5 of 6
Learning UberEnvironment 2 Return To Topic
Posted: 03 January 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14
wancow - 03 January 2013 12:56 PM

Okay, I found out something interesting just now.  If I lower the intensity I do, in fact, lose that colour bounce, but if I double the intensity scale, I seem to get it all back.  Have you explored that yet?

I haven’t but that makes sense.  What you’re doing.  If you lower intensity to 50% but increase the scale to 200% you’re back to where you started.  (Effectively 100% since 50% x 200% = 100%)

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 03 January 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Make sure you catch these examples of Bounce Light (GI) mode on the previous page: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/210362/

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

Basically, the first render is UE2 with GI enabled, the light intensity at 100%.  The colour bounce is what you’d expect.  The second is the intensity at 50%, and the colour bounce corrospondingly goes down.  The third is still at 50%, but with the Intensity Scale set to 200% so I get all the colour bounce back that I had in the first render.

Image Attachments
uegi-1a.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 03 January 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14
wancow - 03 January 2013 02:07 PM

Basically, the first render is UE2 with GI enabled, the light intensity at 100%.  The colour bounce is what you’d expect.  The second is the intensity at 50%, and the colour bounce corrospondingly goes down.  The third is still at 50%, but with the Intensity Scale set to 200% so I get all the colour bounce back that I had in the first render.

Yes, as explained above that would be exactly as expected since 50% x 200% = 100%.

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Forgive me… I’m a little giddy for having discovered something allbymyself… smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 04 January 2013 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7776
Joined  2009-05-14
adamr001 - 03 January 2013 01:24 PM

Re: GI mode… What GI mode in UE2 means is that it is the “bounce” calculation provided by IBL w/Direcitonal Shadows mode without the primary light cast by the IBL map (You end up with just the bounce, that’s why it says “Bounce Light (GI)”.  The Bounce Light mode should only be used when other lighting is the primary source of light in the scene. This will give you the color bouncing of objects without taking the full IBL mode render time hit (in theory anyway).

Thx Adam couldn’t do this myself as my computer went pop the other day but you explain things so much better than me anyway. smile

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 04 January 2013 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
Szark - 04 January 2013 09:20 AM
adamr001 - 03 January 2013 01:24 PM

Re: GI mode… What GI mode in UE2 means is that it is the “bounce” calculation provided by IBL w/Direcitonal Shadows mode without the primary light cast by the IBL map (You end up with just the bounce, that’s why it says “Bounce Light (GI)”.  The Bounce Light mode should only be used when other lighting is the primary source of light in the scene. This will give you the color bouncing of objects without taking the full IBL mode render time hit (in theory anyway).

Thx Adam couldn’t do this myself as my computer went pop the other day but you explain things so much better than me anyway. smile

This is becoming my favourite thread… smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 04 January 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Glad to hear it.  It has been one of my favorites as well.  Thanks for bringing it back to life with more questions and a few answers! :D

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2005-01-19

I have a question about UE2. I need to restrict the use of a UE2 light in a illuminance bucle, but I don’t know if there is a parameter __category for UE2 that serve for illuminance and lightsource functions in SL. If it there is, Does anyone know what is?

Signature 

Playing with shaders

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20283/

Posted: 09 July 2013 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2012-12-18

Okay, I’ve read this entire topic over and over and over again, and I STILL don’t understand anything;.

Mainly, why does the default UE light (and neon light) turn all the objects into black silhouettes?  Even when I play around with the render settings and UE light colors, and shading rates, this does not change.

Also, what are the diffuse/spec/ambient lights, how do I create them, and why do I need them?

This tutorial is INCREDIBLY nice and all, but it isn’t basic enough, and it’s not cxomplete.  Could you please add a troubleshooting & FAQ section to your tutorial for things like this?

Posted: 10 July 2013 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  0

opal, double click on “!Uberenvironment2 Base” when you have a scene without other lights. Do you still get black silhouettes?
If so then there’s something wrong.

Spec lights are good for (the way i use it) skin shininess or special “effects”, like displacement veins or water drops.
Just add a distant light and set it to Specular Only.

Signature 

http://vilsus.deviantart.com/

Posted: 10 July 2013 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
opal42987 - 09 July 2013 07:25 PM

Okay, I’ve read this entire topic over and over and over again, and I STILL don’t understand anything;.

Mainly, why does the default UE light (and neon light) turn all the objects into black silhouettes?  Even when I play around with the render settings and UE light colors, and shading rates, this does not change.

Also, what are the diffuse/spec/ambient lights, how do I create them, and why do I need them?

This tutorial is INCREDIBLY nice and all, but it isn’t basic enough, and it’s not cxomplete.  Could you please add a troubleshooting & FAQ section to your tutorial for things like this?

First off in Adam’s defense this is ONLY about UE2 and not other lights. If you want to know about Area Lighting try this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/14536/ which the Neon Light preset is a part of and not UE2.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 10 July 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2012-12-18

Ohhh.  Also, I apologize if I came across as aggressive—that was not my mentality at the time, I was merely a bit frustrated and anxious.  And now, I feel like an idiot for not noticing (or not registering) the “UE2” part >_<

Posted: 10 July 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

No problem I was just pointing it out to save any more cobfusion. No harm was done.

OTish: Yes this is a lot to take in at first and trust me you won’t take it all in overnight it will take time and one day it will all fall in to place, if you work at it. I often go back to tutorails months in not years later to refresh the info and once you have done that for a few times it soon sinks in. These younger folks these days can soak this stuff up like a sponge but me I need to drill it in. 4 years later I am happy with what I know and have a serious thrist for more.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 04 August 2013 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6888
Joined  2012-09-10

Okay, question. The light from UE2- does it penetrate THROUGH things? I’m not sure how that works with any of the lights frankly, never had to think about it (sheepish but always admit what I don’t know.)  I’m asking because the feet in my scene are flatly lit because they are in a slightly shadowed area. The rest of her, I’m still playing with the specular but will have to tone it down I think- so I have two different problems on the same figure. (OF COURSE I do, lol)  (EDIT: I’ll post just the area in question when the render finishes.)

When people encounter areas in shadows,  is it best to go into the Surfaces tab and just adust the specular for that area?
And Adam, thanks for the thread. Tutorials take SO much work to do the graphics and explanation- I know this took you days to do. Appreciate you very much.
Cathie

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #4   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

5 of 6