Digital Art Zone

47 of 65
GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5!  See why you should do it today!
Posted: 05 September 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 691 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11444
Joined  2007-11-06
Kerya - 05 September 2012 01:20 AM
Kyoto Kid - 05 September 2012 01:12 AM

...maybe we need to mount a campaign for an update to LDP2, similar to the successful one that got the Steph4 body shape for Genesis “unvaulted”.

Campaigns may work for Daz3d - I am not sure they would work for Mr. Belwon.

...looks like I’ll stay with clunky ol’ 3A then.  At least when I do finally move up to 64 bit I’ll have a lot more memory to throw at rendering.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 06 September 2012 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 692 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14715
Joined  2003-10-09
IceScribe - 05 September 2012 04:31 PM

With this latest version of Daz Studio 4.5 I have read through this thread and find the remarks that the Itemized History Items files will no longer contain DS files and some others but those will be replaced with a new file format.. Sorry, I am very dumb about the files and background mysteies of what makes the program go,  but I want to understand this statement. I ask therefore:

If I choose to continue with DAZ 3 for a while, and need to reload in the immediate future an item I purchased at DAZ..before DAZ 4.5 .

does this mean the newly downloaded “reload” item will not load/run in the old DAZ 3 version?

Will Bryce 7 Pro be able to import the new version of the updated Item History download?  Recent DAZ4 sends to Bryce crash.

I won’t go into the all reasons why I continue to use DAZ3, unless you want to know. I understand this is a promotion for the new version.

I believe the Bryce Bridge is working in 4.5, though I haven#‘t tested it. As for downloads, it’sa lways a good diea to keep a local copy of the installer (I have a shoe box full of CDs and DVDs built up over the last ten years and more) - however, I’m not sure that older content is necessarily going to switch to being supplied in .duf format. Even if it is, as long as you can run DS4 you can save a material preset using the deprecated .dsa format and apply that to the Poser format models to use them in DS3 (as long as there is a Poser format version).

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 06 September 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 693 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...too “geek” for me.  This is the kind of thing that made me quit CGI in the “old days” when Mainframes ruled and you had to sell your firstborn to afford enough time on a Cray for your project.

I’m beginning to feel that 2.3.3 for all it’s flaws came the closest to taking things from an artist’s POV.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2012 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 694 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1831
Joined  2005-12-31

I’m beginning to feel that 2.3.3 for all it’s flaws came the closest to taking things from an artist’s POV.

I really think that depends on the artist and the POV they hold. I think that the ease of use added since then have greatly enhanced the artists experience for me. The only thing left that I don’t really think is angled well from my artistic POV is shader mixer.

Posted: 06 September 2012 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 695 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...just read a post on another thread concerning setting up custom runtimes in 4.5 (form a fairly experienced user) .  Seems the CMS has a few issues with custom setups that require a lot more effort on the user’s part than it does in older versions of the application.

In 2.3 I rarely if ever had to mess around with a lot of “geek” stuff to get things to work the way I wanted them to compared to what Ive seen people in 4.5 have been dealing with.

The shader mixer and figure mixer in 3A are jokes as well.  I gave up on both of them.

I’ll stick to PP2010’s “Materials Room”.  That at least works for me even if I have to apply it one zone at a time.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 696 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6118
Joined  2006-02-20

At least you don’t have to use CMS - I turned it off. You can still use the tree view like in DS 1.x. smile

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 07 September 2012 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 697 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...I actually uninstalled the CMS, (or at least thought I did).  A couple months later when I was in the Task Manager Processes tab, I noticed it was back.  Don’t know how unless it was reloaded when I installed some new content.  That bugger is worse than blackberry bushes to get rid of.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2012 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 698 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4841
Joined  2004-07-01
Kyoto Kid - 07 September 2012 12:49 AM

...I actually uninstalled the CMS, (or at least thought I did).  A couple months later when I was in the Task Manager Processes tab, I noticed it was back.  Don’t know how unless it was reloaded when I installed some new content.  That bugger is worse than blackberry bushes to get rid of.

are you still waiting to put that puter together - whats it been 2 or 3 years ?

Posted: 07 September 2012 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 699 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3303
Joined  2007-06-22

Any idea when the new version with the fixed Area Lights will be availble?

Posted: 07 September 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 700 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2006-09-05

If I may play Devil’s Advocate, since you didn’t notice it was back (and therefore there can’t have been any impact on your system), why keep on trying to remove it? It seems a pointless exercise to me!

Posted: 07 September 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 701 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  364
Joined  2004-03-03
gw3972 - 07 September 2012 08:23 AM

If I may play Devil’s Advocate, since you didn’t notice it was back (and therefore there can’t have been any impact on your system), why keep on trying to remove it? It seems a pointless exercise to me!

Somme of us don’t like unwanted services running. If it’s not wanted, then it’s just something else that may mess things up, and it takes up resources unnecessarily. Maybe not a lot of resources, but these things are cumulative: one unwanted service, plus another, plus another ...

Personally, after getting fed up with uninstalling it after each update, I instead went to the services control panel, stopped it and changed the startup type to manual. As I don’t choose to start it manually, it is never started. And the settings have remained through several 4.0 upgrades and the 4.5 upgrades. At least currently this appears to eb the easiest optioon for those of us who don’t want it. I just remember to ckeck a little after an upgrade that the upgrade didn’t change the settings back to autostart (the way an iTunes upgrade always replaces those services that are completely unwanted if you don’t have an iPod/PadPlayer and sets them back to autostart again. Grrrrr.) So far they haven’t.

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 702 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4586
Joined  2004-08-11

Keep in mind if you are a content creator and have the CMS off certain things in auto filling in some of the confusing information boxes are left blank.  When CMS is running all this information is made available and what can be auto filled in will be filled in.  So for MY needs, while I don’t use the shaping or smart tab I do do content creation so CMS has proved it’s worth to me for that alone.  If Rob where here he would explain just how much CMS plays into making sure DS runs better for more than just loading content and making Meta Data ....

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 07 September 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 703 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2003-10-09
scorpio64dragon - 07 September 2012 04:52 AM

Any idea when the new version with the fixed Area Lights will be availble?

I second that. Are the downloads reset already? I still work with 4.5 RC2 now only because of this. :(

Posted: 07 September 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 704 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14715
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m sure there will be an announcement when there’s an update.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 07 September 2012 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 705 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2009-08-18
Richard Haseltine - 06 September 2012 07:12 AM
IceScribe - 05 September 2012 04:31 PM

With this latest version of Daz Studio 4.5 I have read through this thread and find the remarks that the Itemized History Items files will no longer contain DS files and some others but those will be replaced with a new file format.. Sorry, I am very dumb about the files and background mysteies of what makes the program go,  but I want to understand this statement. I ask therefore:

If I choose to continue with DAZ 3 for a while, and need to reload in the immediate future an item I purchased at DAZ..before DAZ 4.5 .

does this mean the newly downloaded “reload” item will not load/run in the old DAZ 3 version?

Will Bryce 7 Pro be able to import the new version of the updated Item History download?  Recent DAZ4 sends to Bryce crash.

I won’t go into the all reasons why I continue to use DAZ3, unless you want to know. I understand this is a promotion for the new version.

I believe the Bryce Bridge is working in 4.5, though I haven#‘t tested it. As for downloads, it’sa lways a good diea to keep a local copy of the installer (I have a shoe box full of CDs and DVDs built up over the last ten years and more) - however, I’m not sure that older content is necessarily going to switch to being supplied in .duf format. Even if it is, as long as you can run DS4 you can save a material preset using the deprecated .dsa format and apply that to the Poser format models to use them in DS3 (as long as there is a Poser format version).

@Richard Haseltine Thank you for your quick reply to my question. You have given us some sound advice. I think most of my purchases here at DAZ included the Poser element, but recently, new items purchased in past few months do not, if I understand the changes at all.. But it’s the older items I am concerned about so you have helped me.

Signature 

See my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=IceScribe&x=14&y=10

47 of 65