Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
SOLVED: Carrara Memory Leak: Myth or Fact? How to deal with it? Thanks for everyone Advice!
Posted: 11 August 2012 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1938
Joined  2008-01-28
JoeMamma2000 - 11 August 2012 04:59 AM

Okay, let’s step back a bit…

If a system is running unusually slow, it’s generally caused by:

1. The system is busy doing other stuff that takes too much time away from what you want it to do, or

2. The system memory resources are being used to the point where the OS has to swap memory out to a slow hard disk, or

3. An application is going wonky and takes all the processors’ effort, or

4. Other stuff I can’t think of off the top.

So to figure out what’s going wrong with your system, you should try to simplify and isolate. Check to see if the system is busy doing other stuff (maybe it’s downloading updates in the background, or has too many applications running that require processor time, etc.), or check to see if it’s running out of memory (leak, etc.), or one of the applications is hogging the processors. And to check to see if it’s solely a Carrara issue, shut down all other apps and just focus on Carrara.

Whether you’re also running Chrome and Photoshop really doesn’t matter. What matters is if they are causing the problem or not. If there’s a lot of disk activity when the system is “laggy”, then that’s good information. If the memory used by Carrara goes from 1.2GB when you load a scene, to 12.3 GB after 6 hours, there’s a problem.

Again, simplify and isolate. And again, Task Manager is your friend. It can tell you how much CPU time each app is taking, how much memory, as well as graphs of history, and whether the system is busy downloading stuff in the background. And check the disk access light(s), they’ll tell you if the disk is working overtime and slowing things down.

Thanks Joe , I took your advice and t ook snapshots of task manager over a few hours - that was very helpful!
The culprit is in fact Photoshop elements. Once I close some image files the program still keeps what ever memory it was using
engaged.
What irony. There I was thinking Carrara was making Photoshop elements lag - when it was the other way round.

Problem solved. Much obliged.

Thanks to everyone who suggested things!

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 11 August 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
ManStan - 11 August 2012 07:21 AM

I must have missed out, are the DDR4 memory sticks out? Best I can do is 12 gig, that is max with 4 slots for DDR3/3gig sticks. Are there now 8 gig sticks? or 4 gig stick and 8 memory card slots? Don’t even want to guess what that set up would cost.
Right now I am running 6gig and will expand to 12 as finances allow.

My dream is 4 more comps just like this one, for a render farm wink

Hi manstan smile

This is what I have. The extra 8gig cost 59 dollars australian.
I didn’t do any research before I b ought it. Didn’t have enough time…

Intel i7 3770 CPU standard clock

GA Z77-D3H motherboard
16 g DDR3 Kingston 1333Mhz

120G Corsair SSD Force 3 SATA 3 SSD + 2 times 2TB Seagate SATA 3

2G Geforce GTX 670 PCI Express

Lg Blu-ray Burner SATA
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Built in Gigabit lan USB 3.0 SATA 3.0 SATA Raid…..

seems to go okay except for the lag mentioned in this thread

Signature 

Posted: 19 August 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1374
Joined  2011-01-03
head wax - 10 August 2012 08:33 PM

Thanks Richard. I accidently bought 16 gig, I only really wanted 12 wink
You know I once bout a computer with 8mb of ram. Every mb cost me one hundred dollars….

You can never have too much RAM!  wink

To monitor system resources over time, I would strongly recommend using Performance Monitor. It can be a bit tricky if you aren’t a systems guru. However; it will allow you to collect very detailed information about your performance over time.

I tried doing a series in the old forums on performance troubleshooting. I may re-do that if there is a demand.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 19 August 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1374
Joined  2011-01-03
head wax - 11 August 2012 05:24 PM

This is what I have. The extra 8gig cost 59 dollars australian.

Aussie prices for stuff like this are insane! I’ve often wondered about moving back Down Under—but I’m not sure that I could afford my 3D hobby anymore!

My new beast has 64 GB RAM. I can’t imagine what the cost of building it in Australia would be.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 19 August 2012 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
Garstor - 19 August 2012 02:34 PM
head wax - 10 August 2012 08:33 PM

Thanks Richard. I accidently bought 16 gig, I only really wanted 12 wink
You know I once bout a computer with 8mb of ram. Every mb cost me one hundred dollars….

You can never have too much RAM!  wink

To monitor system resources over time, I would strongly recommend using Performance Monitor. It can be a bit tricky if you aren’t a systems guru. However; it will allow you to collect very detailed information about your performance over time.

I tried doing a series in the old forums on performance troubleshooting. I may re-do that if there is a demand.

thanks Garstor.
I will keep an eye on that.
I r emember that series - it was very good - thankyou.
Out of interest that computer I bought coast 1862 Aus $

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22
wendy♥catz - 10 August 2012 01:48 AM

I have 5 external drives and 4 usb dongles plugged in to my desktop, sometimes more!
all My Daz stuff and Carrara scenes on one inc C8.1 64bit exe if I need it instead of the beta

just that one I no longer use, causes issues
so it is ok but you might need to isolate if one is faulty

Sounds like you got a DONGLE fetish! LOL!

2 of 2