Digital Art Zone

any free/cheap flash type game creation apps?
Posted: 09 August 2012 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7286
Joined  2009-07-13

I was looking at Google play and some of the flash type games and though it would not be that hard to use renders to make my own if only one had a game engine to drive it, preferably on Android.
though shockwave flash or java ok too.
was thinking in particular of the various talking animals with touch screen movements
one would only need all the phonemes rendered for the face and a means of accessing the inbuilt text to speech engine with the phonemes used to do a talking animal, and a few tweened body movement renders.
I ofcourse know nothing of scripting and programing but wondered if there was a simple application out there already that does this sort of thing, links images, gifs and videos to user imputted events in a simple language even a noob can understand.
I have no doubt a PAID app exists and unlikely to be very cheap, Adobe flash springs to mind!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13696
Joined  2003-10-09

Moved to the Commons - Developer Discussions is for DAZ Studio scripting.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13
Richard Haseltine - 09 August 2012 01:30 PM

Moved to the Commons - Developer Discussions is for DAZ Studio scripting.

sorry, I though game development meant game development by any means even 2D renders

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 09 August 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2003-10-09

“This is a public forum, intended as a gathering place for developers to discuss the projects they’re working on and help each other out.” I agree, Wendy. There is nothing that even mentions DAZ Studio scripting in the forum description.

As for game creation, you can get The Games Factory 2 relatively cheaply.

For free, I’ve heard good things about GameSalad (available at http://gamesalad.com/ )

Posted: 09 August 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

that game salad looks cool from my brief look
and
it does android!
thx, might check it out (on my computer later, on Android now)
if you try Googling Android games, you get
wait for it
lots of Android games!
not apps for making them! tongue wink
and no, don’t worry RH is right? the OLD forum had a game developer section, that forum was more for Daz development

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

Hi Wendy

Its very cool that you are looking at this!

I had a quick look at Gamesalad and it looks like a pretty neat idea. What you need to be aware of is cost : $300 per year. It doesn’t say whether you can buy it for 12 months, build your game and then distribute/sell your game without renewing, or whether you’re tied to $300 per year as long as your game is alive. Also, the content looked quite pricey ($10-$30 per product) and I couldn’t find anything on what default content is included with the app. So you may need to fork out an additional $50-$100 for content.

HTML5 should be your preferred technology, as both Microsoft and Apple have (quite surprisingly) practically ditched other technologies (in particular, Adobe Flash) in favour of HTML5 for front end apps + games. I’m sure many people will have different emotional views on this, but if you read up on it you will see that it is one of the few moments in computer history where we’ve had clear direction from the big boys on technology direction.

Depending on how much time you can invest, how patient you are and how much you like to solve problems, you could consider learning to code your game in HTML5 + Javascript. There are buckets and buckets of free tutorials and examples online, and the only stuff that’s a bit more complex from a coding perspective is AJAX (which is probably not necessary for what you want to do). Doing it yourself will take longer, possibly be a little more frustrating in the short term (a game builder app will also need figuring out and come with its own idiosyncrasies) but will be totally free and enable you to do more powerful things (builder apps are usually designed with a specific paradigm in mind, and limit options as you approach creative boundaries).

Another option to consider, is to hire someone online through a sourcing website to do the programming for you (it could cost you only $50-$300 depending on what you want). You come up with the game concept, but just make sure you go through a reliable site and have a clause on IP ownership.

Good luck, it sounds like fun grin

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2006-04-15

HTML5 should be your preferred technology, as both Microsoft and Apple have (quite surprisingly) practically ditched other technologies (in particular, Adobe Flash)

That’s because Adobe has stopped developing and supporting Flash for mobile platforms, encouraging and assisting devs currently using Flash in their mobile apps to transition to other platforms. So, yeah, whatever you choose to do, don’t do it in Flash.

Signature 

“Why’s all the rum gone?”  *looks at the last render*  “Oh. That’s why the rum’s gone…”
DAZ Studio 3.1.2.32 | Windows 7 Pro SP1 x32 | ATI Radeon HD 4200
Say YES to David 5!

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2003-10-09
ThinMick - 09 August 2012 06:30 PM

HTML5 should be your preferred technology, as both Microsoft and Apple have (quite surprisingly) practically ditched other technologies (in particular, Adobe Flash)

That’s because Adobe has stopped developing and supporting Flash for mobile platforms, encouraging and assisting devs currently using Flash in their mobile apps to transition to other platforms. So, yeah, whatever you choose to do, don’t do it in Flash.

Only for web-based stuff, Flash is still fairly well supported for building apps that are run directly on the mobile device. Via web browsers, it never preformed well on any of the mobile devices I tried. I do use it to develop some things for my ios devices, though.

Another option for developing Flash games is Stencyl:

http://www.stencyl.com/

Kinda neat for building stuff that will run on most desktop platforms, ios and (soon) Android and HTML5; it looks pretty good for non-programmers, and it’s free (unless you want to put out mobile games professionally).

—Walt Sterdan

Posted: 09 August 2012 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  929
Joined  2011-05-19

Sure, Try CopperCube, its free version is not crippleware. Check out my tutorial/demo how to make a 3D flash or HTML5 game with Coppercube here http://www.farmpeeps.com/webgl3d_1.html  Follow this to lean how you can make a fun, free game in a evening without coding and using my sample source source example game development walkthrough.

Signature 

just a dreamcutter