Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
equinoxx5’s Renders and Stuff (formerly: (Re-)Constructing the Old West)
Posted: 24 October 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2003-10-09

Well, my Western project is on hold for a variety of reasons, which can be pretty well summed up under the blanket category of “real life.” In the meantime, powerage has released a Wild West Town construction kit over at Rendo that looks to have some pretty cool features.

As for me, I’m not completely idle, and my latest piece has kind of a frontier spirit, of sorts, to it…

“A Stop Along the Way”
Awesome as the road trip was turning out to be, Pete and Tracey were glad to get off the highway for a bit. The Sunrise Inn showed its age, but the owners took pride in the place, and it was clean, comfortable and, in its own way, kind of charming. But seriously… what was the deal with the guy in Room 7?

Image Attachments
AStopAlongTheWay_full.jpg

Posted: 31 January 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

“Just ASK Her Already!”

“C’mon, Ethan, she’s just a girl—”
“She is NOT just a girl, Josh, she’s Amanda freakin’ SPENCER!”
“Whatever, dude. Bottom line here: you want her to go to the dance with you, you gotta ask her. That’s how it works.”
“I know, I know. I just need a minute to work up my—hey! Did you see that? She smiled! She—aw, man… I think she’s smiling at YOU. Bro, that is so not chill.”
“Oh, for crying out loud…”

Image Attachments
JustAskHerAlready_full.jpg

Posted: 31 January 2013 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15312
Joined  2003-10-09

Super expression you have got on her face.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 13 May 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks to the awesomeness of Joequick, rduda, Redfern, BlueBeetle3 and Stonemason, here’s a little love for a couple of my all-time favorites…

“Those Two Guys…”
Blue and Gold. Beetle and Booster. Ted and Mike. Best friends, partners, brothers. To much of the world, even to some of their own teammates, they were considered the jokes of the Justice League. But those who bothered to look past their fun-loving—often, admittedly buffoonish—exteriors knew the truth: when it came down to it, they were heroes to the core.

Image Attachments
ThoseGuys_full.jpg

Posted: 14 May 2013 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  380
Joined  2011-12-14

Blue and Gold return! That brings back some memories! Always good to see them again.

Posted: 17 May 2013 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  618
Joined  2012-12-30

Some very cool work on those Western scenes. Like the more modern ones a lot too, the expressions on the teen faces are fantastic. I hope real life does eventually let you get back to the frontier town though, it’s an impressive project.

Signature 

Historic Sale and Deal Data (updated daily)  | Head on over to Art Studio for Novica and Invited Contributors Tips and Reviews

Posted: 04 June 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Work in progress, based on architectural drawings from 1949 found in North Carolina State University’s Rare and Unique Digital Collections.

Still need to do the restroom windows, the overhead doors for the service bays, a lift for the lube/tune-up bay…

I go back and forth on how detailed I want to get. On one hand, I’m not sure I want to model the tracks for the bay doors. Then again, I actually modeled a key slot into the lockset on the front door. I’m wacky like that.

Image Attachments
servicestation_wip01.jpgservicestation_wip03.jpgservicestation_wip02.jpg

Posted: 06 June 2013 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Service bay doors (no tracks).

Image Attachments
servicestation_wip04.jpgservicestation_wip05.jpg

Posted: 10 June 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Another view inside the service bays… from shortly before I decided to start over.

Image Attachments
servicestation_wip06.jpg

Posted: 10 June 2013 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Really? Start over. That looked great to me. I’m not even a car dude but I Loved that so far.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 10 June 2013 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Jaderail - 10 June 2013 01:25 PM

Really? Start over. That looked great to me. I’m not even a car dude but I Loved that so far.

Yeah, I got a little better read on some of the details in the source drawings. And I’m no Stonemason or Tomalin by any stretch, but I thought I could re-do the mesh a bit cleaner. Thirdly, it’s far from my strong point, but I’m mapping as I go along (not texturing, just laying out the UVs), rather than saving it all for the end; hopefully it’ll be somewhat less daunting this way.

Image Attachments
servstation02_wip01.jpg

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Well haven’t seen the mesh, but from these images it’s looking very nice :)

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 12 June 2013 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Gedd - 10 June 2013 08:20 PM

Well haven’t seen the mesh, but from these images it’s looking very nice smile

Thanks.

“Cleaner” is mainly in reminding myself to delete unnecessary hidden faces (from abutting cube prims and the like). The big thing is laying out the UVs as I go. “Developing a workflow” I suppose you might call it.

Anyway… latest WIPs, to show where I’ve gotten back to (and one with a figure thrown in for a sense of scale). Still need to re-do the non-plate glass windows… and the other thing that leaps out at me now that I see it, is that those interior doors could use some mouldings to trim them out…

Image Attachments
servstation2_wip03a.jpgservstation2_wip03.jpgservstation2_wip04.jpgservstation2_wip02.jpg

Posted: 12 June 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

What are you using on the upper windows btw?

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 13 June 2013 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Gedd - 12 June 2013 11:21 PM

What are you using on the upper windows btw?

The architectural drawings I’m working from specify fixed panes of Velvex (textured glass) for those lites. I haven’t found a really accurate Velvex texture that I like—at least, not a “clean” one—but as a placeholder, I grabbed another textured glass pattern from CG Textures, and plugged it into the displacement and refraction color channels.

Of course, I am straying from the drawings here and there, as well—artistic license. For example, they call for glass doors on the restrooms, which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. Then again, I’m not an architect, so what do I know?

Image Attachments
cfgas_frtelevdet01.jpgcfgas_rrdoorspec2.jpg

2 of 3