Digital Art Zone

32 of 65
GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5!  See why you should do it today!
Posted: 24 August 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 466 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2010-03-14

Just wanted to thank you guys for making misbehaving Poser Models work in Studio.
These are two construction set I got at RNA which didn’t behave in Studio 3.0 of 4.0.
Now in Studio 4.5 they are behaving nicely.
So thanks again.
Haslor

Image Attachments
Bad_Models.pngits_fixed_3a.pngits_fixed_3.png
 Signature 

Metadata has a Standard, so please use it!
Creation Instruction coming soon to a Document Center near you.
——————-
Warning: Sitting for more than 6 hours a day is not good for you.
So Stand up, change you desk to a Stand up Desk.
Walking is good for you, so get up and walk for at least a half hour a day.

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 467 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-14
Richard Haseltine - 24 August 2012 07:16 AM
Haslor - 24 August 2012 05:46 AM
Richard Haseltine - 21 August 2012 05:51 AM
LeggyBlond - 21 August 2012 02:06 AM

3.  Do all my Genesis extras also have to be reset and downloaded?

3. a lot of them, yes,

Richard,
Is there anyway for us to know which products have been updated?

Is there a list some place that we can do a compare against what we have?

Could we get a “Last Downloaded” “Last Updated” added to the “Itemized Order History” so we can tell which products have been updated? (Sorting the “Itemized Order History” by something other than product name would be Great!)

I reset two products that say they have been updated, but the Versions of the available Files are the same as the Version I have, which I think came out before 4.5 was release in Beta. So you might understand my confusion.

Do we only need to reinstall if it is the same version?

The last time I started from scratch it took a month of sundays to reload.
Halsor

There isn’t an automatic way - if you get Duplicate IDs when loading the item, check to see if there’s an update (most should have one) or run my script; if morphs don’t appear in the Shaping pane, check for an update (or see the post in the FAQ, which lists most of the sets which have been updated). If you don’t get either of those issues the thing probably doesn’t need updating.

Richard,

I have to say I really like Studio 4.5, the improvements and speed, not to mention the Round Tripping of FBX will be extremely helpful.
That said, I have to shake my head and say your suggested solution above is a poor resolution of the issue.
It could be months before you hit a misbehaving product, then you do it could be crunch time and you don’t have time to deal with it.
I guess another solution would be to step through every item in your library to find the items which need to be replaced.
It would be much easier if we just just see which of our installers/products are out of date, before we have the issue.
Even a “Last Updated” or “Version Number” on the product’s page would be a better solution.
Then we could look to see when we could check the purchase date against the Update date, or check our installer against it.
But the best solution is a sortable “Itemized Order History” with the “Date Updated” or “File Version” added to the item’s row.

I know the Web Site Team has been busy making improvement to the site since it’s redesign.
I also know the requests for improvements to the “Itemized Order History” started the day it was debuted.
This may be the perfect time to act on some those requests, to help us all through the transition of Studio 4 to 4.5.

Just a suggestion
Haslor

Signature 

——————-

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 468 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2005-10-05
Richard Haseltine - 24 August 2012 07:18 AM
inquire - 24 August 2012 07:16 AM
Richard Haseltine - 24 August 2012 07:12 AM

I don’t understand the issue - download the current free Pro version and install it, enter the serial number, and use it.

Richard: You do NOT understand the issue?

Why there’s confusion for users of DS4Advanced in particualr, no. Pro includes all the features they currently have, so they just download that and carry on.

OK! So may I ask, rather than pour through the whole forum again, apart from installing DS 4.5, and I presume ‘Genesis Starter Essentials 1.3’ which I understand updates Genesis in some way or other, what else amongst the plethora of files I have downloaded do I also need to install.

Such things as ‘Decimator’, ‘GoZ; I’m not too sure about although having checked them out, they do seem to simply be extra plugins.

Addenda:- This business of only having one version on your system is actually Tosh!  Whilst admittedly I have multiple drives and partitions, I have had for some time:- DS2, DS3 32 & 64, DS4 32 & 64 all working without any conflicts.

Signature 

Simply…...Out There!

Posted: 24 August 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 469 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2004-12-29

What the heck is this “.duf” format - and how come I can’t save scenes in the old format?

I recently “upgraded” to DS Pro 4.5. I can open my scene files okay, and I can access all my old content - and the auto-fit feature even seems to have been improved.

However, I CANNOT save these scenes in the old .daz file format. The ONLY option I’m given is “.duf.” When I relaunch the application, I can’t even see these when I select “open.” The only way I am able to access them is when I open a scene and choose “Save As” (which I can only do in this dysfunctional format), then click on it, choose “Open” - which launches a 2nd instance of DS - and close out of the first one.

When it comes up, I get the following message: “Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found:”

Then it lists the Genesis .dsf files.

When the scene finally loads, this is what I get (see attached screenshot).

Why do you people keep trying to fix things that aren’t broken? 4.0 had some glitches, but at least it worked.

Image Attachments
Screenshot.jpg

Posted: 24 August 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 470 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-14
kayma - 24 August 2012 11:15 AM

What the heck is this “.duf” format - and how come I can’t save scenes in the old format?

I recently “upgraded” to DS Pro 4.5. I can open my scene files okay, and I can access all my old content - and the auto-fit feature even seems to have been improved.

However, I CANNOT save these scenes in the old .daz file format. The ONLY option I’m given is “.duf.” When I relaunch the application, I can’t even see these when I select “open.” The only way I am able to access them is when I open a scene and choose “Save As” (which I can only do in this dysfunctional format), then click on it, choose “Open” - which launches a 2nd instance of DS - and close out of the first one.

When it comes up, I get the following message: “Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found:”

Why do you people keep trying to fix things that aren’t broken? 4.0 had some glitches, but at least it worked.

Ah, You need to download an install the “14812_GenesisStarterEssentials” that is why Genesis is missing.
Once you start using it I think you will find you will like most parts of the 4.5.
Genesis loads in a fraction of the time and saves are faster. (Seconds rather than minutes)
if you use the built in render engine, I think you will find it much faster. (cut 75% of the rendering time off)
Yes there is some updating you will have to do, but for the most part it fixes a lot of the issue with 4.0, (My experience)

I hope that helped.
Haslor

Signature 

——————-

Posted: 24 August 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 471 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15203
Joined  2003-10-09
LeggyBlond - 24 August 2012 10:06 AM

OK! So may I ask, rather than pour through the whole forum again, apart from installing DS 4.5, and I presume ‘Genesis Starter Essentials 1.3’ which I understand updates Genesis in some way or other, what else amongst the plethora of files I have downloaded do I also need to install.

Such things as ‘Decimator’, ‘GoZ; I’m not too sure about although having checked them out, they do seem to simply be extra plugins.

Yes, those are optional plugins - Decimator is there for people with the paid-for DS4Pro, it won’t work with the free serial number (if you want it you can buy a serial number from the store - it’s for making lower-polygon count versions of items). GoZ and the Photoshop Bridge are useful, if you have the other application - if not, ignore them. All of the items in the Advanced version are in the main DAZ Studio installer so I think you would need only the base installer and the Genesis installer.

Addenda:- This business of only having one version on your system is actually Tosh!  Whilst admittedly I have multiple drives and partitions, I have had for some time:- DS2, DS3 32 & 64, DS4 32 & 64 all working without any conflicts.

Ds 1, 2, 3 and 4 can coexists, and you can have 32 and 64 bit versions at the same time. What you can’t safely do is have two different versions of DS4/4.5, even if one is 32 bit and the other 64 bit.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 24 August 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 472 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-14

People have asked why do I care if I can now share my Scenes with someone?

What about sharing scenes with yourself?
Have you ever had your system crash and had to reload Studio and everything else?
And then you try to open one of your Scenes and you get all sorts of errors?
This was caused by the differences between the two installs of Studio for each install gets a specific code attached to it.
I have reloaded studio twice and come up against this very issue twice.

So while you may not work in a group or share your scene files with others, you do want to be able to open the files your create after you recover from a system crash. Yet another good reason to upgrade to 4.5.

Signature 

——————-

Posted: 24 August 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 473 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1612
Joined  2005-02-25

At first I WAS impressed with teh speed of 4.5

Until i tried to use something other than genesis that is. took over 10 minutes to load V4. TEN FRICKIN MINUTES.  And there’s a lot of lag trying to open non-genesis stuff.

Do we need to reinstall GenX? will it still work with 4.5?
If its broken I’m throwing Daz out the window until its fixed. I *NEED* genX.  There’s just not enough Genesis content yet without it.  Do we also need to reinstall the iconic shapes for converting clothes?

Posted: 24 August 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 474 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2004-12-29
Haslor - 24 August 2012 12:42 PM

Ah, You need to download an install the “14812_GenesisStarterEssentials” that is why Genesis is missing.
Once you start using it I think you will find you will like most parts of the 4.5.
Genesis loads in a fraction of the time and saves are faster. (Seconds rather than minutes)
if you use the built in render engine, I think you will find it much faster. (cut 75% of the rendering time off)
Yes there is some updating you will have to do, but for the most part it fixes a lot of the issue with 4.0, (My experience)

I hope that helped.
Haslor

Thanks - I hope so. Where do I find this file? Do I have to pay for it?

Posted: 24 August 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 475 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2009-09-11
kayma - 24 August 2012 03:39 PM
Haslor - 24 August 2012 12:42 PM

I hope that helped.
Haslor

Thanks - I hope so. Where do I find this file? Do I have to pay for it?

No it should be included in your downloads

Signature 

http://bobvan.deviantart.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37909888@N05/sets/

Posted: 24 August 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 476 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2009-09-11

Haslor[

Sept Reality / Lux is the SH*t   DS 4.5 Reality 2.5 Lux render… It takes longer but I have been working with it for a while and quite like the results…

The Dressing Room

Image Attachments
7851853544_2290ae75c3_c.jpg
 Signature 

http://bobvan.deviantart.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37909888@N05/sets/

Posted: 24 August 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 477 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  898
Joined  2008-11-01
belovedalia - 24 August 2012 03:08 PM

At first I WAS impressed with teh speed of 4.5

Until i tried to use something other than genesis that is. took over 10 minutes to load V4. TEN FRICKIN MINUTES.  And there’s a lot of lag trying to open non-genesis stuff.

Do we need to reinstall GenX? will it still work with 4.5?
If its broken I’m throwing Daz out the window until its fixed. I *NEED* genX.  There’s just not enough Genesis content yet without it.  Do we also need to reinstall the iconic shapes for converting clothes?

GenX is a plug-in, and all plug-ins needed to be updated to work in 4.5. Many are already updated, but I don’t know how the GenX one is coming along.

I think this the thread with the current updated plugins:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/5976/

Posted: 24 August 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 478 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2011-01-15

I swear I’m getting so fed up that I might NEVER update to 4.5! There is so much conflicting information about how/how not to install and what works and doesn’t work that I’m almost ready to dump Genesis and go back to Poser and that wierd looking Antonia weight mapped figure from that other outfit. And I HATE Poser!!!

The really sad thing is that the knuckleheads in charge of this D|S 4.5 boondoggle could have made it a painless process. All it would take is an Official “How to Install or Upgrade to D|S 4.5” thread. But you know what? THERE ISN’T ONE!!!

The very first post in this thread has a link to the installation instructions for D|S 4 on Windows (or Mac). So I click the stupid useless link and what do I get? A friggin empty post! There is nothing in that thread except a table of contents for the instructions that do NOT exist and 2 images to help me find out where to install my serial number. Not only was this post not updated for 4.5 it doesn’t even have any content for 4.0. Epic Fail!

WTF Daz??? I KNOW you can do better than this!

Signature 

My Daz Gallery - My Deviant Art Gallery (Nudity!)

Posted: 24 August 2012 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 479 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2007-11-06
Haslor - 24 August 2012 05:46 AM
Richard Haseltine - 21 August 2012 05:51 AM
LeggyBlond - 21 August 2012 02:06 AM

3.  Do all my Genesis extras also have to be reset and downloaded?

3. a lot of them, yes,

Richard,
Is there anyway for us to know which products have been updated?

Is there a list some place that we can do a compare against what we have?

Could we get a “Last Downloaded” “Last Updated” added to the “Itemized Order History” so we can tell which products have been updated? (Sorting the “Itemized Order History” by something other than product name would be Great!)

I reset two products that say they have been updated, but the Versions of the available Files are the same as the Version I have, which I think came out before 4.5 was release in Beta. So you might understand my confusion.

Do we only need to reinstall if it is the same version?

The last time I started from scratch it took a month of sundays to reload.
Halsor

A list of the latest version number of all Genesis add-ons can be found here:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/3885/

Both improvements to the Itemized Order History and the Install Manager are being worked on; in the interim, Jay Nola is kindly maintaining that list.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 24 August 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 480 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2007-11-06
Scott-Livingston - 24 August 2012 07:25 AM
marcusfinnigon - 24 August 2012 05:07 AM
JasmineSkunk - 24 August 2012 05:00 AM

OK…I’m confused what you guys are saying. I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.5 and the only thing I had to do to get everything working was:

#1 - Install the Genesis Starter Essentials
#2 - Insert new serial number for 4.5
#3 - Update the PLUG-INS that have been updated (Like Reality)

I didn’t have to reinstall all my Genesis content or any other content.

All my stuff works.

Same here, every thing I had seems fine.

I’ve been getting those duplicate ID errors, but they don’t prevent me from using the content. For me, the duplicate ID errors are perhaps less annoying than having to reset, re-download, and reinstall dozens of items, especially since there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to check to see if I have the latest version or not. Just starting that process now, but I’m taking my time about it…

Latest version numbers of Genesis add-ons:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/3885/

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

32 of 65