Digital Art Zone

25 of 65
GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5!  See why you should do it today!
Posted: 22 August 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 361 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2006-04-15

Lots - 4.0 and 4.5 cannot coexist on the same system.

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 362 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2003-10-09
-willowfan- - 22 August 2012 09:07 AM

Ok, why?

I would like to know before this potentially fucks up my entire project directories.

What does it do to the existing content that was installed with the previous versions? Does it uninstall those as well? Which content directories does it remove? Since I have multiple copies of the default content.

I’d like to know the impact I am dealing with.

Signature 

My Gallery

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 363 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

For anyone else that needs to know the file sizes:
DAZStudio_4.5.0.114_Win64.exe is approximately 126 MB
Genesis Starter Essentials 1.3 - exe - pc is a little bit under 450 MB

Signature 

My Gallery

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 364 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1121
Joined  2010-09-19

I’m finding the final version of 4.5 is booting up way faster than earlier versions… and after a significant number of items reset & reinstalled, it’s starting to “feel” better now.  smile

Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 365 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2006-07-16

Does 4.5 have Property Editor and GenerationX yet?  I can’t upgrade until they’re in.

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 366 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4931
Joined  2004-07-01
JQP - 22 August 2012 09:35 AM

Does 4.5 have Property Editor and GenerationX yet?  I can’t upgrade until they’re in.

just wondering what you use GenX for ?

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 367 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-16

it seems to me a straightforward update would have been far simpler

Greener, too.  I remember in the days of yore, developers released small updates, patches, etc.  Now they all just re-release the software.  Makes it much harder on dial-up users (nobody gives a rat’s arse about dial-up users though, amirite?  Let them eat cake).  Now Google’s got a hundred zillion servers cranking out CO2 but they’re lefties, so none of the “green” lefties know nothin.

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 368 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-16
bigh - 22 August 2012 09:37 AM
JQP - 22 August 2012 09:35 AM

just wondering what you use GenX for ?

Gen4 morphs to Genesis.

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 369 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2010-11-30

The Cartoon Render Option in the Render Settings is definitely not working correctly with 4.5.  I spent a few hours during various renders of figures and scenes to confirm if it was messed up.

Currently it isn’t applying the Cartoon render to everything in the scene and many objects look the same as if they had been rendered without it.  Many of the figures I rendered were just looking the way they would if they were rendered normally in most of the renders I did.

Some scenes I had in 4.0 that used it, had just basic lights and no custom additional shaders are looking very dark and over light in some spots when rendered in 4.5.  Details are not viable and the scene doesn’t look right at all.

I’ve attached a bad 4.0 test render I set up inn about 15 minutes a week ago to show some one how the default cartoon render option looked and re-rendered that same test scene in 4.5 and have attached it.

The 4.5 as you tell looks dark and messed up in the attached images.

Image Attachments
Old_4.0_Test_Render_.png4.5_Render_.png

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 370 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

An hour and twenty minutes of downloading and an incomplete download.

Made it to 103 MB and Firefox deemed it done. Does it execute? Of course not.

Will Firefox let me continue the download? Nope. It insists that the file is done.

Insert your preferred string of obscenities here.

Signature 

My Gallery

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 371 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-16
Legionair - 22 August 2012 10:10 AM

Will Firefox let me continue the download? Nope. It insists that the file is done.

I feel your pain brother, I really do.

There’s money in a startup to burn & sneakernet files to dial-up users and others on low-bandwidth connections, I’m tellin ya.

Edit: lemme take a WIIIILLLLLLD guess; you can’t get anything with real resuming capability (like Downthemall!) to even start the file, amirite?

One day companies will tumble to the fact that bittorrent is a technically superior format for file distribution.

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 372 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  390
Joined  2004-03-03
BishounenTaurus - 22 August 2012 08:56 AM

It would be much more useful however if we could do something as simple as change the UV map settings of the shell. That way, we really COULD use it to blend the textures of geografted shapes, or we could use Jepe’s M4 bodyhair over an M5/V4Male base texture.

As it’s just a projection of the underlying geometry (which is why it is so lightweight in the scene), it’s not going to have a different property of that type.

We can’t use the old method of creating two Genesis figures and conforming one to other, for as soon as you use one of the main shapes (such as M5, Hitomi, Jason, etc), the proportions go completely out of whack.

What I do in this case is, after loading the first Genesis and creating the M5 textured character, is to simply load another Genesis, switch it to the M4 maps, apply the Jepe body hair, and apply the push modifier to it which gives it the same Mesh offset parameter for the second Genesis (the bodyhair one) as you get with a geommetry shell. Then just copy the shape from the M5 Genesis to the M4-bodyhair Genesis and dial out the Mesh offset the same as I woould with the Geometry shell. Then I DON’T fit/conform the bodyhair Genesis to the M5 character Genesis. After posing or re-posing the M5 Genesis character, just copy the pose to the M4-Bodyhair Genesis. It only takes a moment to copy the pose, and the M4-Bodyhair Genesis just sits round the M5 just like the geometry shell would. Because it’s not conformed, there’s no problem with scaling proportions getting doubled and all that.

Yes it’s a few clicks to load the second Genesis and apply the push modifier and copy the shape from the first; and it’s a click or two to copy the pose from character to bodyhair after a re-pose of the character. and you are not getting the resource saving of the shell over the secon Genesis. But it’s really easy to do, takes less time to do than it’s taken me to describe it, and works perfectly for having the effect of the shell but with different UVs. Specifically putting a Jepe M4 Hairy over an M5 textured and morphed Genesis was the first thing I did with the push modifier function after discovering it and what it did wwhen it first appeared in a beta.

As it stands right now, the geometry shell doesn’t have much in the way of use that couldn’t already be done using the Layered Image Editor.

I’m afraid I don’t agree with that at all. With the LIE you have to create displacement maps to lift e.g. body hair over the surface, and even then the hair is in effect ‘stuck’ to the surface; with the geometry shell (or a second Genesis used as a ‘suit’ via the push modifier) you don’t need to make a displacement map and e.g. hairs can be above the surface shadowing beneath according to the light angle. With the LIE you may have overlayed the diffuse map over the top of a base, but the whole surface has the same surface shader type, specularity settings etc; with the shell, you can apply a completely different shader, never mind just material settings, to the surfaces on the shell. With the LIE you can’t use the UberArea Light on the surface and still have a normally colored and shadered surface while having an even colored glow emanating from a figure or prop. With the LIE you can’t produce a forcefield surface around a figure or prop. And with the LIE you can’t have something like clothes colliding with an overlaying displaced outward component rather than the ‘zero’  displacement of the surface.

It’s possible the geometry shell doesn’t have any particular use for anything you want to render at the moment; but it certainly has many possible uses for other things others may want to do.

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 373 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2006-04-15
JQP - 22 August 2012 10:29 AM
Legionair - 22 August 2012 10:10 AM

I feel your pain brother, I really do.

There’s money in a startup to burn & sneakernet files to dial-up users and others on low-bandwidth connections, I’m tellin ya.

Edit: lemme take a WIIIILLLLLLD guess; you can’t get anything with real resuming capability (like Downthemall!) to even start the file, amirite?

One day companies will tumble to the fact that bittorrent is a technically superior format for file distribution.

Blizzard have used bittorrent for quite a while now to distribute their game patches.

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 374 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  390
Joined  2004-03-03
Legionair - 22 August 2012 09:12 AM

Ok, why?

I would like to know before this potentially fucks up my entire project directories.

What does it do to the existing content that was installed with the previous versions? Does it uninstall those as well? Which content directories does it remove? Since I have multiple copies of the default content.

Wewll, the first problem is that 4.5 and 4.0 use the same preferences files, Registry entries etc, but there have been changes in options and suchlike. So if you leave 4.0 and install and run 4.5, then run 4.0, 4.0 will be very confused by reading its settings and preferences and states from files and registry entries that have all sorts of 4.5 entries in that it doesn’t understand. And if you manage to sort thaat out and get 4.0 back with all its settings and preferences and states right and close, then start 4.5 again, 4.5 will read the redone 4.0 preferences and settings and states, and you’ll find the new 4.5 menu entries and options and tools and whatnot will have vanished from the GUI. And that’ll happen each time you switch between the two.

As for content, installing 4.5 and letting it uninstall 4.0 (which you should) will ONLY remove the DS Default content (base Genesis, Journyer scout etc that was installed by all the 4.0 DS installers)) and should not touch ANY of your other content - e.g. Genesis Evolution morphs ot anything else. The new separate Genesis basic content installer will then replace the base Genesis etc in the slightly upgraded 4.5 .duf format, and you shouldn’t actually notice any change to your conent at all.

Note that through the 4.0 and 4.5-beta versions, DAZ were tweaking the new dsf and duf file formats, so including the base content in the DS installers was reasonable as quite often it had been changed slightly. Now (at least supposedly) the new duf and dsf file formats have been locked down in their final form, so there will no longer be changes to the base Genesis etc content files as versions of 4.5 progress, so there’s no reason to include them in further DS updates, just bulking out the DS download file and having them uninstalled and reinstalled each time DS is updated for no reason whatsoever.

Posted: 22 August 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 375 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
DavidGB - 22 August 2012 10:45 AM
Legionair - 22 August 2012 09:12 AM

Ok, why?

Wewll, the first problem is that 4.5 and 4.0 use the same preferences files, Registry entries etc, but there have been changes in options and suchlike. So if you leave 4.0 and install and run 4.5, then run 4.0, 4.0 will be very confused by reading its settings and preferences and states from files and registry entries that have all sorts of 4.5 entries in that it doesn’t understand. And if you manage to sort thaat out and get 4.0 back with all its settings and preferences and states right and close, then start 4.5 again, 4.5 will read the redone 4.0 preferences and settings and states, and you’ll find the new 4.5 menu entries and options and tools and whatnot will have vanished from the GUI. And that’ll happen each time you switch between the two.

As for content, installing 4.5 and letting it uninstall 4.0 (which you should) will ONLY remove the DS Default content (base Genesis, Journyer scout etc that was installed by all the 4.0 DS installers)) and should not touch ANY of your other content - e.g. Genesis Evolution morphs ot anything else. The new separate Genesis basic content installer will then replace the base Genesis etc in the slightly upgraded 4.5 .duf format, and you shouldn’t actually notice any change to your conent at all.

Note that through the 4.0 and 4.5-beta versions, DAZ were tweaking the new dsf and duf file formats, so including the base content in the DS installers was reasonable as quite often it had been changed slightly. Now (at least supposedly) the new duf and dsf file formats have been locked down in their final form, so there will no longer be changes to the base Genesis etc content files as versions of 4.5 progress, so there’s no reason to include them in further DS updates, just bulking out the DS download file and having them uninstalled and reinstalled each time DS is updated for no reason whatsoever.

Thank you for the info. You know it would be nice if DAZ provided this…  Instead of, you know, a year old installation information PDF with no information of any value in it.

Signature 

My Gallery

25 of 65