Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Rendered image is crisp, rendered video frame is blurry
Posted: 05 August 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2012-01-07

When I render one frame of my scene as a jpeg, the image is nice and crisp; but when I render as an MOV file, the frames are blurry.
Still image:

Image Attachments
Carrara_8k.jpg

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-07

MOV video frame:

Image Attachments
Carrara_71e.pct_.jpg

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-07

Here’s another example. Still frame crisp:

Image Attachments
Carrara_8e.jpg

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4800
Joined  2006-08-27

You’re going to have to give a little more information. When doe the render appear blurry, When the movie is in the process of being rendered? After it’s rendered and you want to watch it? What are your render settings? What codec did you use? What options were set in the codec? etc. etc.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-07

Rendered frame blurry:

Image Attachments
Rendered_movie_frame.jpg

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-07
evilproducer - 05 August 2012 03:09 PM

You’re going to have to give a little more information. When doe the render appear blurry, When the movie is in the process of being rendered? After it’s rendered and you want to watch it? What are your render settings? What codec did you use? What options were set in the codec? etc. etc.

The final movie video product is blurry. What I am posting are extracted video frames. Strangely, the frames look good while they are the process of being rendered—i.e., if I sit and watch the process in the render room of Carrara; but the finished video is still blurry! (?)

I will post screenshots of my render settings, but the same thing happens no matter what settings I use, whether I use full raytracing, bump, or what level of object accuracy and antialiasing. The still is crisp and the video is blurry.

Image Attachments
Screen_shot_2012-08-05_at_4.12_.39_PM_.png

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-07

Output:

Image Attachments
Screen_shot_2012-08-05_at_4.12_.53_PM_.png

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

What codec? Click the options button next to where it says Quicktime Movie. It should open a window with a list of codecs. The frames you see being rendered for the movie looks fine because I believe Carrara compresses the frame either when it’s done rendering the frame or the entire movie according to the codec and the settings within the codec. If you have a medium or low compression, you can get a fuzzy image.

There’s another possibility with Quicktime’s player, but before I get into that I’d like to see the codec and it’s settings.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

Yes the CODEC is the issue here. I for one pick NONE as far as the compressor OR sometime ANIMATION! AND ALWAYS MILLIONS of color pLUS.

You can always dumb it down later if you need to, Sort of like sending your kids to public School!

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

There’s also a quality slider within the codec’s options that you can adjust. Depending on the codec, some default to a medium quality. Animation is a good codec to use if you’re using alphas. Just make sure it’s color depth is set Millions Plus. The plus is for the alpha channel from what I’ve read.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-07

Here are the jpeg options: “Excellent.”
These are the codec settings:

Image Attachments
Screen_shot_2012-08-05_at_4.39_.47_PM_.png

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-07

This is going to be a keyed-in background for a DV short video, letterboxed, so I used the DV codec.

Posted: 05 August 2012 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

That helps a lot! The good news is that you don’t have to re-render!  The DV/DVC Pro codec will display at a lower resolution in Quicktime Player, but if you stick it in a video editor like Final Cut Pro it’ll look fine. You can force Quicktime to display the video at full quality, by going to the Window Menu-> Show Movie Properties. Select the video track in the Properties window and check the High Quality option in the lower right corner of the window. Here’s some screen shots to help:

Image Attachments
Picture_1.png
Picture_2.png
Picture_3.png
Picture_4.png
 Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-07

1. That worked perfectly. Thank you so much!
2. How the h*ll was I supposed to find that out ... *ever* ... without the kindness of strangers? When people have little sections on their web pages entitled “Tips and Tricks,” the “trick” part is supposed to be figure of speech!

Posted: 05 August 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

I’m glad I could help! Good luck with your work!

Just in case anybody else is following this thread, I want to emphasize that when asking for advice or help, there’s no such thing as too much information! The subsequent posts with the descriptions of the problems and the screen shots helped narrow the issue down pretty quickly!

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
PhoneyBaloney - 05 August 2012 05:05 PM

2. How the h*ll was I supposed to find that out ... *ever* ... without the kindness of strangers?

Well, the way you learn the basics is to learn the basics first, and not jump into CG software before you know what you’re doing. Not trying to be a pain, but all too often people complain bitterly about the software when the fact is they don’t know what they’re doing in the first place.

Every step of the process of image generation requires that you are mindful of the compression of your images, all the way thru the process. That means when you render it you know exactly what you are rendering, when you make it into a movie you know what your compression is, when you view it you have to know what the viewer is doing, when you edit you have to know what the editor is doing and how/if it’s doing any compression, etc.

Professionals generally have a plan for image compression, and start out with uncompressed renders and try to maintain as much of that quality throughout the process to the final product. That often takes a lot of planning and consideration, and you can’t expect the software to do that for you. It’s a function of speed vs. file size vs. quality.

Players are often designed to play faster and use a highly compressed version of the movie so that all users can see the movie in real time independent of their hardware. And sometimes that’s okay for editors because they just want a draft view of what they’re doing. But sometimes people want to see the full quality of their movie, which is especially the case with editors looking at the final product. But it all depends on what YOU need. Which is why you need to decide what you want and make sure you have the software set up to do that.

And occasionally, that means you actually have to find the user’s manual and read it.

1 of 3