it is not surprising if a developer felt unable to do all of that in the middle of the planned updates and should not be grounds for accusations or loaded wording.

Apologies, Richard if I have ruffled feathers, that was not my intent, I had stayed out of the Daz vs Poser till now and will be stayng out of it in future. Be well grin

Signature 

[Join the little green box collection party!]
Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 27 May 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4544
Joined  2004-08-11

Also, you might want to pop over to RuntimeDNA and look for the weight mapped version of V4.  I hear word that an M4 version is in the works!  grin  Here is the link: http://www.runtimedna.com/WMV4.html

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 27 May 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2006-12-26
RAMWolff - 27 May 2012 02:18 PM

Also, you might want to pop over to RuntimeDNA and look for the weight mapped version of V4.  I hear word that an M4 version is in the works!  grin  Here is the link: http://www.runtimedna.com/WMV4.html

She actually looks very cool.  Joints look great and it says clothes can be converted easily, and fit better.  AND she is FREE!  Hats off to the artists, looks like the answer to allot of questions.  DAZ might ought to think about offering her in the store.

Signature 

Peace.

1 of 2